Phantis Forums

PAO Transfers Summer 2011

athinaios

In general, a giant Farce --Greek Tragedy at it's finest.

As I recall, in a classic Greek tragedy there was a moral lesson to be learned in the end, and that usually there was somekind of a character development for the better having experiencing some tansforming event...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, apparently cisse is all but done with his contract with lazio..

pao will be getting only 5.8 million, in my opinion its 2 million too little. i would not even entertain offers less than 7-8 million, shows not only how desperate we are, but again how bad we are at negotiating...we seriously couldnt get another million? we spent 8 on him and now selling him for 5.8 after 50+ goals in two seasons? youve got to be kidding me....

now we need to sign two strikers, at least two midfielders and one or two players in defense....oh yeah, and its july 5th :tdown: we dont have a technical director :tdown: we dont have a budget :tdown: and we dont really even have a plan :tdown:

things keep getting worst and worst for us..

i think everyone knows how i feel..... :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

well, apparently cisse is all but done with his contract with lazio..

pao will be getting only 5.8 million, in my opinion its 2 million too little. i would not even entertain offers less than 7-8 million, shows not only how desperate we are, but again how bad we are at negotiating...we seriously couldnt get another million? we spent 8 on him and now selling him for 5.8 after 50+ goals in two seasons? youve got to be kidding me....

now we need to sign two strikers, at least two midfielders and one or two players in defense....oh yeah, and its july 5th :tdown: we dont have a technical director :tdown: we dont have a budget :tdown: and we dont really even have a plan :tdown:

things keep getting worst and worst for us..

i think everyone knows how i feel..... :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Agree.... You front office has to put-up or shut-up if they don't do anything within a month or so.

apparently if vitolo is able to break his contract with paok, he will be paos first signing of the summer...

a good move in my opinion. vitolo is a solid midfielder. he is a beast defensively and helps bring the team forward despite not being a great creative force...if we are going for free players, he would be a nice option and would fit into the teams scheme well..

problem is, i think paok will pay him the money they owe him, making it nearly impossible for him to get out of his contract for free..so i am doubtful of this deal going through.

apparently they deal is done with vitolo...

he broke his contract, agreed to terms with us, signed on and will be flying to austria to meet up with the team. all of this done in one day!!

apparently he cant play in our friendly matches until atromitos next week before paok are able to make their contract release official...kind of strange if you ask me...

i guess i dont believe anything until I see an official statement or I see him with the clover on...

two days, two signings.

vitolo signed on yesterday and met up with the team in austria today.

quincy owusu-abeye is coming to athens to sign a one year loan deal with an option to buy after we agreed to terms with malaga. he is 25, plays on the wings and can fill in the center as well. primarily a left winger I believe but i think he'll play on the right. from what ive noticed over the past two friendlies, ferreira wants the left and right wingers switching.

we will have extremely quick wingers now. both leto and quincy are very fast and technical players. he had a decent season at malaga last year but has really failed to catch on anywhere. he couldnt catch on a arsenal where he spent half his youth (the other at ajax) he had a couple unsuccessful seasons at spartak. hopefully he will find his form with us under the guidance of ferreira, who apparently rates him. he definitely is extremely skilled but needs consistancy.

in my opinion, on the outside it seems like a good signings..a quick, younger skilled winger with potential, in a position where we desperately need help. but the reality of it is that it is a big gamble, which i expected from our signings this year..

lets see what other deals we can make..i believe the vitolo signing is a good one and will play out very well..quincy on the other hand....we'll see

bad news today...lazaro tore his acl in his knee in our friendly vs sivasspor and will be out for the next 4-6 months... :tdown:

horrible news. we are already short of players...poor kid. i feel very bad for him, this season was lookng like it was going to be his best

perastika lazare :(

spanish striker TOCHE signed with us today for 3 years. his contract is for 450.000 this year, increasing to 550.000 for the last two years.

he scored over 30 goals for cartegena in the segunda division in two years and is 28 years old...

another gamble.

Watching a couple friendlies I saw that PAO players don't communicate well, and the defense isn't good still. Of course this is only the very early stage in the prep but judging from last year the team didn't have a dominant center and a very shaky defense.

There won't be Cisse to find him with long balls and hope he comes up with something. The center has to be more in control and build up good offensive plays.

The defense is another story. Boumsong says, "IF I stay, I'll try my 100%"... Plessis, well, I don't see him other as a bench player at best.

Kara isn't getting any better and certainly can't play 1.5 hrs. Though as a sub he's been good in the friendlies. Petro has been terribly ineffective. Kleyton's been horrible.

So, I await for the first euro game to see what this team does and guess whether this season is going to be another bad one.

By the way, what the hell is going on with the scandals? Is any team going to be punished, other than a few individuals getting the rap? Oly should be relegated! :P

I have watched all the friendlies so far, and i can say that Cleyton hasnt be horrible, he can still provide a spark in pao's dreary midfield, however playing as a lone striker didnt help his performances.

I think its unfair to judge him when he is played out of position. He will definetly be handy this year.

i agree with kojak. i actually think cleyton was a bright spot in the friendlies. showed he still has a strong will to play at the club. problem is that he always looks good in friendlies/training but doesnt perform. hopefully some steady performances will help him, we need all the help we can get. with such a low budget we need him to start performing up to his potential..

start posting more KOJAK!!! i feel lonely in here all by myself :D

both toche and vitolo were announced today and chances are quincy will be announced in the coming day or two

time to get rid of players like plessi and giourkas and pick up acouple more signings. judging by ferrieras interview yesterday, he is looking for another 3 signings. lets see if he gets them.

I will try to pao123....by the way what happened...i havent been on here in ages...it seems a bit deserted?

Also i agree with you on Plessis... I am still struggling to understand apart from his height, what potential was seen in him, i mean he has to have some?? right? Is his attitude wrong that makes him seem so hopeless, did he just have the games of his life when scouts were watching? This player amazes me, as i had high hopes.

portugese footballer zeca is all but ready to sign and is expected in athens after the match with odense.

i didnt know much of him, so i sent an email to a portugese friend of mine for more info. he helps out as a physio for a 3rd division club and follows the league closely. he told me he is a very good talent and has been talked about as a up and comer for the country. he is 22 and his best position is on the left side of the midfield but can also convert to a left winger. he is box-to-box, quick and has good skill. he also said the kid is a bit of a diamond in the rough and needed a step up to a better team to prove his talents. he said the likes of porto and braga had been following him and if we picked him up for less than 1-1.5 million we got a steal..

we desperately needed another midfielder in his position and now he is closed. in my opinion, we will need a minimum of 3 more signings to complete the season. one more striker, a player to fill in for lazaro on the wings/midfield and another purely creative midfielder. if (when) we get rid of boumsong, we will also need a centre back (douglao).

we should work on our left back position as well, but right now i dont think that is a priority. we still need to cut players like melissi, moon, plessis, giourkas and help save up some more money. i would use dimousto or leontiou or melissi as a make weight to sign up a abdoun type player to fill in for lazaro or douglao at CB.

>>melissi, moon, plessis, giourkas<< I agree. They should go. What a disappointment Giourkas has been. I was so excited when he returned. What a waste of money on him too.

So you guys still think we have enough talent (as Fereira said the other day to his players) to play a team like Odense that's ready?

The talent is there, the depth isnt. Yes i believe if they play to there abilities, and have the desire to win we can defeat Odense.

After Odense is a different story, if the new players arent ready to play, then no we dont have the talent to go beyond Odense.

boumsong and simao (who were two of our best players tonight v odense) both appear on their way out. simao has offers from russia and ukraine. They dont seem to be offering pao more than 1 million. His buy out is like 6 million so I wouldnt even discuss him with clubs unless they are willing to offer AT LEAST 2M at the minimum.

simao hasnt progressed like weve all liked, but he is still a very good player and could be useful to us. vitolo has some injury troubles and we dont have another natural CDM. i say keeo him unless the offer is very good.

Selling simao for anything less than half his buy out clause would be bad business.

Especially to russian teams, who seem to pay ridiculous figures for players.

Personally i wouldnt sell him at all, he is a valuable player. I classify him as a player we produced and plucked out of obscurity. Essentially its like he came from our youth system even though thats not true.

In terms of boumsong, fine if a decent offer comes in, sell him. However he needs to be replaced, with another CB who has height. As relying on Kante/Sarriegi & Bjarsmyr to bail us out under the high ball is suicidal.

Hopefully Moras does come in when boum leaves, even though i have never really rated Moras to begin with, but it is what it is.

here's an interesting one!!

Galatasaray's Sarp on his way to PAO?

According to this link from Fotomac, Galatasaray's out-of-favour defensive midfielder Mustafa Sarp is a genuine target for Panathinaikos.

The 30 year-old player is set to welcome the move as he needs at least three years abroad to decrease his compulsory military service to 21 days, rather than the 12 months scheduled when he reaches 38.

The aggressive anchorman starred under Frank Rijkaard in the early part of 2009-2010 season, scoring goals against Beşiktaş, Dinamo Bucharest and Panathinaikos, but had a massive dip of form after the turn of the year.

He was never considered as a first-team regular last season but injuries to Lorik Cana and Bariş Ozbek, and the dispute between Hagi and Misimovic led to him get more playing time than initially expected.

PAO consider him as a medium-term replacement for the just-departed Gilberto.

Sarp was the player who scored the winning goal against Panathinaikos in Istanbul in the UEFA Europa League match in 2009.

Even if Simao hasn't progressed as much as we hoped for, I don't think he should be sold for $1 mil. He's still young and as a defensive half he can be very useful. The team has invested too much to let him go for a fraction of that.

• 4 weeks later...

witht he falling of both kavala and volou now would be a good time to pick up players like abdoun and zaradouka who will are released and free to sign for whomever.

gontikas has mentioned that he refuses to get players from these clubs. zaradoukas, who is apo ta dika mas paidia, is particularly an interesting and worthwhile option as we have no one other than spyropoulos on that side..he would be a free transfer, have a low salary and can fill in great into the team and prob win a place in the starting 11...spyro has not only NOT improved but i believe he has digressed over last couple of years...not to mention he is a fairly young talented greek player from our academies...

witht he falling of both kavala and volou now would be a good time to pick up players like abdoun and zaradouka who will are released and free to sign for whomever.

gontikas has mentioned that he refuses to get players from these clubs. zaradoukas, who is apo ta dika mas paidia, is particularly an interesting and worthwhile option as we have no one other than spyropoulos on that side..he would be a free transfer, have a low salary and can fill in great into the team and prob win a place in the starting 11...spyro has not only NOT improved but i believe he has digressed over last couple of years...not to mention he is a fairly young talented greek player from our academies...

I agree. I don't know those players but Spyro's performance is down.

Why did Gontikas say PAO doesn't want any players from these 2 clubs?

Tzorvas left. I hope the check the Italians sent to PAO clears soon, because that money will go to pay the fine from UEFA for the ..incident during the Europa game.

:angry:

So, no money from UEFA, plus a big fine, plus no game receipts (whenever PAO plays in Europe again), and fewer tickets sales this season because of the violence, and because the team sucks.

What's next, pestilence and the plague?!!!? :blink:

Archived