Phantis Forums

A' Div: PAOK- Kallithea

Ziaka

On Sunday we play Kallithe at Toumba. Time to get back to winning if we want to keep any chances of making the UEFA Cup. We can't afford to drop points at home, specially against teams such as Kallithea.

My prediction: PAOK - Kallithea 2-0

Well I'm optimistic about this match and I hope some of the newer players can assert themselves and make their presence felt on the club...and on the scoreline.

Kallithea however, are coming off a game where they thrashed the opposition 3-1.

Hoping for a 1-0 score but thinking it'll be a 1-1 or 1-2 scoreline.

Bravo re PAOK, 3-1 win. :D I heard we played real well in the second half!

Good start with the new coach.

Hey Batigol,

I didn't get to hear the game, but here's a review I read below:

http://news.ert.gr/en/newsDetails.asp?id=5530

Niko

The win also puts us alone in 5th place (last uefa spot), three points clear of Aegaleo and Chalkidona. :tup:

Still, there lots of games left in the season. But with Oly losing to Ergotelis (reduced to ten men) today, it shows you anything is possible!!!

Question for PAOK fans. Why is making the UEFA Cup such a big deal. A team like PAOK should consider the UEFA Cup as a bad season.

This year I can see it as an accomplishment considering what the team has gone through. Also, where do you see PAOK in 2 years?

Mitso, I agree with you to some extent. Given the way this season has gone I think UEFA is a natural goal for the club. It brings in money and exposes the club to European play.

And that is always good for the team. That is, if the team uses the money wisely. Something they haven't readily done in the past. And under this admin...well, let's just say I'm not holding my breath.

The realities of economics and of other, more political idealisms prevent PAOK from actually ever thinking of the CL as a rational and achievable goal year in and year out.

Last years achievement with Anastasiadis was beyond reckoning. Really, no one ever thought that the club would finish third and vie for a Champions League spot. After all of the mess, all of the financial heartbreak, all of the bull with Batitoudis and the new board, and all of the players leaving, no one ever imagined PAOK finishing 3rd. But they did and it was great.

PAOK just don't have the money and political clout to be real contenders. I think that it's as simple as that. They can't compete with PAO or Olympiakos and even to some extent AEK. They just can't. And that's why it'll always be UEFA Cups for PAOK. And to be honest with you, why not. I've come to respect the UEFA club a lot. Is it the CL? No way, but there are many smaller, respected clubs who vie for the UEFA Cup every year. There isn't any shame in it.

2 years time? Whew...this was one hell of a year. Hard to predict PAOK in 2 years but this is my 2 cents.

If they stay with the current board, they will be under further financial constraints as these guys seem to be looking at burying PAOK under a mountain of debt. I say that because of the comments recently of PAOK's admin going to the NBG to request a massive loan and the talk of building a new stadium.

They'll have a few low to mid level players who will carry them through games and maybe a star or two. Salpiggidis will leave the club within the next two years. More likely frustrated by the lack of proper leadership in the board than the actual lack of salary (This kid is a PAOKZTI through and through). I see him heading to AEK or PAO. But my heart tells me AEK.

The stadium promise will inhibit any type of rebuilding effort on PAOK's part and will alienate the fans even further thus keeping them away from the stands creating a money shortfall. Goumenos will use it as an excuse to justify his lack of signings over the summer and winter periods.

End result...

PAOK will finish 4th or 5th initially. Clubs like Xanthi and Panionios however, are soon going to be in positions to overtake them. They got their s%$t together for the most part. Especially Xanthi. With every passing year that this present crew (admin) are there at PAOK, the worse it'll get.

Good question Mitso, and good answers Batigol. Depressing... but realistic, if things continue as they have been.

Batigol, you make a very good point, that PAOK building a new stadium at this juncture is financial suicide. It's doing things ass backward. I'd rather have a good/great team, and a crap stadium, then the other way around. I'd take a champions league spot over a new stadium anyday. Why not develop a great team, that will consistently draw in the crowd (and money), then think about a stadium? Once you're on strong financial ground, then and only then should you think about building a new stadium. I also agree with Batigol that a new stadium, and a crap team will alienate the fans.

The sad thing is (like Mitso said) PAOK should be capable of vying for one of the top three spots in the greek league. We have enough fans (which bring in money), and if that income was managed well, we could develop into a force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately until things are run differently, PAOK will always vie for the 4th or 5th spot, occasionally reaching the top three, and sometimes tanking it.

PAOK, (and most of the greek league for that matter), is built on a weak foundation, a little strife sends the whole castle built with cards crumbling down. A good example of this is PAOK at the begining of this year. Sure PAOK had a bad start, but why the hell fire Annastasiadis? Doesn't he deserve a little more respect for taking average talent the year before to the Champions League?

Regarding specifically to where I see PAOK in the next two years... I see anything as possible. We can win the league, or tank it. The reason I say this is because I see the Greek league as a whole as very badly managed. Even with PAO and Oly, every time you sneeze they have a new coach. That only creates instability and doubt. Now the same thing (coaching turnover) is happening with PAOK). The only reason PAO and Oly succceed more is because they have more money.

I'm sick and tired with seeing coaches in the greek league canned the minute the team has a little strife. It's freaking ridiculous. It's happened with PAOK, PAO, Oly... Don't people realize that every team is going to have its ups and downs... we're human beings for f*ck sake.

Look at Otto, thank god he wasn't canned when he lost his first two games of Euro qualifying... For peete sake give coaches and players a chance before you put them on the cross...

Anyways, I'm degressing :D , Mitso, where do you see Aris the next two years?

Archived