Phantis Forums

Atletico Madrid - APOEL

Irlandos

Anyone who seen the match? Please, some player performance ratings...

I'll write the player ratings later tonight, right now I need a drink!

AMAZING NIGHT! So much for losing every game by 4-5 goals as a couple of the posters said. This is Hellenic spirit at its best! :gr:

NOW BRING ON CHELSEA! :P

Just finished watching the match at the pub.

For those that predicted APOEL would get no more than 1 point in the group, well I guess you're spot on... so far.

Hiotis is freakin awesome. Very decisive, no half stepping when it came his way. He even blocked a shot with his head! lol. Definitely player of the match. :nw:

Charalambides had 2 very good chances to put it away, but so did Forlan for Altletico, so I can't complain.

APOEL is a tough nut to crack. Don't be surprised if there is an upset vs. Atletico when they play in Kypro.

The yellow is for Cyprus, the blue is for Greece! :gr:

Dionisis Chiotis – 9: Near enough the perfect performance. If he'd saved a penalty too it would have been the perfect 10! :P I've been saying for some time now that he should be Greece's number 1. Rehaggel probably doesn't even know he exists though <_<

Christos Kontis – 7.5: Did very well against Simao. Dominguez caused a few problems but overall he nulified them.

Paulo Jorge – 5 : Was good in the air but he was clumsy and very heavy legged. He nearly cost APOEL with his mistakes at centre back.

Altin Haxhi – 8: Worked hard and had a good game. He struggled with the pace of Aguero, but I guess it's testament to him that he coped so well despite not being as quick as his opponents. His positioning was very good.

Nuno Morais - 7.5: A very good game. Pressed well and worked hard. His passing was a little off at times but he was always covering his positions and was clever in possession.

Konstantinos Charalambides – 4: Usually one of APOEL's talismen, tonight he was poor. He missed 2 absolute sitters and his decision making was also poor, ruining a couple of potential chances because he tried to dribble instead of pass.

Savvas Poursaitidis – 7.5: Superb performance. Pressed excellently and was a real giant.

Helio Pinto – 7: He worked so hard and did the ugly stuff well, pressing their defence throughout and winning some important challenges.

Michael Chrysis – 7.5: A very good defensive performance. He was superb in the tackle and pressed excellently. Didn't get forward though.

Marcin Zewlakow – 6 : Worked hard and got into great positions. Had his teammates delivered more accurately he might had popped up with a goal. He did miss a great headed chance off of a corner in the 2nd half though and he was a little clumsy when in possession.

Kamil Kosowski - 7.5: Did a great job with his movement and dribbling. His delivery was poor on a couple of occassions but he really was a headache for their backline throughout.

Subs

Boban Grncarov - 7.5: I thought he did very well to keep Aguero quiet the whole 2nd half. Very good performance.

Marinos Satias - 7: Broke up the play excellently in centre mid. Maxi and Aguero struggled with him.

Paulista - 4: He didn't put a foot right. He lost the ball pretty much every time he got it.

Manager: Jovanovic - 9: With the exception of introducing Paulista, his tactics and decision making was perfect tonight.

A couple of comments, Euro2004:

*Charalambides created those chances with his speed. He was also a headache for Atletico and better up front than Zewlakow. Deserves much more than a 4.

*Haxhi was ineffective and probably the weakest link in APOEL's lineup. No way does he serve an 8! Maybe half of that.

*Kosowski was easily the best outfielder APOEL had. Deserves at least an 8.

*Hiotis: what imperfection did you spot to deduct a point from excellence??? 10!

It's funny the about face people have done on Xiotis. I remember after I first joined here when he was at AEK, everybody was blatantly derogatory about his goalkeeping. PAO fans laughed their butts off, as did us Olympiakos fans, but none were harder on him than AEK fans. I recall an article uefa.com did about AEK after they beat PAO that year and whoever wrote cited "the talented goalkeeper" Xiotis, and the reaction of AEK fans who claimed "What? He just ran around the ball hit him". Maybe he wasn't as good as he is now back in the day, but I'm still amused. Since coming to APOEL, he's played very well.

A couple of comments, Euro2004:

*Charalambides created those chances with his speed. He was also a headache for Atletico and better up front than Zewlakow. Deserves much more than a 4.

*Haxhi was ineffective and probably the weakest link in APOEL's lineup. No way does he serve an 8! Maybe half of that.

*Kosowski was easily the best outfielder APOEL had. Deserves at least an 8.

*Hiotis: what imperfection did you spot to deduct a point from excellence??? 10!

I disagree. Charalambidis was wasteful in front of goal and in possession. I also disagree about Haxhi, yes he struggled at times but he was being doubled up on by Juarado and Aguero. I though he battled well. Kosowski was very good but his crossing was poor (except for the one when Bidis missed a sitter). As for Chiotis. He didn't put a foot wrong, but I didn't give him a 10 because I'm a miserbale little man! :P

It's funny the about face people have done on Xiotis. I remember after I first joined here when he was at AEK, everybody was blatantly derogatory about his goalkeeping. PAO fans laughed their butts off, as did us Olympiakos fans, but none were harder on him than AEK fans. I recall an article uefa.com did about AEK after they beat PAO that year and whoever wrote cited "the talented goalkeeper" Xiotis, and the reaction of AEK fans who claimed "What? He just ran around the ball hit him". Maybe he wasn't as good as he is now back in the day, but I'm still amused. Since coming to APOEL, he's played very well.

True, and nightsurfer and my good self were among his critics: he was too erratic and, after our experience with Atmatzidis, that was the last thing we wanted in a keeper!

Archived