Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos-AEK

pao123

Of course momentum is a big factor. Well, PAO has to show that they can handle the pressure of being the leader.

But since when +8 or +6 points is considered something like this: oh, don't worry about it, they're up by 8 but once they have a tie and drop 2 then we're practically even with them! :LOL:

OK, whatever.

I still don't believe that OLY and PAOK won't have any misteps especially with teams they're supposed to beat. We'll see.

And, to play the scenario you put here. We tie PAOK (maintain the difference from them) and gavroi climb within 4! Wow. Then we play them. They'll have the pressure to beat us.. A tie or a loss to us and it's good-bye!

PAO has choked before, but I don't think they'll do it this year. We didn't choke today. We were unlucky and missed several chances to score. For a derby it was well played.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Until we convince opponents we can win tough games, it's easier to think we'll stumble. It's overly optimistic to expect that we'll keep a perfect record in the away games we have left, (@Larissa, @PAOK, @Panionio, @Astera, @Atromito, @Giannina) and the game at home against Olympiakos.

These last two games we didn't win are huge in my opinion and we need to make up these points in the tougher games against Olympiakos and PAOK.

Winning this title even by one point would be great, but who wants the stress? Let's finish up the job while we can. Maybe it was all the buffering, but I can't be happy about "domination" today. AEK gave us space and wanted to score on the counter. They did it once, and had a couple more chances to do it (especially after the "substitutions"). The game was set up for us to be playing outside their box. They succeeded in their strategy while we failed. Simple.

Nioblias just said in the interview that he wanted to "calm the game" with his substitutions because it was getting a little wild. Say what? We were missing one chance after the other and you want to calm the game? Why?

Bgenopoulos just said that he saw some PAO shareholders looking "happy" that we didn't win. He implied it was Giannakopoulos from what they said and it's probably indicative of the friction that can tear the team appart (Vgenopoulos is a Nioblias patron while Gianakopoulos was pissed to see someone so inexperienced at the helm).

I hope the club keeps focused because we have opened several cans of worms in the last two weeks (Nioblias' subs are becoming a joke - Cisse can't score in big games - the team can't win a against decent opponents).

We absolutely need a win at Larissa next week.

Bgenopoulos just said that he saw some PAO shareholders looking "happy" that we didn't win. He implied it was Giannakopoulos from what they said and it's probably indicative of the friction that can tear the team appart (Vgenopoulos is a Nioblias patron while Gianakopoulos was pissed to see someone so inexperienced at the helm).

More proof that we're run by vultures!

honestly everyone is bitching nioplias nioplias nioplias blah blah...the truth is we have at least six classic chances to put the game away and the players didnt..we played a very good match...the players were well prepared, the starting 11 was correct, the psychology was there, the desire was there too..we looked miles better than aek and dominated the match...they had two chances and scored one which was not a defensive error but a terrible give away by katsouranis (i believe it was him) we looked confident and strong...i agree, maybe nioplias could have chased the game more with his subs but the kara sub was warranted as he was obviously very tired and he subbed leto bc he got hurt...my only complaint is that we should start trying a petro/cisse duo up top in the last 10-15 mins in games like this...what did everyone want the man to do? if he put cleyton in we would have lost the midfield...bajevic stacked the middle of the park and we would have lost control of the midfield bc cleyton is bad at marking...ninis' absensce is very missed..he is a creative force but also runs around like a madman (which cleyton as we all know does not) we hit a post and got denied by acouple great saves from arabatzi..for me, cisse was very poor today, he wasnt making runs as much as he should and wasnt troubling their defense with his speed, majest. had cisse in his pocket but that allowed salpi a bit more freedom to roam, which showed in his great match today..you can blame it on not much support for cisse but the truth is he wasnt hustling and running off the ball as much as he usually does (when he scores)

we were unlucky not to win this game but i still believe we will take the title...we TIED two games in a row(against good opponents may i add) relax guys, its not the end of the world, sure we are making our lives a bit more difficult but we are still +6...and enough of the scenarios, no one knows what will happen and who will drop point against whom...paok won this weekend by the skin on their teeth, panionios had a goal wrongfully ruled offside, a penalty that should have been called and 2-3 big chances at the end of their match vs oly, so who knows what will happen..we could win the league by 10+ points or we could lose it on the last matchday to paok or oly...the fact is the team has been playing very well recently and i dont want our disagreement within the management and our fans' negativity toward the team and coach to effect the results...we need to be unified (coach, team, fans) or we will lose the title and embarrase ourselves..dont put more pressure on the team than is already there...we are on a good course to becoming a very very solid team so we need support and cheering, not finger pointing...

in my opinion we were unlucky today, everything was right, we just didnt have lady luck on our side...had the shot against the post or cisse shot that hit araba. in the arm gone in we would have been saying 'wow nioplias is fantastic'..we need to also remember we were missing gabriel, ninis and rukavina, ho all give us different atacking options...

lets also hope these last two games dont negatively effect cisse's form...we need more of his goals to win this title..lets hope he gets back to scoring and work even harder..

Good post Pao123!

I actually feel better after I read it :)

I went back and watched the game again last night to see what I missed that every other happy fan didn't. I guess I read the game differently. I saw that AEK came down with a specific strategy to pack their box and to deny space to Cisse and Leto. Beyond that they were just praying that one of their counter-attack (well designed btw) would pay off.

It worked like a charm. It wasn't as pretty as our game, but they took what they wanted and they could have won it in the end when we deflated.

Panathinaikos played a good game. We scored one goal and had many chances that made us go Aaaaaaa! But for all the beauty, we didn't win the game.

Most invoke the supernatural for it, some blame Arabatzi, and some our bad aim. They all had a role. I'd like to add as well that OUR mistakes are also to blame.

It was the mistake by Katsouranis who was way too casual with the ball being the only player between our two CBs and the goal that was crucial, and he mistake by our fullbacks who were already high on the pitch and had no chance of recovery. Spyropoulos was five meters behind Scocco. We all want our fullbacks playing high. It's one of the things most fans seem to understand and appreciate, but most fail to see the usefulness of being a little more careful and guarding your back.

We always point out the blatant errors. Poor Sariegi, Kante, Tziiolis, Mantzios and others have been the subject of ridicule for their decision making and "lack of talent to play at PAO level", so I don't see the need to pretend that Nioblias didn't make a mistake in 71.

Watching the game twice still I could not make sense of the substitutes. The only think I can think of is that he had decided on the changes before the game and he made them regardless of what was happening. I also went back to hear Nioblias' logic and it didn't make any sense either.

He was afraid that AEK would begin moving the ball forward so he wanted fresh legs to win the ball in midfield so we would not have to carry it 70 meters. Except, at the moment AEK could barely cross midfield and Karagounis showed his value just three minutes before when he dribbled two players and sent a 30m diagonal cross to Leto who was free at the other corner of the box.

Leto has proven in the past that he can pull one play that can turn a game. He was occupying three AEK players on the left and still gave them fits. Blanco was playing as a DM to mark Leto all game long until 71 when he was released to move forward.

I can go on and on with details how horrible these two substitutions were. But the bottom line is that they deflated the team at a moment when they were picking up their game even more. After 71 we had the one Maistorovic "tsaf" to show for a chance and never even came close to AEK's box for over 20 minutes. Instead, AEK took a deep breath and Djeebur found himself alone in the box three times - one of which he manged a shot that was saved by Tzorvas.

Simao was completely unnecessary in this game where AEK barely reached midfield and Nioblias' fear that AEK will begin counterattacking was unfounded. From all our bench players, Cleyton and Petropoulos would have been more useful. Cleyton can play the ball in tight spaces and has a knack for assists (and goals), while Petropoulos could help with his height in the crowded box.

Not a big deal like you (and Nioblias, and Antoniou, and other fans) said. Nioblias will screw up just like everyone else. I watched both Olympiakos and PAOK this weekend and they both look horrible (actually Olympiakos was pitiful) so in the end they will lose more points than we will, and we have a cushion.

But le'ts not fool ourselves. It wasn't just luck that prevented us from winning against AEK.

Well Euro you have good reason to worry. This game was a reminder that PAO hasn't won a big game all season aside from PAOK at home.

AEK x2

OSFP

Atletico

Galatasaray

Aris (away- though theyre not that good)

Nioplias did a particularly bad job the last 2 games. Subs too late too ineffective. Didn't go for the win. He's not an experienced coach, like I said. The lineup was good. The hustle was good. But at the end of the 2nd half the fight has to continue, not fizzle out.

Waiting yet again on the defensive signings was a gamble this team should have never made. Were still favouirtes, but my problem is that we could be even more-so favourites, like a sure thing right now.

I don't know if/how this team could rebound from another title disapointment especially how high things were. THats why in my book its better to spend on that defender and take every possible step to protect this team from demise.

we need to fight our nature, we are our own worst enemies...as it goes its natural for panathinaikos fans and players to be pessimistic...we have shot ourselves in the foot year after year after year..its as if we almost expect to lose and expect to not win the protathlima...ill be honest, i am pessimistic about this season...even if we were +12 id still be pessimistic...but its time to turn that complex aside and start thinking like champions...if we expect to lose, we will lose...this mentality has plagued us for years and is also why oly always win the chamionpship, bc they expect to win it, they have that mentality...the mentality that we should have...look we are 6 points up and EVERYONE is scared...'oh my god we are going to lose it, oh my god we are going to lose it' blah blah blah thats all i hear...but i expect that bc its natural...we need to turn around and say, "this one is in the bag, we've got it this year" which is what the management, coaches and players are trying to instill in each other...this is what the fans need to do too..if you expect and wait to be a loser, you will lose...if you act and expect to be a winner, we will win the championship...this goes from top to bottom..from the management, down to he last fan...

And, if I may add, the fans shouldn't load the team with anxiety. We had this situation not so long ago. Players would be afraid to touch the ball for the fear of being booed by their own fans.

SOme of them has said that the greatest contribution of Noplias is that the team plays more freely and with more confidence now.

Look, you have to understand the position Noplias is in. His first big coaching job, the electric chairs that come with coaching the big teams, so he may have decided to be safe and not lose this game and his job. So, throw in Simao to defend....

I think I can reasonably argue that this team is better than any PAO squad in recent years. Much, much better than the one in 2004. Yeah, we're not very good, and you can say we haven't won big games.... Just wait for this season to be over and we pick this up again. We still have 2 games against PAOK and gavroi. Plus the Europa league.

:box:

Thanks guys; you cheer me up :tup:

I am on board now. I won't contribute to the "losing" mentality - you are right Pao123 - and I feel a little ashamed that I lost my faith, being the one that preached optimism in the past.

We are +6 and boy, PAOK and Olympiakos look pitiful. Comparing our game with theirs is like comparing a ferrari with a chevrolet. I do enjoy watching our team this season and we get better and better as the season winds down. I think we will peak March 21 with a 5-0 against the reds :P

You didn't beat us at home which as title contenders you should have BUT Olympiakos lost to us at home so cheer up. From those comparable games (OSFP - AEK and PAO - AEK) PAO was better than OSFP (and AEK better than both :D).

Aside from two difficult games against PAOK and OSFP where even a draw would benefit you, you just have to step up and do what you have to as serious contenders. And, AEK winning the title this year is now normally not gonna happen anymore, so if anyone takes it I hope it won't be OSFP (for the sake of a competitive league!)

Well Euro you have good reason to worry. This game was a reminder that PAO hasn't won a big game all season aside from PAOK at home.

AEK x2

OSFP

Atletico

Galatasaray

Aris (away- though theyre not that good)

drakos

im pretty sure we beat AEK away 1-0 when salpi scored from a katsou assist

we also beat aris at home but that doesnt really count

other than that i agree 100% with u

We totally outplayed them and I agree we were really unlucky! I also agree we should have brought in Cleyton or Petro...when Simao came on that really surprised me. Cisse should be given a chance and we'll see if he will score against Roma, Oly, PAOK. I'm not worried at all since we played real well.

of the top 5 teams in greece....

Pao beat Aek once and drew once ( in a game we should of won)

Pao beat PAOK

Pao beat Aris in OAKA and drew in Aris ( a game we dominated and should of won)

Ten Cate lost to Oly...

We have two big games left.. and lots of little games...

Last year... we lost alot of little games...

That cost us the title.

We totally outplayed them and I agree we were really unlucky! I also agree we should have brought in Cleyton or Petro...when Simao came on that really surprised me. Cisse should be given a chance and we'll see if he will score against Roma, Oly, PAOK. I'm not worried at all since we played real well.

i think this how we all should be thinking right now.. :tup:

I am excited to see Salpi finding his form. He is good for around ten goals per season and so far he has only three. I see him scoring about 7 in the next 10 games to augment Cisse's another expected 5-7 goals. Add to that an odd goal from Karagouni/Katsourani/Leto/Sariegi and our opponents will get lower back problems from collecting the ball from the net B)

I am excited to see Salpi finding his form. He is good for around ten goals per season and so far he has only three. I see him scoring about 7 in the next 10 games to augment Cisse's another expected 5-7 goals. Add to that an odd goal from Karagouni/Katsourani/Leto/Sariegi and our opponents will get lower back problems from collecting the ball from the net B)

Yeah, I was never crazy about Salpi but the last couple of games he's been good; a lot less falling or diving.

If ur ever on a 3 week vacation and dont feel like doing anythign but drinking beers and watchign TV.. I suggest u get the 5 seasons of lost on DVD

Its an experience..

I had surgery 4 years ago and was forced to stay in bed... and watched the first 3 seasons in 2 weeks.. Iwas hooked

As for tomorrow..

4-0

Archived