Phantis Forums

Phantis

Well, will he bring players with him like Mielcarsky, Folha and Rabesandratana......and chase away Dellas and put Kapsis on the bench.........and insisisting on Xiotis as a Goalkeeper ?...... Then thank you very much....... but I prefer Dumitrescu.......

Well, will he bring players with him like Mielcarsky, Folha and Rabesandratana......and chase away Dellas and put Kapsis on the bench.........and insisisting on Xiotis as a Goalkeeper ?...... Then thank you very much....... but I prefer Dumitrescu.......

...and chasing away one of the best players we had in the last 5-10 years... Navas... yeah, Fernando was crazy... but you figure out a way to harness that power...

• 2 months later...

Grapevine in Athens says Santos has just signed a new Contract with AEK.

Caution. The Media are on Strike here, and will be tomorrow too! So now webpages are expected to be updated, or papers printed!

Anyway, even if they were fully operational we would only believe it from the mouth of the man himself.

Lets hope we will learn soon what is going on...

One of the reasons we are in financial difficultly is because of this man ... Santos. He brought in with his visionary approach, players that he did not end up using or could not use. But one thing that they all did was drain us of $$$$ through FIFA. I am very skeptical of his vision and judgement of players. I think he did more harm than good when he was here. Sure, he got second place that year, but you have to remember... he had a team that was so hungry it was willing to do anything to win. I didn't give him as much credit as I gave the team. He consistently made bad moves tactically and especially in the Derbies. Some were much more obvious than others and some were reversable through our play. Obviously all coaches make mistakes, but from what I saw with him at AEK and then PAO was that he doesnt necessarily learn from his mistakes (hello Djorjavic vs. Georgeas) and tends to force his views (Hello PAO). Additionally, he did not do too much at Sporting this year, from what my Portuguese told me.

I just hope he has LEARNED from his mistakes and that he has gained an eye for talent.

Nikolaidis opts for Santos

SBS

AEK Athens owner Demis Nikolaidis has handed Fernando Santos the coaching reigns at the cash-strapped Greek club for the next four seasons.

Portuguese coach Santos returns for a second spell after a successful stint in charge during the 2001/02 season - which included glory in the Greek Cup and a second place finish in the Ethniki Katigoria.

Details of the deal for the former Sporting Lisbon boss have not been disclosed with AEK's future in the professional league still undecided.

Nikolaidis - who was a member of Greece's Euro 2004 triumph - has retired from the game and is focusing his attentions on saving the club from relegation to the amateur league. It is widely reported that AEK is in debt to the tune of $A250million.

Meanwhile, AEK has signed 26-year-old left-back Stavros Tziortziopoulos on a free transfer from Panionios and in more good news, defender Nikos Georgeas has re-signed for a further four years.

Archived