Phantis Forums

2008-2009 Champions League

BlueStriker

Surprised there hasn't been any talk about the top club competition in the world. Did anyone watch Liverpool-Chelsea? Big time surprise with a Chelsea away win 1-3, but I wouldn't count Liverpool out, those sneaky reds have a reputation for creating upsets. Torres, Gerrard, and Benayoun can make it real exciting when they're on top of their game.

Man Utd. v. Porto 2-2, with 2 goals in the final 5 min., Porto scoring in the 89th! :o That was the best match of the final 8 so far. I'll put the odds at 60-40 in favor of Man Utd. when they play away in Portugal.

Barcelona are off to the semis with a 4-0 spanking over Bayern Munich.

Arsenal-Villareal 1-1. I can't see Arsenal losing to these flaming yellows next match, but who knows.

porto were spectacular...they made so many chances, frustrated Man U, ran ran ran.

They definitley played like a side worthy of the semifinals, and definitley deserved that tie. they have some great talent and they played so well together...Man U still have a chance, they just need to win....but the Dragao can be quite a tough ground and has good fans esp for the european games...I just dont know. I can see Porto finishing off the tie, its going to be another exciting match I think.

Also credit to them....3 forwards in old trafford and knew how to use them.

I think Chelsea, Arsenal, and Barca will pass through.

Barca defintly very strong.....should have been 6 or 7 nil too....

Ok, Chelsea v. Liverpool had to be one of the best CL games I've seen in a while! I knew it wasn't going to be easy for Chelsea, and from up until the 85th Liverpool was close to pulling of another CL miracle. I was disappointed to see Gerrard not even on the bench, one of my all time favorite players and the reason I support Liverpool, plus the fans have a passion similar to the Greek fans. That Alex free kick though was a smoking hot bullet. :nw:

Yes Porto were spectacular last week, and I hope they play the same style in Portugal. I wish Greek teams in the CL played more like Porto away from home.

Barca has crazy technical players that must have some form of telekenisis and psychic ability the way they pass in the around the box and play off each other, I think this is their year to win it all.

porto blew it... it looked like they lacked energy and effort to be honest. They could have been swarming forward, they were just careless, and played very conservative even with a goal down at home....they were 1 goal away from qualificaiton, yet they just....didnt play for it. 1-2 decent chances, but still dissapointing.

Manchester Arsenal.....good luck to Arsenal, I think maybe well see a repeat this year...

Chelsea - Man U ?

or

Barcelona - Arsenal?

• 2 weeks later...

Barcelona vs Chelsea tonight and i really can not wait for this one.Super teams with great superstars meeting at a really nice stadium. :box:

Go- BARCA-Go :tup:

i cant beleive man u went up 2-0

Sometimes i really hate early goals. The game has been basically over for 40 mins now.....really makes the game dull. Good for Man U but for the neutral viewer, quite boring semi final tie in both matches. the quarterfinals really were the highlight of this years tournament I think......

Man U- Porto (one of the best CL games this season), the return tie Porto was always still in it being inches close of going through

Chelsea Liverpool......incredible second leg and great first leg

Barca - Bayern to see an elite european team torn to shreds 4-0 (should have been 6 or 7 -0 ) by the worlds best attacking team...incredible.......

Arsenal Villareal was decent tie too...in spain

Yeah the quarterfinals were much better. Only thing I enjoyed so far in the semifinals was the Ronaldo free kick today (even though i hate him). All that bleach in Almunia's hair was soaking through his scalp and into his brain on that one.

I really want to see Barca win tomorrow, no more Man U v. Chelsea finals. Barca have to be feeling confident after the thrashing of Real away from home. Man U hasn't lost a Champions League game in 25 matches. Ronaldo and Messi on the same field should make it an entertaining final. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

Yeah the quarterfinals were much better. Only thing I enjoyed so far in the semifinals was the Ronaldo free kick today (even though i hate him). All that bleach in Almunia's hair was soaking through his scalp and into his brain on that one.

I really want to see Barca win tomorrow, no more Man U v. Chelsea finals. Barca have to be feeling confident after the thrashing of Real away from home. Man U hasn't lost a Champions League game in 25 matches. Ronaldo and Messi on the same field should make it an entertaining final. We'll see what happens tomorrow.

100% with you on that.Barca vs ManUtd should be a great final.

Chelsea-Barcelona 1-1 with Iniesta scoring at the 92 minute to give Barcelona the ticket for the final.

The ref has made way to many bad calls for a CL semi-final.Mostly against Chelsea with the exceptions of the wrong red card that he gave a barcelona player and leaving them with 10 players for 15-20 minutes.

Manchester Utd vs Barcelona for final. :tup: :tup:

so barca man u final.......i think thats ideal, they have definitley been the two best teams in the tournament this year.

Chelsea i thought was unbeleivable yesterday. I understand getting pissed at refs as a PAO fan but these were some pathetic complaints I felt. The calls Chelsea are referring to are mild as hell. And I think its incredible theyre "after" the referee for this result, as CHELSEA are the ones who blew the 1-0 lead in the 93rd to a team with 10 men. Chelsea are the ones who didnt finish their chances. Chelsea were given a man advantage by grace of the referee. And now they seriously expect that the referee is at fault for a tackle where the ball was won barely, and a "handball" that is touching mostly the back shoulder blade??????? This is ridiculous.

And now Manchester United are appealing for Fletcher not to miss the final which in my opinion is not fair. If Barcelona were to appeal over Abidal Im sure nothing would happen, becuase UEFA does nothing but heed to Englands constant whining, like when Liverpool cried after they mistakenly won the Champions League btu finished in 9th.....

I hope Barcelona wins this, Ronaldo cries, and Ferguson gives that stupid look he always gives. Go Barca!

Guys, I have to tell you I lost my brain and voice when Iniesta scored. Screaming at the top of my lungs "F**K Yeahhhhhhhh!!!!!" in a public place where I was the only one watching the game never felt so good. :tup: It's games like this that remind me just how passionate this game really is. Bless football, the greatest game ever. :nw:

I've gotta admit, I've done the same thing Blu did when Iniesta scored...

I lost all hope when Eto'o's first touch gave Essien the chance to clear it but felt something could happen when it fell to Leo's feet.. He passed it square and bang! I was alone at home suddenly shouting "Koydu Beee!!!" (He's put it away in Turkish slang :P ) ...

I checked it on the web after the game and saw that many people, regardless of who they support domestically, did the same! So, at least I now know I am not mad! Not yet, anyway... :D

• 3 weeks later...

So who's going to win the final?

I hate to admit it, but I think Man United are the better team when it comes to games like this. I don't have a good feeling about Messi doing what he does in the Spanish League over in this game. I think he'll get shut down, but I guess that will leave another 9 players open to do their thing. I wish Alves was playing, the guy can be a real difference maker the way he places the ball in the box with perfect precision.

Anyways, I'll be in a British pub loaded with Man Utd. fans, and I'll be cheering for Barca. :D I can care less what happens to me. As long as I see Ronaldo cry, it will make my day. :tup:

I enjoyed Barca's win. Both goals, especially the second by Mesi, were beautiful.

I don't think ManU (with the exception of the first 5 minutes) actually did anything special. Barca deserved the trophy.

I wonder when PAO will play again a euro final...

Good win for Barca. I'm surprised how non-threatening Man United was. Before the game, I was expecting them to at least get one goal in.

I'm disappointed I didn't get to see Ronaldo cry, maybe he was holding it in till he got to the locker room. :ph34r:

I'm disappointed I didn't get to see Ronaldo cry, maybe he was holding it in till he got to the locker room.  :ph34r:

Only Greeks can do that :D.

Although if you look closely he almost started crying (he was doing that thing again where he lifts his head up and tilts it slightly to the right ... at that point it's almost 90% he's gonna cry :LOL:, I'm sure he cried in the locker room! )

Archived