Phantis Forums

Hellas - Czech Republic - Semifinal

slick13

Uefa have decided the ridiculous yellow card issued to Pavel Nedved in the quarter final will stand, despite TV footage showing a dive by Chelsea's Jesper Gronkjaer. This means another yellow against Greece would see him suspended from the final in the event of a Czech victory.

A very significant decision by Uefa, which could play a big part in the outcome of the game. I predict some 'clever' play by the Greek midfield, especially Karagounis.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/e...rep/3848561.stm

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I'm not mistaken, didn't the Czechs lose two defenders to injury? I would say that losing two defenders greatly downsizes a defense in terms of skill, especially since I'm assuiming they were starters. In that case, I would say Charisteas could wreak havoc amongst the Czech defense. As for the Greek defense, we need to play a stellar man on man game, especially on Baros and Nedved. If Dellas and Seitaridis play like they played against France, it's all the better for us. Lastly, Nikopolidis will need to be the leader in defense. He needs to keep a good position in the goal at all times and he always has to be alert. We can not depend soley on Nikopolidis making save after save, but he DOES need to play good.

As for starters and substitutions... I think Vryzas ought to start. Vryzas and Charisteas up front sounds good to me. Bring on Demis if we need him later. DEFINITELY start Giannakopoulos. Have Tsartas come in in the second half sometime, but not TOO late. I like our defense, let it be as it is.

My prediction for this game is Greece 2 - 1 Czech Rep. after regulation time. And I also think that Charisteas will find the net at least once.

Zito H Ellada! :lol: Go Greece!

I agree with the score slippery209 2-1 ELLAS! Regarding strategy, I thought the first half that we played against France was one of the best I've seen Greece play in all of EURO so far. I would implement a similar strategy in pressuring the Czech's and not letting them control the ball for big periods of time. Against France in the second half I was concerned we were laying back a little too much, but that could of been due to us getting a little tired, or maybe strategy... my guess is strategy, knowing Otto. Hell, we did score in the second half. Still, the way I look at, is if we play like we did in the first half against France, for the whole game, we can beat anyone. Go ELLAS!!!

Before I say anything, I must tell you guys: being only 13 (yet fully mentally mature), I still play video games :P Visiting the Soccer (or, Football) message board at www.gamefaqs.com, I got some demoralizing news.

I had posted a topic on the footie board, called "Euro 2004 Semifinals: Greece - Czech Rep." or something along those lines. I recently went back to the board to check it for replies. I found that there were people who had said that the only reason we beat France was because France was playing bad, and that we will lose to the Czechs because, unlike the French, "they are playing good and actually want to win". "They have the best team in the tournament." People were saying things like that. One even said he wouldn't be suprised if we lost 4 - 1.

I don't know what to think now :( I still hope we win though... any comments on this stuff?

A few facts about the Czechs:

1. They were down 0-1 in their first game to... Latvia. They sweated to win it 2-1.

2. They needed help from the ref to beat Holland.

3. They were dismal in the first half v. Denmark and only won it after the Danes conceded a goal they should not have (leaving Koller unmarked on a corner kick).

The Czechs are beatable! I view it as a 50/50 affair on who goes through! One can say that Portugal, Spain and France all played poorly against us OR one can say that we stifled their game.

Btw, look for a 1-goal difference in this game (if that). I don't think either side will stuff the other.

No worries slippery209. Like I said, I think Greece will win the match. Why?

1. We beat FRANCE!

2.France hadn't lost a game in 15 previous matches before it played Greece.

3. In FIFA's rankings, France is ranked #2 in the whole world, only behind Brazil

4. If you would of listened to the so called "experts" France was one of the heavy favorites to win the Euro this year.

5. In the qualifying round for the Euro, Greece finished ahead of Spain and beat Spain in Spain. Spain by the way is ranked #3 iin the world by FIFA.

6. In the EURO, Greece has already beaten Portugal which just so happens to also be one of the final four!

All of this does not happen by luck or by accident. No matter what happens on Friday, Greece is a new force to be reckoned with in soccer. Don't take any crap that anyone gives you about Greece, be proud of what we've accomplished. :tup:

Like Otto said of the match against France, a team is good as you allow them to be. In other words, Greece shut down a great team.

Niko

I also believe the Czechs are beatable. To think of it any team is beatable these days. As long as our NT puts out an effort like they did against Portugal and France, we have good chance of getting a positive result. I see the game ending in a one goal difference, or even going to OT. I only hope it is not decided on penalties.

2. They needed help from the ref to beat Holland.

They were also down 2-0 to Holland before beating them (with a little help).

If they score early then that 4-1 score is probably right. If they dont then the 1 goal difference sounds more realistic.

12 Hours to go untill Kick off!!!! its FUC-KING BULLSHlT how they canceld it at the Z-Bar in Brighton, i mean who complaned??? the fuc-king aussie poofs?? if it was australia in this situtation they wouldnt do s%$#! all, they probably set up a celebration or something........ :angry: :angry: :angry:

For me Baros does not sound Chech / Slav . But has rather latin elements in it.

Sounds like a Czech name to me. Actually his name could point to Hungarian roots, if it was spelled Barosz.

Time to hit the road to catch the game live.

Hopefully by this time tommorrow we will be talking about the final game against Portugal.

Go Greece!!!!!

:gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived