Phantis Forums

Stathis Tavlaridis - (retired)

Ziaka

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at 28 I wouldn't necessarily say he's missed his chance with the NT. Dellas is gone after the Euro and we will need someone to replace him. Goumas and Antzas are not starters. Papastathopoulos and A. Papadopoulos have potential but they are not international calibre CBs yet. So who does that leave?

I just hope this isn't some sort of vendetta that Otto has against him (although I did hear after the Confederation Cup that Tavlaridis had made some sort of comment alluding to the fact that Otto was picking favourites, which is why he wasn't getting selected). The one knock against this player has always been his discipline (or lack thereof) and he does seem to come off as a bit of a hot-head. Personally, I haven't really seen enough of him to really judge this player but I figure if he can play at a high level in France, he must be a better option than either Goumas or Antzas, which to me necessitates his inclusion in the squad, at least for a friendly or two.

I dont see how antzas is capable to defend against Chelsea but not against russia... I dont see how dellas is capable to defend against russia but cant defense against getafe...

i just dont see it.. am i blind or something?

If you call what Antzas did against Chelsea "defending", then no offense, but yes you are blind. As for Getafe, their UEFA cup run showed that they are in fact a quality side. I'm not pretending that Dellas is a world-class defender. Even in 2004, I was more impressed with Kapsis than Dellas (although Dellas was good no doubt). The point is, the Dellas of today isn't anywhere near the level of the 2004 Dellas. He's slowed down considerably and his main strength is in the air and positionally (which still does not prevent him from being burned on occasion). That being said, his experience is an asset and the fact that he is still Otto's first choice at the CB position to partner Kyriakos should give a clear indication of Otto's opinion of Antzas (and Goumas for that matter).

Sorry Legend, but I'll take Otto's opinion over yours anyday.

• 2 weeks later...

tavlaridis played a full 90 minutes in st. etienne's 4-0 destruction of monaco. st. etienne finished the season in 5th place and will see euro football next season.

when tavlaridis' grade for the monaco match is published, i'll post it here.

Considering he's been part of their fantastic defence of late I'm assuming he's been amazing too. It's a shame he's had fall out with Otto.

tavlaridis played a full 90 minutes in st. etienne's 4-0 destruction of monaco. st. etienne finished the season in 5th place and will see euro football next season.

Considering he's been part of their fantastic defence of late I'm assuming he's been amazing too. It's a shame he's had fall out with Otto.
Can we confirm that there was a fall out or is this another poor job of scouting.

I'm happy with the Cyprus call ups ...can't understand why Tavlarides has not gotten a sniff??

Can we confirm that there was a fall out or is this another poor job of scouting.

I'm happy with the Cyprus call ups ...can't understand why Tavlarides has not gotten a sniff??

Lets not forget that he was part of the Confed Cup team -

meaning that he spent some time ( a few weeks) preparing and playing in those contests,

something must have been unimpressive in Otto's eyes, attitude, ability, chemisitry???? Not sure, but it was certainly something

• 1 year later...

I'm watching Toulouse vs St Etienne. Tavlaridis is up against one of the best, if not the best, striker in the French league, Andre-Pierre Gignac. Gignac has been top class as always because he's drifting all over the place and he's just too clever. But Tavlaridis is having a great game. It's 1-1 at half time and Tavlaridis helped start the move for the goal with a very good interception and pass to the right winger. He's also been solid at the back. It's a shame Rehaggel doesn't like him because he's certainly better than A.Papadopoulos.

Does anyone know why Rehaggel doesn't like him?

I'm watching Toulouse vs St Etienne. Tavlaridis is up against one of the best, if not the best, striker in the French league, Andre-Pierre Gignac. Gignac has been top class as always because he's drifting all over the place and he's just too clever. But Tavlaridis is having a great game. It's 1-1 at half time and Tavlaridis helped start the move for the goal with a very good interception and pass to the right winger. He's also been solid at the back. It's a shame Rehaggel doesn't like him because he's certainly better than A.Papadopoulos.

Oh I think it was his 20 minutes vs Brazil in Confed Cup

.....nice evaluator her Otto.....

I believe he has a place in the 11 of our Ethniki with Socrates.

I'm watching Toulouse vs St Etienne. Tavlaridis is up against one of the best, if not the best, striker in the French league, Andre-Pierre Gignac.  Gignac has been top class as always because he's drifting all over the place and he's just too clever. But Tavlaridis is having a great game. It's 1-1 at half time and Tavlaridis helped start the move for the goal with a very good interception and pass to the right winger. He's also been solid at the back. It's a shame Rehaggel doesn't like him because he's certainly better than A.Papadopoulos.

Oh I think it was his 20 minutes vs Brazil in Confed Cup

.....nice evaluator her Otto.....

I believe he has a place in the 11 of our Ethniki with Socrates.

Well to be fair I'd made my original post in the first half. In the 2nd half Tavlaridis was pretty bad. He was at fault for the 3rd goal and got owned a couple of time by Gignac. I'm not suggesting that Avraam would have faired any better but it's clear that Tavlaridis has lapses in concentration

• 4 months later...
  • Dutch Eagle changed the title to Stathis Tavlaridis - (retired)
  • Argy locked this topic

Archived