Phantis Forums

January 2010 Transfers

cyberfish

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well ive got to continue i guess...i am glad the tziolis is gone..im sorry pao fans gave him so much crap though...that prob didnt help him psychologically which was probably not so good for his career...young players need lots of encouragement which tziolis did not have..he came on to the team when we expected titles which we did not get and in my opinion, if we stick with players like manztios and tziolis we would never win the championship...they have no work rate..tziolis is a tall strong kid but he always looked like a little mouse on the field..so timid and so lazy..he not good enough a passer to play the 'pirlo' role and too weak on the tackle for a simao-type role...so where do you put a midfielder that cant pass excellent or cant tackle well and doesnt hustle? the bench? i would prefer off the team... the fact is that tziolis did have his chances at pao and he has not delivered with the exception of a few nice goals or decent game...maybe mantzios and tziolis are just not a good pair for panathinaikos...do i hope they do really well outside greece, yes i hope they find a spark and become really good players because that can help the ethniki..they both have some ability but were always missing that little extra that wins championships...he will team up with malezani too (if he still has his job)

on another note, i like to see this stuff..

http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid...2&pubid=7067968

shows good character by our management...some ounce of integrity that we have been lacking these past year ( cough gkekas cough )

well ive got to continue i guess...i am glad the tziolis is gone..im sorry pao fans gave him so much crap though...that prob didnt help him psychologically which was probably not so good for his career...young players need lots of encouragement which tziolis did not have..he came on to the team when we expected titles which we did not get and in my opinion, if we stick with players like manztios and tziolis we would never win the championship...they have no work rate..tziolis is a tall strong kid but he always looked like a little mouse on the field..so timid and so lazy..he not good enough a passer to play the 'pirlo' role and too weak on the tackle for a simao-type role...so where do you put a midfielder that cant pass excellent or cant tackle well and doesnt hustle? the bench? i would prefer off the team... the fact is that tziolis did have his chances at pao and he has not delivered with the exception of a few nice goals or decent game...maybe mantzios and tziolis are just not a good pair for panathinaikos...do i hope they do really well outside greece, yes i hope they find a spark and become really good players because that can help the ethniki..they both have some ability but were always missing that little extra that wins championships...he will team up with malezani too (if he still has his job)

on another note, i like to see this stuff..

http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid...2&pubid=7067968

shows good character by our management...some ounce of integrity that we have been lacking these past year ( cough gkekas cough )

Who scored the most important goals for us in the CL last year? Or did you not bother to watch? Mantzios has his drawbacks as a player (too slow) like ALL players; but to dismiss him like he's useless is ridiculous. He's the most creative attacker Greece has (name me a player more creative). And so there I go again defending him (cyber, help me out here). :LOL:

ok but at all the years at pao how many goals does he have?? out of how many games played?? ive watched every match thank you, i think ive only missed a handful of pao matches in probably 7/8 years...creative? why because he has a good touch?? he is a striker..he is suppose to score..he never 'created' very much either and if he was such a talented and gifted player he wouldnt be playing in cyprus...the stats and the facts match the assesment..to say he has at most an average work rate is giving him a lot of credit...

ha ha Clover, you don't seem to need any help. I have concluded that you are Mantzios' relative, and I even suspect you might be Mantzios himself :LOL:

If you read back a few years, you will see that I was very supportive of Mantzios and one of the few who had good words to say about both Tziolis and Mantzios.

But that was a few years back when both players came as new talents full of potential. They both had plenty of chances to develop but neither seemed to be improving their game. Somehow they stayed at the same level they came to PAO at.

I am grateful for the goals Mantzios scored but I would not be honest with my self if I ignored all the games he didn't find the net. I think Mantzios would make a decent backup, but there comes a time when a player doesn't want to settle for second best at a top team. Mantzios will be much happier being featured with a smaller team where he can have his glimpses of brilliance here and there and the murmur will be less when he doesn't deliver.

I also have faith that Tziolis can excel in the right system, especially in a less demanding club. While his weaknesses are known (speed, work rate), I still see some potential in terms of discipline and dedication in a narrow-scope assignment. He showed some decent game going forward, and he also seems to be tactically aware of the space around him.

I am always thankful to players who honored the green jersey and I try my best to be respectful to our ex-players. Very few times I lose my patience (Gekas with his constant bitching about the team when he left got me irritated) and I wish our departed all the best.

If Tziolis does sign with Siena for 1.4m (still haven't seen any official announcement) it's good news for Panathinaikos. It will serve us well if the club is perceived as a good step upwards in a player's career.

Also, if it's true that Siena paid 1.4m for Tziolis, Antoniou must be genius. Sure he messed up in the CB area (Melissis, Bjarsmyr - I do like Kante better now, etc) but he is pulling some amazing moves out of nowere: Gilberto, Cisse, Katsouranis, Leto, good money for Tziolis.

Sometimes we tend to remember only one side. However every player has many sides to his personality and abilities. I agree with Cyber. Mantzios had potential, scored some goals, but didn't perform very well over all.

I've played the game and I've seen many players who have talent and are very creative... Here's the key: when they do something that if it isn't successful they won't be blamed, then they do it. But, when they're presented with a chance that it can't possibly be missed, well, they blow it! It's a psychological hurdle every great player has to conquer.

I had my doubts before but when I saw Mantzios in that final cup game that he missed an open net from 3 yards ...when the ball was rolling slowly just needed to be pushed into the net and Mantzios kicked it like a defender... at that point I was convinced that he had to go.

Tziolis too. Too timid for his size. He couldn't pass and for any midfielder that's a necessity.

I saw much more potential in Matos.

PS.

Also, I want to add that a change of place may change the player. A mediocre player may do marvels with a new team, or a great player does poorly when transfered. I wish both of them well. They helped our team.

Malezani is must love PAO too much to pay so much money for Tziolis.

He also seems to like Tziolis a lot, even though he mentions that he can play in positions that I don't think he can. http://www.sportdog.gr/v3/article.aspx?id=121665

He mentions that he thinks Tziolis can play in front of the CBs, which I don't think he can, and I don't remember ever Tziolis playing as the lone DM in front of the CBs.

Malezani also says Tziolis can play on the line in a system with 4 midfielders. He played there a few times with not much success.

To me, from all the games I've seen, Tziolis has played his best in the one game at Bremen when he was in front of the two DMs. But after that game he was never a factor in that position. He has mostly played as a second or third DM on the right where he does well, especially when the team is forced to shield the defenders.

I always liked Malezani though and I think he got a bum deal with mostly young players. I wonder what he could do with Cisse/Gilberto/Katsourani/Leto and others from our current roster. The guy had some pretty mediocre talent in Seric, Kotsios, Biscan, Conceicao, Wouter, Charalabidis, Torgele, Theodoridis, Darlas, Andric... We have come a long way.

Just to conclude this topic, the transfer season ended today.

We didn't bring in any new players but we unloaded Mantzios (Anorthosi on 6month loan), Dimoutsos to Panetolikos on 6 month loan, and Tziolis to Siena for a reported 1.4 million Euro.

Given the fact that we have 10 games to play, we are +6 from second place, that we are still within reach of all the goals we set out to capture (SL, Cup, "far in Europe"), and that we play the best football since Kyrastas, it's just as well.

Apparently the pickings were slim and bringing in a CB similar to the ones we already have would not be very constructive at this point.

Our needs, especially at CB, didn't dissapear, but our defense doesn't look that bad any more and we can afford to wait until the summer when the market will be more favorable.

i think antoniou is right for once..the team they signed over the summer was the team that would win the championship..im glad we didnt sign a 'decent' cb or another player just for the fact of making signing..the management is being smart financially and coaching staff and antoniou are beign smart by not taking a risk on a semi-par player, overpaying for players or picking when there is only 'slim pickings'.

we will have a much easier time signing the RIGHT killer cb in the summer..lets hope they do it

I'm not very disappointed that we didn't get anyone in January. It'd be ridiculous to spend $8 mil on anyone. PAO needed some great defender (much better than the ones we now have) but also ready to play right away.

They should concentrate in getting the title and into the CL. Then more money will come in and there will be time to build the defense before next season.

I don't know if the smaller euro clubs can ever be serious contenders for the title. The gap isn't getting smaller between the very rich and the rest. It'll take exceptional coaching, player performance and a club organization with great scouts to put a team (with small budget) together that can seriously contend.

Interesting: Gekas said PAO probed his return last month:

http://www.sentragoal.gr/article.asp?catid...2&pubid=7163951

Ironically, as much as I got sick of him bashing Panathinaikos after he left, I think he would be a good backup for Cisse because he is the same style player (minus the speed and power, rocket shot, and cool hairdo) and we would not have to alter our style of play if Cisse were to miss a game.

Archived