Phantis Forums

Violence at Stadiums

comparisons and references would help other countries (like Greece) seeking a viable economic model to sustain sports ventures in their respective countries

Yes and no. The US model operates in a much bigger market than the Greek model. The Greek state of affairs shows that the country can support one or two viable teams and the rest are condemned to be short of money and resources. I suspect, REAL's budget is higher than the budget of all Greek teams in the championship combined.

the level of penalty imposed by the law enforcing system

True, but I do not know if there is a relationship of cause and effect there. The US appears to have a huge percentage of its population behind bars but violence over all is not (unless I am wrong) any lesser than violence in Greece. Unless of course we wish to argue that the US is inherently more violent and needs higher incarceration rates. Those who claim to know what they are talking about usually assert that the likelihood of punishment is a more likely deterrent than its severity.

In addition there was a time, up to the late sixties, when the Greek stadia had minimal violence without a system of repression (see also the Taxim stadium pictures and nightsurfer's remarks on civility; AEK forum).

Protathlitis, thanks for the compliment but I am afraid that I do not quite deserve it (I enjoyed it though tremendously, thanks!).

The general belief is that many social problems remain insoluble for a long time because the side effects of the obvious solutions are unacceptable. Similarly, if and when, acceptable solutions emerge, the most efficient solution is rarely adopted because it requires that we abandon some of our cherished, however misplaced, beliefs.

Let me alert you all that totays Eleutherotypia has in its sports sections a couple of articles on a seminat addressing violence in sports.

Archived