Phantis Forums

FT: Panionios 0-1 Newcastle

ukchris

So, the boys held out for a long time, but finally fell to a very late penalty. Ameobi was certainly looking for the penalty (it came a few minutes after a very obvious dive) but the Panionios defenders were perhaps naive to get so near to him and sandwich him. But it certainly wasn't a clear penalty - Ameobi seems to like pulling his own legs away from himself.

Newcastle probably deserved the win having had so much of the ball in the second half, but it was tough on Panionios to hold out until a couple of minutes from time and then concede what wasn't a definite penalty.

So a disappointing result, but Panionios can take some positives. They held out for 87 minutes against the top-seeded team in the group and, afterall, finishing third in the group will be good enough to progress.

So keep your chins up boys!

UK Chris - good choice of teams mate.

I'm a Brit who lived in Greece for more than 15 years and adopted Panionios as my team too. May have been something to do with the fact I was a kid who had been taken from his homeland and moved elsewhere. Much like Panionios as you'll have found out from other threads on here.

There are two things needed to be a Panionios fan: an incurable romantic and a masochist. Enjoy the ride bro... And enjoy the Greek fiancee.

When's the wedding and what's your English team?

Thanks mate. The wedding is in February. As for my English team - it's York City. We fell out of the football league for the first time in 70 years last season and currently lie 18th in the Conference. Not good. So Panionios are super-successes compared to that!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived