Phantis Forums

PAO in Europe 2011/12

Euro2004

Well it's all been decided and unfortunately the road to the CL is very difficult indeed and on that I can't see us negotiating.

PAO has to play two qualifying rounds before the group stages.

In the 2nd qualifying round (the first we have to play) we have to play one of:

Rubin Kazan, Zurich, Odense, Trabzonspor, and Poli Timisoara.

If we had the squad we have now I'd be confident against all of them except Rubin. However with Cisse and Tzorvas tipped to leave and without much coming in in terms of rebuilding a stronger team who knows what kind of state we'll be in. Nonetheless, this is where things get tough. If we qualify we will not not be seeded. So assuming the stronger teams qualify from the 2nd qualifying round we will have to face one of the following team in the CL play-off round:

Arsenal, Bayern, Lyon, Benfica, Villarreal

With the squad we have now we'll be the underdogs regardless of who we play. If we play the first 2 forget it, we'll get hammered. If we play Lyon i'd give us about 10% chance, against Benfica and Villarreal maybe 15-20% chance. If we do it we'll be in the 3rd pot of the CL. Either way it looks like it might be Europa League football for us this year. Whatever happens we have to at least get through the 2nd qualifying round so we can continue in the Europa League at least. So let's all hope we avoid Rubin.

Thanks for this Euro, until the other day, I thought PAO would only play 1 (2 games) round to qualifiy for the CL. Very hard for this team to make it through. So, gavroi are already in the CL group stage? This is huge, 'cause they'll get tons of money and PAO will be looking to get rid of players to save $. What a waste of the season this has been... :angry:

I'd prefer Benfica, but we'll draw Arsenal...

Yes unfortunately we have two rounds to play, however that could work in our favour (in the short term) because theoretically we'll be more "match ready" than whoever we play in the following round. Having said that unfortunately we have no chance against Arsenal or Bayern. I know we have done well against them historically but football has changed a lot since we last met Arsenal. Not as much was spent on transfers, we were better than we are now relatively speaking and they are stronger. I mean to think that Arsenal beat the Europa League finalists Braga 6-0 in the group stages it just goes to show that the gap between the teams in the big 2 leagues and the rest of Europe was widened.

I too would want Benfica, although PAOK's performances against Villarreal in the Europa League inspired confidence. I think PAOK are more solid defensively than we are though so they are more likely to be competitive by keeping it tight. Nonetheless I wouldn't fear them, but we also have to be realistic, they'd be the favourites.

By the way the draw for the first round we compete in will be made on July 15th. The 1st leg games will be played 26/27 July and the 2nd leg 2/3 August.

our road will not be easy...we almost always draw tough teams, i agree with euro, we'll probably be seeing a team like arsenal and getting cruised over...

news has it that ferreira will stay in charge of the club..i think it gives us a sliver of hope to make the CL..more so than if we pick up a new manager in 3 weeks time..he knows the players, knows what we need and how to fix the team..it will be challenging with the little money we will have but i hate the idea of constantly changing managers..he is just as qualified and just a quality of a manager as any other we will get, also considering the new man coming in will not have the same knowledge of the players on the team..he formed a good team with porto and could possibly do it with us as well, we will not know unless we give him time..he could not do too much this season, but also had to play with the crap hand that was dealt to him..

on to the next decision for the club...in a summer that will be very unstable...

I totally agree with you. We need to stability and to achieve that we have to keep the same manager. If we do draw Arsenal or Bayern then it doesn't matter if we have Mourinho, against the other 2 we'd have some hope if we have stability. Like you say a new manager will only result in us getting battered, he'd get sacked too then the next manager comes in. Like a conveyer belt that perpetuates failure. I just hope we can keep Cisse, it really is vital.

I know it's rumours we've all heard before but Douglao has said he's coming to sign which is good news. Certainly not a "bam" but with Boumsong leaving I don't think we can expect a better player to replace him really because quite simply we have no money. http://www.sportdog.gr/article/33939/pao-p...leei-o-ntouglao

I still think we're in more need of centre midfielders than anything else

i would definitly welcome douglao. although he isnt a world class centre back he is the type of player that could mould in a team well...the kentro is key and i think ferreira knows it...hopefully we can bring in a young exciting player and also a bit more experienced one (mattos) but it appears he doesnt want to come back. cisse must stay but next year we cant rely on stars, we need to hope that ferreira simply builds a solid team that attacks fiercely and defends together...a big problem is that we didnt play as one unit this year..the team had a flow problem and the midfield isnt the only thing to blame...

i would also welcome the signing of abdoun from kavala...these are the types of signings we will make and it will be important that the manager can pick the right players and shape them into a unified system.....with cisse leading the attack :D

im trying to be positive about this transfer period. I always try to remember that great teams are not always made of big names but also players who play with heart, soul and will die for the badge.

regardless, i see one of leto, ninis or cisse definitly leaving...lets hope the management dont dissapoint ;)

If Mattos doesn't want to come back there's no point in even trying to convince him. As you say a player has to want to play for the badge. In all honesty I find it very difficult to get excited about the future. As Athinaios says Olympiakos will have the luxury of spending CL money, whereas we'll be placing plasters on gun shot wounds to try and patch up the problems we have. Leto and Govou don't care, we're too weak at the back and the midfield is atrocious because Karagounis is too old now and Ninis and Katsouranis are simply too lazy. So yes Douglao and Abdoun would be useful additions but in my opinion our problems are so grave that we need an awful lot more.

luckily ferreira will have the full preseason to prepare the team...lets see what he does..

i completely disagree about leto though..i think he cares very much..i dont think he has shown us otherwise...its unfair to compare him to govou who did NOTHING this year and cared nothing about the club...leto works hard, covers alot of ground and shows passion and fire when he plays...he is weak defensively but he is a pure attacker...you can tell he has been working though...alot of time this year he tracked back and stole the ball in our defensive third...

all he needs to do is become alittle more team oriented, continue working on his defense and needs to get his attitude in check...he is argentine though, and they are generally very firey and short tempered...too many stupid yellow cards and suspensions this year..

apparently he wants to stay and the management has decided to hold on to him..i think he is the most skilled player on our roster and one of the most skilled in greece..i dont like the idea of having to find both a left and right winger (which we need) when we desperately need to focus on other areas of the pitch...

luckily ferreira will have the full preseason to prepare the team...lets see what he does..

i completely disagree about leto though..i think he cares very much..i dont think he has shown us otherwise...its unfair to compare him to govou who did NOTHING this year and cared nothing about the club...leto works hard, covers alot of ground and shows passion and fire when he plays...he is weak defensively but he is a pure attacker...you can tell he has been working though...alot of time this year he tracked back and stole the ball in our defensive third...

all he needs to do is become alittle more team oriented, continue working on his defense and needs to get his attitude in check...he is argentine though, and they are generally very firey and short tempered...too many stupid yellow cards and suspensions this year..

apparently he wants to stay and the management has decided to hold on to him..i think he is the most skilled player on our roster and one of the most skilled in greece..i dont like the idea of having to find both a left and right winger (which we need) when we desperately need to focus on other areas of the pitch...

I just think he's lost some of his spark and I his constant fighting with teammates suggested to me that he doesn't want to be there. If he wants to stay then great, no reason to sell him.

Are we even being linked with any centre midfielders?

eh..i hear what your saying...he was obviously very frustrated throughtout the season..as far as the fights with team mates, i tend to believe these things are way embelished by the media...teammates fight and argue, its natural, it happens with almost any team..especially if there are alot of argentines :D i think he wants to stay...hes got a good contract, he still has alot of good years, the fans love him..judging by some of his and his agents comments, he seems happy with the idea of staying.

the only thing ive heard as far as CM that seems like a legitimate report is mattos' possible return...the news has been heavily about management and our technical director...which news has it that we have agreed with zisis vryzas...

Archived