Phantis Forums

Trond Sollied

trifilli

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

he won the Belgian title only once, and a few cups, but may win the double this year (if we win both postponed games, we're still 8 points behind, Bruges only losing game this season in the league was against us, so thinks look good for them) and all other years he finished 2nd

so 2000-2005: 1 (maybe 2) title(s), 2 (maybe 3) cups and always top 2, not outstanding, but also not bad at all

In Europa he achieved some nice results (eg last year, beating Dortmund, Ajax, Milan) but there were also disappointments, losing in the CL prelims this year to Shaktar Donetsk, and not even qualifying for the next round of the Uefa Cup (they lost to Dnepro, achieved a draw against Wien and Zaragoza, and only won against Utrecht)

- the guy has a strange sense of humour (but I kinda like it);

- don't expect him to learn some greek soon

- players often find him a good coach, someone that learned them a lot

- the guy has his own kindof tactical system, making bruges play like a machine, but negative side is the system might become a bit predictable after a while (according to some journalists)

- seems to get the best out of teams

- was voted best belgian coach of last season by his collegues

he also achieved good results working with AA Gent (98-2000) and - not to forget - Rosenborg(96-98, two titles) !

Funny, I was just reading an article about this guy 2 days ago about how he managed to get the best out of Phillip Clement who scored a hat-trick starting for the first time this year. From the very little I've learned about this guy, he seems much better than Skatzny ...

the only thing i dont like is that kavouro is paying a lot of money on a gamble and not something fairly certain. sure we cant call him cheap but how long do u guys think he will last? if next season we are poor again then hell feel like an idiot paying so much- or worse he will not fire him to get more use out of him which is potentially bad that the guy has a safe job regardless of results already....

Thanks Zeekoi for that info.

I am curious in asking if he is good at player development and which type of systems he prefers to play. What relationship does he have with star players?

Sollied favours the 4-3-3 system and always plays with wingers.

Zeekoi can explain the rest....

Yea this guy doesnt sound that bad generally, besides the fact he failed to qualify for the champions league and the uefa this year ;) :tdown: <_< :la: , lets just see how soon we get him here and what he can pull out of this team for the last half of this season

No offence to you ZeeKoei but I do not think Dnipro got 2 draws and a win! I know they are already in Round 3 of the UEFA Cup and they only lost to Zaragoza and had a record of 3-0-1 in a very tough group.

Anyway to get back to the topic, Sollied is a guy who takes pages an' pages of notes during a game. As Kojak said he usually prefers 4-3-3 but the wingers also support the defence and that formation usually turns to 4-5-1 whilst his team plays an away game (that's how they tore AC Milan)...

I have a friend in Norway who, when asked about this guy, only had good things to mention about him. He did say that he has been critisized for what he termed "predictable" football.

But he did mention that he's always had to work with little. Rosenborg may be Norway's biggest and most successful club, but they don't have the money of the big clubs in Europe to compete in terms of big signings. Same appears to be the case in Belgium as well. He ended off by saying that for what the man has had to work with, he's been fantastic. Go figure...

Anyway, it's an interesting move by PAO. It'll be interesting to see who he brings along with him in terms of Belgian or Scandinavian players. Given the core group he already has at PAO and his reputation, he should be able to work some magic....next year.

Ive been reading over the brugge fans forum on their site, using altavista translate to english etc, and have been reading snippets what was able to be translated.

Some are glad he is leaving, some are not, and those who are not glad, are simply worried about who the replacement will be, rather than that he is such a great coach.

Apparently, he likes attacking football, but sticks to the same tactics and style continiously never changing, thus becoming predictable, "ala Scasny".

They say he is a good coach, but against defensive teams..his style sucks big time.

He makes great decisons tactically, only to then do the biggest m*****es and ###### everything up.

They are shocked to hear that he is leaving belgium for a lowly greek league, and thought that he would have made the leap to a german/english etc. which means they do rate him a little.

There are another set of fans who beleive, that there is no way he is leaving brugge, and that no agreement has been made, and that he is most likely to end up at standard leige.

How come this guy is leaving the Belgian leauge, and a first place team (with CL presence next season) to come to Greece?

What I have to say is based on what I've read these couple of days...

If this guy can get the best out of a player and a team, he's good for us.

If this guy plays attacking football, it's good for us.

Predictable? Hey, if he can make a disciplined team play with a system and consistently who's going to challenge him in Greece??!! (com'on, relax, don't give me the crap about CL, etc.... we suck and can't even play in a crappy domestic league... let's correct this first)

Look, of course, I'd have liked a great(er) coach, but if this guy can come in clean house of the primadonas, have a free hand in doing his work (without interference from cliques and/or ownership), whip our players into a well-operating machine, and stay long enough to do his job, then I'll be very happy.

I just want to see some decent football from PAO (and the good results will follow) and a changing of the mentality within our organization.... We need to regain the air of a champion and that our kolopaida to realize that they play for a team with lots of great history!!!!!!

Thanks Zeekoi for that info.

I am curious in asking if he is good at player development and which type of systems he prefers to play. What relationship does he have with star players?

Zeekoi can explain the rest....

wow............4-3-3 forwards????

Papadopoulos --- Konstantinou -------Gkekas/Manolis .......... :la:

This was also posted on a brugge fan forum, in response to pao fans, requesting information.

Opinions are very mixed on this board.

I am a big fan of Sollied. He has a very clear, interesting and attractive view on football. First of all, he always starts from the strength of his own team, with paying too much attention to the adversary. He mainly plays in a 4-3-3 concept in Bruges, because that is the best way to use the space on a football field when you are the stronger party and because it is an attractive way of playing.

When he came to Belgium, Sollied was a novelty that created a lot of positive buzz. He introduced new concepts in our football, he made our team to be more efficient with less energy, learned them an intelligent system that they can always fall back on, a system that tells them where to walk or run at any time of the game, holding one thing in mind: the goal of football is scoring.

In this 4-3-3 you need a lot of physical force in the midfield. Midfield players in this concept have to bridge the big spaces (helped by the attackers when the other team has the ball) and get the chance to come in a scoring position. Typical about Sollieds system is his use of 'alternating centre attackers'. He doesn't use typical wingers, because the attackers in the right and lift wing of the team change position all of the time and get in a scoring position nearly as often as the regular centre attacker.

There are different reasons why Sollied is not loved by everyone here:

1) Some say that he's bad news for young players, because he emphasizes the importance of experience.

2) Others say he doesn't like creative players, because his system is based on fysical rather than technical talents and that his system kills creativity. (I don't think this is true, but I won't start a discussion)

3) Others say he makes crucial mistakes in certain games by making wrong tactical choices and not changing his 4-3-3 concept. They say that Sollied is the main reason why we didn't succeed in surviving our UEFA-cup group.

4) Most people are bored with him, which is of course not a good reason for dumping a trainer.

5) Some say he's too stubborn, always playing the same tactics, even if the situation asks another approach

I read on Contra spor that Tzigger's second choice was Lottar Matteus!!!!!!!!! OHMIGOD...we came this close to getting another.. Schumzni

I'm glad we didn't get him. Tzigger is a total moron. He exhibits traits that I see here, in the US, where very rich owners (including my Mets, or the Knicks, Giants, not to menton other teams) who are incompetent, spend money and they get NOTHING, absolutely nothing. Tzigger should sell the team. PAVLO, are you listening?

Anyway, this guy has more experience than "Schumzni" and has more to show from his coaching days.

I was expecting that...as this was also the masterplan of Scazny. Tziger want's the team to play duch style 4-3-3 and based on our roster I don't think that's such a bad idea.

Scazny tried to teach that system to the players but everyone was talking about a 4-5-1 as he was playing with midfielders on the wings rarther than Attackers.

To tell you the truth I don't expect any immediate success for the team. These things take time.

1) He needs to learn and evaluate his roster

2) He needs to teach them the new system the way HE plays it

3) He must decide who is gonna stay and who's gonna go

4) What kind of players need to be brought in

And then maybe the team will start rolling. I don't want to raise my expectations to high about this guy.

I just hope that other than a big paycheck, he has asked for a decent transfer budget.

Archived