Phantis Forums

Greek TV- International Channels

Hi all,

With channels moving from one provider to another and new ones coming (to North America at least), I decided to put together a little handy chart that lists all the Greek channels currently available in North America & Australia and who owns the rights to each one.

CHANNEL | RIGHTSHOLDER (North America/Australia) | CONTACT INFO

4ETV | N/A / UBI World TV | www.ubiworldtv.com

ALPHA SAT | Alpha TV | www.alphatv.gr

ALTER GLOBE | Greek Media Group / N/A | www.greekmediagroup.us

ANT1 PRIME | ANT1 GROUP / N/A | www.antenna.gr

ANT1 SATELLITE, ANT1 PACIFIC | ANT1 GROUP| www.antenna.gr

BLUE | N/A / ANT1 GROUP | www.antenna.gr

ERT WORLD | PCCW Global | www.pccwglobal.com

GMTV | Greek Media Group / N/A | www.greekmediagroup.us,

MAD WORLD | N/A / UBI World TV | www.ubiworldtv.com

MEGA COSMOS | Greek Media Group (USA), Ethnic Channels Group (CAN) / UBI World TV | www.greekmediagroup.us, www.ethnicchannels.com www.ubiworldtv.com

RIK SAT | Greek Media Group / UBI World TV | www.greekmediagroup.us, www.ubiworldtv.com

STAR INTERNATIONAL | Greek Media Group / UBI World TV | www.greekmediagroup.us, www.ubiworldtv.com

N/A- Not Available

Current as of July 2011

Thanks for the information. Must be tough being told that Mega is coming to Canada for song long with out a result. :tdown:

Anyway, if UBI does really own the distribution right to STAR, RIK, and SIGMA, then I think if/when they do premier in the US it will be on DirecTV since they are already putting MAD and another channel onto that platform. :gr:

Thanks for the correction Kolossos!

I was actually just going to post about this very thing. Can anyone help me to verify that the info in my chart is in fact correct. Does ANT1 have the rights to their channels or have they sold it off to some other company? Who has the rights for ERT World?? Perhaps DKSat or someone else with knowledge can help me out.

Thanks.

:gr:

• 2 months later...

Hmm. Does Globecast still own the rights to ERT World in the US? I found this article from last year:

Verizon's FiOS inks international content deal

October 4, 2006

Verizon announced yesterday that it has inked a deal with content provider GlobeCast at IPTV World. The deal sees GlobeCast supplying Verizon's FiOS TV subscribers with 37 international channels that originate from countries all over Eastern Europe, the Middle East and Asia. The deal also calls for an additional 40 channels from GlobeCast starting next year. The content will be available on both a linear and VOD basis, making the offering the largest multicultural offering from a major service provider in the U.S. GlobeCast is a subsidiary of France Telecom.

For more on Verizon's content deal:

- see GlobeCast's company site

http://www.fierceiptv.com/story/verizon-s-...deal/2006-10-05

COMART holds the rights to ERT Sat world wide.

Globecast is distributing ERT Sat by Satellite world wide.

DKSat

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but on their website at http://www.comart.net/ it says:

Comart Telecom represents France Telecom GlobeCast in the Balkan Area. A broad range of satellite transmission and worldwide connectivity services are offered for the Telecom and Broadcast industries.

Does this mean Comart is a company under GlobeCast? I dont get it....

:gr:

Whatever happened to the bidding process for the distribtion rights for ERT World in North America? I think its been over a year and haven't heard anything, did ERT ever award the rights to anyone is that why this Comart company still has them?! I think I remember reading something about some shady dealings going on at ERT whereby the whole process was fixed and this Comart got the rights again, meaning ERT didn't even consider the other companies who bid. Corruption at a government-owned company- that can't be right, governments aren't corrupt now are they?! :unsure: :LOL:

Aren't these guys also the ones involved in the uproar with UBI World where they tried to sue UBI for transmitting ERT World FTA? Looks like the people running ERT got some 'splaining to do eh?! On the one hand this Comart supposedly says they have the worldwide rights and on the other you got a government official promising the Greeks of Australia that they would be able to watch ERT World for FREE! So what's the deal here boys? Either charge a fee or make the channel FTA. Still want to know why Australians get it FTA and North Americans don't, what's up with that discrimination?!

Whatever happened to the bidding process for the distribtion rights for ERT World in North America? I think its been over a year and haven't heard anything, did ERT ever award the rights to anyone is that why this Comart company still has them?! I think I remember reading something about some shady dealings going on at ERT whereby the whole process was fixed and this Comart got the rights again, meaning ERT didn't even consider the other companies who bid. Corruption at a government-owned company- that can't be right, governments aren't corrupt now are they?! :unsure: :LOL:

Aren't these guys also the ones involved in the uproar with UBI World where they tried to sue UBI for transmitting ERT World FTA? Looks like the people running ERT got some 'splaining to do eh?! On the one hand this Comart supposedly says they have the worldwide rights and on the other you got a government official promising the Greeks of Australia that they would be able to watch ERT World for FREE! So what's the deal here boys? Either charge a fee or make the channel FTA. Still want to know why Australians get it FTA and North Americans don't, what's up with that discrimination?!

People power make your voices heard and you will get ERT FTA in the USA also thats how we got it :) :tup: :gr:

• 2 years later...

Interesting turn of events,

According to the article, Comcart did not want to extend their current agreement until the completion of the bidding process (if there even is one ;)) and ERT has now signed a deal with this PCCW Global company to distribute the channel indefinitely. Looks like the changing of the guard going on here, new government in power, new company in charge of distributing the channel.

I wonder what happens to the current agreements that are in place for ERT World with various providers around the world?! Will they remain in place or are they null and void and now cable & satellite companies will have to sign new deals with this other company?!

Also regarding this so-called bidding process, I wonder if it will even happen and who else has submitted a bid thus far to obtain the distribution rights for ERT World?! Will it be a fair process this time around or more of the same?! I suspect that somewhere down the line we will here that the bidding has been called off and that PCCW Global has been awarded the rights long term. B)

This channel needs an overhaul on so many levels, sorting out the mess regarding distribution rights would be a good first step. Of course we are talking about Greece here, where nothing is ever clear!

Archived