Phantis Forums

PAOK & Champions League

Ziaka

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way things stand right now with PAOK getting the 3rd CL spot (thgere is always hope that we will get 2nd or 1st place in the league B) ), PAOK will enter the Qualifying Round 3 of the CL. And if things stay the same, PAOK will be seeded in the 16 strong teams of the 3rd qualifying round, which means that we might be able to avoid big teams from Spain, Italy, France, etc.

Related story here from Contra.GR:

http://www.contra.gr/chl/storydetail.asp?ArticleID=39213'>

• 1 month later...

That's true......

When AEK played last July in the South of Germany......... there were present more PAOKtzides than AEKtzides.....

I might be in Stuttgart around....all depends... to my Agenda....

But I don't hope that they will face FC Basle.....because Basle is very near to STuttgart

According to some reports, if PAOK is not able to play its qualifying CL game at Toumba because of the Olympic Games, they will ask UEFA that their home game be played at Stuttgart, Germany.

dont worry theres plenty of greeks in stuttgart!

i was there last month and was shocked i knever knew germany had so many, it was nice because there were some places i could go and not worry about if i dont speak german :) I hardly think they will fill the daimlerchrylser stadium though.

they should have it in the Toumba there are plenty of stadiums in greece for the olympic teams - nobdoy goes to those matches anyways they only need 8000 seats maximum

Assuming Aigaleo does not sell their games like thay did against Aris, and AEK manages to win their next two games.

There is no way PAOK will lose the CL spot. All they need is 2 points against Chalkydona and Aris. Shouldn't be too hard.

It is still uncertain if PAOK will be able to use Toumba for its CL qualifying game.

According to Athens 2004 Organizing Committee (they have control over Toumba during the Olympic Games) thyy have not received an official request from PAE PAOK. And how could they? Mathematically PAOK has not secured the 3rd place yet.

Here is an article from Sportime.gr concerning the Toumba Stadium:

http://www.sportime.gr/html/ent/488/ent.19488.asp'>

is PAOK a higher seed ? does this mean they can play the little teams and get in easy :tup: - not that i dont have faith but i want 3 teams in group stages representing greece.... and since Oly will blow it like usual.... PAOK can do better as long as the toumba is loud enough.... :)

Yes, PAOK will be seeded in the pool of strong teams for the 3rd round of CL qualifying among the 32 teams. All this is assuming that PAOK manages to get the 3rd place in the league.

Right now the way things are there are 13 teams with better coefficient than PAOK among the possible 32 teams. PAOK will either get 14th or 15th place in the seeding among the 32 teams. It all depends on which team from England gets the 4th CL spot.

As things stand right now here are the teams that will be seeded in the weak group of the 3rd round of the CL qualifying:

FC Basel -Switzerland

Benfica Lisbon - Portugal

Red Star Belgrade - Serbia-Montenegro

Maccabi Haifa - Israel

Fenerbahce Istanbul - Turkey

Trabzonspor - Turkey

Banik Ostrava - Czech Rep.

CSKA Moscow - Russia

Additional teams will be known, when the leagues around Europe conclude, and of course the teams that will qualify from the 1st and 2nd qualifying rounds of the CL.

hmm Paok also in the strong group, that's nice !

hope we (Anderlecht) will meet you guys (or other Greek teams) in the group rounds because then we have a nice away game then :tup:

if you play Bruges I also want to visit the Paok games (and it will not be to support our Bruges friends ) :hypocrite:

Especially this year.....with Portugal and Olympics in Greece.......it's okay if AEK gets UEFA spot...and starts only in September......... so they have more time during summer for the saison preparation..... for the administration and on the pitch........and also won't be exhausted during November / December due to the early Saison start...with lack of relaxation due to Portugal for some key players...

It's also a good that a 4th Greek team can participate in the CL in order to make additional European experience.....but it's a pitty for PAOK...that they come just now to the CL....with the above disadvantages.....

Archived