Phantis Forums

ALPHA SAT LEAVING DIRECTV

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to give them a call later tonight since I haven't had time to yet today. But this is all so strange.

This Greek Media Group seems questionable. Almost as questionable as Globe star was. Is there any connection possibly?! Let's just hope this is only a technical issue with their website while they update everything.

Those are old pages, check out the logo for GMTV its the old one. The section on the main page had the updated logo.

I don't think they would remove an entire page just to update it which means something else is going on?!

So I called DirecTV. I am a little skeptical on the information I received. Apparently they said it is not on their website because they are not selling the package anymore to new customers, since they have to sell Alpha Sat with it, which is leaving. I asked if this means if I will eventually loose the Greek channels, and she said current customers will still retain the Greek channels, but they are just not selling the Greek package to any new customers right now.

This makes no sense. Why would they do that? The only thing I could think of is maybe the Alpha Sat contract stipulates that their channel must be offered as part of a package??? So maybe they are waiting until Alpha Sat officially leaves to re-offer the packages???.....Alpha Sat was offered in the lowest Greek package mandatory. So maybe it was part of their contract? I asked if DirecTv will be offering the packages after Alpha Sat leaves, and the representative said she doesn't know, they haven't told them yet.

This is all so strange......Taking a closer look at the letter I received in the mail the other day, it stated "As a result, the price of GreekDirect will be reduced to $14.99/mo. and the price of GreekDirect II to $29.99/mo for accounts already active with the service." So that sort of backs up what the rep. said about current customers.

I don't know what to make of this. Could they have also decided to just stop offering the channels to new customers, and wait for the other channel contracts to run out and drop them? I don't know what advantage that would serve to them though? (Not offering a package, while still carrying the channels) So far they are maintaining that the other channels are not leaving, but as with past experiences, you never know what will happen.

If they are being greedy and asking for a lot then I don't see Dish Network adding any of these channels since they have a history of playing hardball with broadcasters.

If they are being greedy they are the ones who will lose. This is no climate for luxuries, which is what international channels are seen like. I also think it was stupid of MEGA to go to the same company that represents B-status channels like Alpha and Alter. I don't know if DISH would hold a grudge over how MEGA departed (it would be stupid to do so IMO), but that would be the only channel I can see DISH making an effort to offer. The others are doomed if they leave (or to be more accurate, are pushed off) Directv.

I also think it was stupid of MEGA to go to the same company that represents B-status channels like Alpha and Alter.

Based on what DKSat posted above about GMG, MEGA Cosmos did not sign on with this company they were already with them before! Globestar had the rights to MEGA Cosmos which means if Greek Media Group bought them out they inherited these rights when they bought the company. Of course that contract has to end some time which means they have the option of not re-signing with them. They can also choose to go it alone and distribute the channel themselves or sign up with another company to distribute the channel?!

Could they have also decided to just stop offering the channels to new customers, and wait for the other channel contracts to run out and drop them?

I think you are on to something there Grk101, this is the first thought that popped into my mind when I noticed that the Greek package was no longer listed on the DirecTV website. of course there also could be some sort of out clause in the deal that allows DirecTV to drop the package altogether without having to wait until the contracts expire?! This would explain why they up and removed the info from the site so soon after announcing that Alpha Sat would be dropped. Perhaps the contracts for all the channels expire at the same time or around the same time?!

Directv did the same with the polish channels, first they were no longer adding new subscribers and then dropped them for all. If they drop the Greek packet they will have dropped all the European channels they once carried. Maybe we can accuse them for anti-euro bias. :D

Greek Media Group has removed Alpha Sat from their website, so I guess its gone for good?! The rest of the site however, still contains incorrect info. I wonder if perhaps Star International & Alter Globe are still on RCN but just not available to new subscribers?!

Or maybe Alpha has just decided to get rid of Alpha Sat all together?

You could be right, which might explain why it is going to be removed from DirecTV at the end of the month. Alpha used to list an email address for Alpha Sat on their contact page but its no longer there. Alpha TV is owned by a foreign company, I don't think they care all that much about offering a satellite channel, especially since it probably won't bring in a lot of money for them compared to say ANT1 Satellite or MEGA Cosmos. Consider also the costs of transmitting the channel to various parts of the world, its probably not worth it in the end which is why they may have pulled the plug on it.

it probably won't bring in a lot of money for them compared to say ANT1 Satellite or MEGA Cosmos.

This chart is probably not accurate, since it is provided by Greek Media Group who of course are trying to make their channels more attractive, but they claim that Alpha is more popular than Ant1. Of course, they also neglected to add ERT World to this chart, which according to info DKsat relayed, is the most viewed Greek channel in the US.

Posted Image

On the other hand, Alter Globe is last in all the graphics above. So it makes it a bit more believable that they are not trying to just promote their offerings. But again, I would take it with caution. We don't even know where these statistics are from, and what percentage of subscribers were polled. Plus, how could they get an accurate portrail on Star, since it was only available on RCN? Also these statistics were gathered over the summer it seems (July and August 2009), a time when people go on vacation and the Greek channels play re-runs.

One thing is for sure though. This situation with Alpha's removal from DirecTV seems to be far from simple. I wonder what is really going on...

I Emailed DirecTV yesterday while I was at work, before I had a chance to call them, and I received a reply today. Here are the interesting parts of the reply:

I understand your programming concerns and I am sorry for any frustration this may have caused you. Please be advised that effective Dec 1, 2010, all Greek language a la carte services were no longer available, however, existing GreekDirect customers will still get programming. Furthermore, while we are unable to comment on upcoming programming decisions, we are always reviewing our programming options to make sure we bring you the best possible TV experience

In addition, whenever we add or remove channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our web site at directv.com/pr.

The reply seemed a bit mixed. It had some hints about possible additions, but then again also left the door open for them to completely discontinue it. I do not know what to make of it.

Grk101,

It sounds like your earlier thought was correct- the Greek package is no longer available for purchase but existing customers will continue to receive the channels, probably until the current contracts expire. So the question now remains when does the contract for MEGA Cosmos & Alter Globe expire?! I believe DKSat posted something awhile back about 2014 for MEGA- would they actually keep this channel for another 3 years without offering it to new subscribers?!

This is just unbelievable,

A short while ago the discussion was about DirecTV adding ERT World to the Greek package now a few weeks later we are talking about how they have gotten rid of the whole package!? Looks like things can change from one day to the next in the satellite biz?!

Interesting to see what Greek Media Group's next move will be- will they approach Dish Network or perhaps focus on cable & IPTV distribution for their channels?!

The whole business of not offering a product you have to new consumers is very bizarre. What was the point of sending the letter Grk101 mentioned, with the new package prices sans Alpha, if they would not give anyone the choice to subscribe to these packages?

This is UNCONFIRMED information, but I posted a thread on Satelliteguys.com when DKsat first reported this news, and it seems someone responded today:

"Dish Network Will have this channel on 1/1/11 ." :o

I wonder if Greek Media Group still has the rights to the channel? If they do, this definitely signals that Mega and Alter could end up back on Dish Network again. (IF this move is true anyway) But they seem to have taken all traces of it off their site. Has Alpha decided to distribute the channel themselves?

Anyone have any confirmation?

Greek Media Group never had the rihgts to ALPHA Sat they just add the channel to there website because it was on Directv.

ALPHA Sat was in the works to go to Dish Network about a month now, thats a good add on for Dish Network.

DKSat

Archived