Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos-Standard Liege

trifilli

I was at the game...

My fears and concerns became true in the form of a nightmare, that I and millions of PAO fans, had to endure Thursday night.

Was disgusted with Galinovic, the PAO defense, and Nioplia's decision (although I think the message comes from above).

This Sunday PAO has the chance of trashing gauro.

Also APO has the duty to it's glorious European history to win at Liege.

If APO do not beat gauro by at least two, hopefully three, it will be a championship lost from giro, NOT won from PAO.

I may be very disappointed with our loss to Liege, because it was easily preventable, but I really believe a team like PAO does not choose games.

I know that CL groups mean millions of guaranteed euros, and that is the main reason behind first place in the league.

For years I have been a proponent of the European games.

APO has given us fans more joy than any other Greek team, in Europe.

APO will win the league, will go to the CL groups, and if lucky and good, may go through as second. What next, another Greek league?

Another CL group another exit from Europe?

I know I am in the minority, but it is a matter of preference and taste, to which as the Romans said "in the matters of taste there is no dispute".

I still prefer ONE great European showing, over 13 Greek championships!...

My priority is not to brag to the reds that PAO is the team in Greece, rather than to know that my team PAO has been the best representative of Greek football, with some amazing results that even the most optimistic Greek fan could not dream of.

0-1 at Porto, Ajax, Hamburg, Inter. 0-2 at Schalke, 1-3 at Glasgow, 0-3 at Bremen. 2-3 at Roma plus too many more to mention.

PAO needs two 3-0 wins this coming week to make us ecstatic, if I had to chose ONE however it would be at Liege.

PEACE

I agree, I'll take a good a good run in Europe over the Greek league any day. And yes PAO...I mean APO has always been the best representative of Greek football! :tup:

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was at the game...

My fears and concerns became true in the form of a nightmare, that I and millions of PAO fans, had to endure Thursday night.

Was disgusted with Galinovic, the PAO defense, and Nioplia's decision (although I think the message comes from above).

If APO do not beat gauro by at least two, hopefully three, it will be a championship lost from giro, NOT won from PAO.

I may be very disappointed with our loss to Liege, because it was easily preventable, but I really believe a team like PAO does not choose games.

I know that CL groups mean millions of guaranteed euros, and that is the main reason behind first place in the league.

APO will win the league, will go to the CL groups, and if lucky and good, may go through as second. What next, another Greek league?

I know I am in the minority, but it is a matter of preference and taste, to which as the Romans said "in the matters of taste there is no dispute".

My priority is not to brag to the reds that PAO is the team in Greece, rather than to know that my team PAO has been the best representative of Greek football, with some amazing results that even the most optimistic Greek fan could not dream of.

0-1 at Porto, Ajax, Hamburg, Inter. 0-2 at Schalke, 1-3 at Glasgow, 0-3 at Bremen. 2-3 at Roma plus too many more to mention.

PAO needs two 3-0 wins this coming week to make us ecstatic, if I had to chose ONE however it would be at Liege.

PEACE

I agree, I'll take a good a good run in Europe over the Greek league any day. And yes PAO...I mean APO has always been the best representative of Greek football! :tup:
Oh man, I'm goofing on your typo and look what I just did: a good a good?? :LOL:

ha ha it sounds like fun.

I am watching Athlitiki kyriaki reruns while I am trying to figure out a good formation that will give us the 0-3 win in Belgium.

no guarantees of course, and no coach can really game-plan a 3-0 score without risking conceding a couple. But you never know. Let's say we go up and score a couple by 16 out of nowhere (like they did), then it's a game. Wishfull thinking of course, but once again I am preparing for another historic night for APO, errrrr, I mean PAO.

------------------Tzorvas-------------

Marinos-----Sariegi--Kante---Vintra

-----------Simao---Gilberto---------

C'opoulos-------Ninis-------Leto

-----------------Cisse---------------

If we don't score in the first half, pull Cisse, Gilberto, Leto to rest for the derby. If we are up by one or two, pull Simao and go for broke with Salpi in the lineup as well.

what do you think?

Marinos hasn't really shown anything yet; you think thats safe? Is Spyro out for sure? You have Xristo on the right but he's been playing on the left...I would think about Bjarsmyr.

They should burst in there and score as quickly as possible in the 1st half...then in the 2nd have a more "relaxed" aproach keeping posession and creating space. This way they don't get desperate. So if we have 2 goals in the 1st its " okay, we're on the right track, all we need is one more and there's still plenty of time". So to start Ninis in the middle, Leto, Salpi on the right since he's the type of player that really pushes forward quick with a good work rate. I think thats just what we need at the start. Behind them possibly Kara/Gilberto...or Kats/Gilberto since Kats can score as well as defend.

I think Marinos will have to be baptized by fire since Spyropoulos will be out for a month. The kid looks like he is mature, got some skill and speed to go along. Why not give him the chance now? I would not mess with the CBs. I'd keep Kante in the center and put Vintra on the left. Last year Vintra had some of his best games on the left I remember.

as for C'poulo, I'd like to keep Salpi on the bench because he looks really tired. He didn't do much at Asteras and Roukavina was hopeless on the right in the first game with Standrard. The other option would be to put Ninis there but I like him stirring things up in the middle.

Truth is, no matter the lineup, you can't game-plan a 3-0 win. We just have to push and hope we are lucky.

I was at the game...

PEACE

I agree with every single thing you said. I will never forget when we beat Juventus in 1987, before Vassilis Daniil went nuts.a

I think Marinos will have to be baptized by fire since Spyropoulos will be out for a month. The kid looks like he is mature, got some skill and speed to go along. Why not give him the chance now? I would not mess with the CBs. I'd keep Kante in the center and put Vintra on the left. Last year Vintra had some of his best games on the left I remember.

Vyntra did play much better on the left than he ever did at right.

BUT, the CB's remain horrible, a major liablity, and Vyntra is our best CB. We need that strength.

Kante was brought to also play LB. I'd like to see him try...

Marinos has shown in recent games he's ready. Personally I feel he should be our starting RB anyways, with Vyntra in the center where he plays a good deal better than the others.

Spryopoulos was a major blow. Standard are tough tacklers, and theres all the more reason to take out key players before the derby. Anything but a win on Sunday would be a nightmare. Farfetched scenarios where we score 3 goals in Belgium and somehow don't conceed any with a terrible backline crippled even more by Spyropoulos loss -- its not likely, not even Arsenal hit 3. Weve gone as far as we were worthy to go.

In Europa, PAO is not one of the best 8 this season anyways. More important is to get some cups and some credibility back. Our European successes are nice, but these will always be around. Titles on the other hand are scarce, and we have 4 games left in the League, each of them counts huge towards NEXT YEARS European run, which hopefully will not be in the secondhand Europa league but the real competition the CL.

THEN is the time for European success- when we have adjusted the team and actually have an acceptable defense....this year we've been simple crap in Europe, aside from a combined 10 minutes vs Roma Europe I'd like to forget everything that happened in the Europe this season because every other minute was horrible.

NOW is the time for Greek success (finally) and to behead OSFP in OAKA and return to being a CHAMPION, which we havent been for years and is going to be far more important for the long term success and prestige for the club (as well as demoralizing OSFP) than ANY Round of 16 Europa league game.

Archived