Phantis Forums

ESPN and champions league

ESPN Deportes to launch full time in early 2004

Updated August 19, 2003

Disney (NYSE: DIS) unit ESPN has announced that it will expand its Sunday night Spanish-language US cable/satellite TV service ESPN Deportes to 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

The launch of ESPN Deportes as a full-time service will occur in early 2004.

According to several sources, ESPN Deportes is expected to air AT LEAST 4 UEFA Champions League matches on each match day from the Round of 16 and all 4 matches from both legs of the quarterfinal round, with doubleheaders on match Tuesdays and Wednesday usually at 2:30pm Eastern Time. ESPN Deportes is expected to also air both legs of both UEFA Champions League semifinal series and the final.

Update: ESPN Deportes will NOT have Spanish Primera Division futbol when it launches in early 2004. ESPN International has decided to acquire TV rights in Latin America and Caribbean to Italian Serie A instead.

ESPN Deportes will offer its weekly futbol talk show Fuera de Juego, hosted by ESPN Latin America futbol play-by-play announcer Luis Omar Tapia. Tapia did play-by-play for Univision Sports during World Cup 2002.

ESPN Deportes will also air SportsCenter en Espanol, a nightly sports news and information program, with emphasis on entertainment sports consumed by US Hispanic viewers. SportsCenter en Espanol will compete against TeleFutura's Contacto Deportivo, Telemundo's Titulares Telemundo, and FOX Sports en Espanol's Score Final.

ESPN Deportes is currently available to about 13 million US TV households on Sunday nights via analog or digital cable in selected areas, as well as via DirecTV Para Todos direct broadcast satellite TV. A "DirecTV Multi-Satellite" dish capable of receiving programming from both the 101 and 119 degrees longitude orbital positions, in addition to a DirecTV satellite receiver (manufactured after 1999) capable of receiving programming from multiple satellites, are required to receive DirecTV Para Todos programming.

The best way to make sure you cable/satelitte operator carries it is to call them and request it.

I assume (and this a total guess on my part) that if you are getting ESPN Deportes on Sunday night (for baseball and US football) then you will probably get it when the channel goes 24 hours. On if you will have to pay for it or not, your guess is as good as mine.

I'm not sure if they have any info on the subject (I can't speak Spanish) but the website is http://espndeportes.espn.go.com/

Right now ESPN Deportes is not being carried on Dishnetwork. I don't know if it will be available when it goes 24 hours a day in January. I would suggest you contact Dishnetwork and tell them you want it on when it becomes available in January.

As for DirecTV, ESPN Deportes is available as part of the DirecTV Para Todos Spanish language package. It remains to be seen if it will remain that way in January when the channel goes fulltime. The price for the DirecTV Para Todos presently is $ 33.99/month and you need a second dish to receive it.

Archived