Phantis Forums

Anorthosis in Europe 2010-11

Irlandos

In the 2nd qualifying round of the Europa League, Anorthosis lost 2-0 to Croatian outfit HNK Sibenik. :(

Hopefully, the Varosi club will fare much better at home as we would hate to see their European campaign come to an abrupt end so early... :)

I saw the 2nd half and the referee, Mariner, was poor and really cost Anorthosis. Their first goal was clearly offside and the 2nd came courtesy of a soft penalty. Also they were getting away with so many fouls. Anorthosis had a few penalty appeals that were turned down too. Basically, all in all, Ano dominated possession enough to suggest they can over turn this.

One thing i did notice was that Mantzios' aerial presence and ability to hold up the ball were seriously missed.

Ano have signed Aris' Javier Campora. Does anyone know whether he'll be eligible to feature for Ano in the 2nd leg?

Anorthosis dominated the first half, missing an unbelievable opportunity as they had an effort come off the underside of the bar and 3/4 of it crossed the line before Cafu missed the rebound from 2 yards!!! Laban then had a goal ruled out for offside, which was the right decision although it was marginal. So I started fearing "One of the those nights!" but on the stroke of half time Cafu scored from a corner to level the tie.

HALF TIME: 1-0 Anorthosis! :gr:

Elsewhere, Apollon have also levelled the tie, deseverdly leading their Russian opponents 1-0 at half time :gr: but they are down to 10 men so it's tough task ahead.

Anorthosara were superb going forward but work needs to be done at the back. Despite Cafu's brilliant hatrick today i also think they need a goalscorer but usually he misses way too many chances. Ramos was superb going forward before he came off, what explosive runs! And Okkas was rolling back the years too. Here are the goals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PHUjQbKphY

• 2 weeks later...

It's a shame, Anorthosis were winning 1-0 with 5 mins to go!

CSKA are just too strong though. They made the last 8 of the Champions League last year and only went out to the eventual winners Inter. Ketsbaia's Anorthosis would have given much more of a fight because they were so well organised and had great discipline. Guillermo Oyios' Anorthosis are much more open and attacking though and a team like Anorthosis will never out-attack a team like CSKA Moscow so it's naive to take that approach. They key for smaller teams is to do what Anorthosis did under Ketsbaia and what APOEL did last year. Keep it solid and hit on the counter. Anorthosis played a high line in Russia!! Not even Inter did that last year. So they paid the price. :(

Archived