Phantis Forums

Israel - Greece

dark_horse

One more thing to the adiministrators, I have been a memeber since 2003 and have made well over 200 posts how am I still a rookie lol ? just a question!

take care !

You've made exactly 133 posts up to this point :D ... I think you pass rookie after 200 posts. The time you've been here is not taken into account.

Anyways, glad to see you posting again ! Welcome back ! :tup:

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got to say that I'm disgusted at tonight's performance. If we played with any urgency at all we'd have destroyed them. They were terrible and we couldn't capitalise. Mark my words, the home game vs Switzerland and this game tonight have cost us qualification.

Otto has to go NOW! His tactics are poor and he can no longer motivate the players either. It's shocking! We had no pace at the back and no pace in front of the defence either, it's as if Otto was begging for us to get ripped!

Chalkias did very well, he pulled off a great save from Sahar and he was solid throughout (even though he was only rarely called upon).

Seitaridis is a shadow of his former self

Kyrgiakos is the best defender Greece has, but he's lost alot of pace since moving to Greece and that was noticable tonight.

Dellas isn't good enough for international football any more.

Avraam isn't even good enough to play football as a pro let alone for the Greek NT.

Torosidis was terrible tonight, when will Otto realise that he can't play on the left?

Tziolis is too slow and he's too easy to get past as a result. He's not good enough!

Karagounis was bright-ish but he was a little selfish and his play was rushed at times tonight.

Basinas' passing was excellent but at his age he can only be used as a "luxury" player. In other words, if he has 2 amazingly energetic players around him, i.e. in the mould of Simao (PAO) or Hargreaves then he can be very dangerous. He doesn't have the energy or the pace to be a holding midfielder for Greece in the current format though.

Haristeas did ok, on another night he could have had a couple of goals.

Gekas was superb, running like a mad-man and getting his goal.

Samaras was pretty poor too. Why on earth does he come so deep? On 4 ocassions I saw him behind Tziolis! :blink: STAY UP FRONT RE m#$%!! Drop a little if you want, but don't ever be 35 yards away from Gekas!!

Patsa did well, he deserves to be ahead of Tziolis in the pecking order.

Overall the balance of the team was all wrong, it was just too slow. But above that, I can't forgive the lack of urgency, it was such a lazy performance. Go back and watch their goal again. Watch how we lose the ball up front and none of the 5 player that were up front bothered to run back to defend. That's unforgivable! We blew it tonight guys, because even if we beat Israel at home I can guarantee that the Swiss will too. The BIG game will be between us and Switzerland away from home, and we will not win that. So I'm predicting we'll finish 2nd and if we do how many other "play-off" teams do you think we're capable of beating?

Let's say we play one of Portugal, Czech Rep, Russia, Croatia, Turkey, Serbia, Ireland, and Scotland (all very possible 2nd placed teams), who do you really fancy our chances against? Maybe 1 or 2 of them? We need top spot and we blew it tonight! :tdown:

Largely entertaining game, and if you told me greece would've drawn 1-1 before the game started, I would've taken it. although i think its two points dropped because we took the lead away from home, im still happy with the result and this should bring us the confidence to beat them at home.

Israel are shakey at the back and their keeper looked borderline calamity on occassions (although he made a brilliant save from patsa at the end). Their youngsters had a field day running around basinas and dellas. Dellas simply just doesn't have that yard of pace that he used to, and he looks vulnerable to the sahar-type players. I say play Kyrgiakos and Sokratis as CBs and Avraam as well if you want to play 3 CBs. basinas was largely poor in defence, many missed tackles. but this is expected as he hasn't been getting games at Pompey, then again look how Gekas played and he's in the same situation

Anyway, credit must go to greece and otto. we worked hard and got the result simple, and with a little more luck (i.e. Charisteas's two golden opportunities with his head ) we might've won. Gekas, Karagounis, Samaras and Kyrgiakos were our best today imo.

no urgency, no passion (excpet for a few - gekas, karagounis).....no overlapping runs, no taking advantage of all the wide open spaces in the israeli defense.....absolute crap tactical scheme.....we miss katourani, but ONLY when he plays up along with kara.....he is fiery and volatile...but has the pace and off ball forsight.....

basinas needs help to exploit his strengths...but iether otto feels we dont have the wings or we better off playin this type of ball....

the worstpart is we gave the isralis confidence going into wednesday's game....instead of pounding the mangia and swagger out of them, and demorilizing them, they now THINK they can hang with....face it we are not a top caliber team...

look at teh result form yesterday....all the big clubs win what they expected to win...we need teams to feel defeated BEFORE we even get on the pitch...thats the mark of a top team....

lets see what happens wednesday.....i dont like what i see....but then again with their history, hey can come out and win 3-0 becuase they decided to play hard that day...

I watched a replay of the match last night and I was left feeling dissapointed.

Most of you are spot on in my opinion about players not being able to cut it in international football or players that are past it.

The players aren't really to blame here though.

Otto is selecting them and playing them in these positions. We played an Israeli team who's best player was a 19 yo kid who made us look second rate.

Aside from Sahar who was the best player on the pitch, this Israel side would have been pounded 0 - 5 by a Germany or Spain and even a Turkey. We got a 1 - 1 and our mentality is as if we drew against Argentina in the group stages of the WC.

Where was Sokratis? Why does he continue with Avraam???

I think Tziolis has a role in the side, but he was way below what is acceptable for a player who is playing regularly in the Bundesliga.

Kyrgiakos is a fine rock as a defender. He has lost some pace though, but he needs someone better than Avraam next to him.

Why is Toro still playing out on the left? He should be on the right side and Seitaridis should play next to Kyrgiako. Or as Henk ten Cate has done, he should even play Vyntra as a centre back.

Alas we might limp into the WC finals, but can we honestly accept anything more while we continue with this manager?

Gagatsis has gone and I realise that otto has a contract, but if the new EPO is serious, they should get rid of Otto and his translator Topalidis. Name a stadium after Otto, but stop making fools of the Greek public with this tripe they server up.

FT Malta 0 - 3 Denmark - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Albania 0 - 1 Hungary - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

World Cup qual. - Europe (Group 2)

March 28

FT Luxembourg 0 - 4 Latvia - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Moldova 0 - 2 Switzerland - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Israel 1 - 1 Greece - TOOK A BIG ANGOURI.........

FT Russia 2 - 0 Azerbaijan - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Wales 0 - 2 Finland - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Germany 4 - 0 Liechtenstein - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Spain 1 - 0 Turkey - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

GOOD TEAMS TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS...... NO "IF WE WERE LUCKY, IF THIS IF THAT....NONE OF THAT- IF WE WERE GOOD ENOUGH WE WOULD HAVE WON 4-0....

WE GOING NOWHERE FOLKS.....TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE AGAINST AN, AT BEST, 2ND DIVISION OPPONENT

ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS AN ACCPETABLE RESULT IS LIVING IN LA LA LAND....

FT Malta 0 - 3 Denmark - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Albania 0 - 1 Hungary - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

World Cup qual. - Europe (Group 2)

March 28

FT Luxembourg 0 - 4 Latvia - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Moldova 0 - 2 Switzerland - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Israel 1 - 1 Greece - TOOK A BIG ANGOURI.........

FT Russia 2 - 0 Azerbaijan - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Wales 0 - 2 Finland - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Germany 4 - 0 Liechtenstein - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

FT Spain 1 - 0 Turkey - TOOK CARE OF BUSINESSSSS

GOOD TEAMS TAKE CARE OF BUSINESS...... NO "IF WE WERE LUCKY, IF THIS IF THAT....NONE OF THAT- IF WE WERE GOOD ENOUGH WE WOULD HAVE WON 4-0....

WE GOING NOWHERE FOLKS.....TERRIBLE PERFORMANCE AGAINST AN, AT BEST, 2ND DIVISION OPPONENT

ANYONE WHO THINKS THIS IS AN ACCPETABLE RESULT IS LIVING IN LA LA LAND....

Here's the thing though, Israel do not suck like all the other teams you pointed out, save for Turkey. We drew a team that is every bit as good as we are

omonia, with all due respect, if u r a national team fan you cant be happy with 1-1..... my point is good teams ake care of business.......2-0, 3-0, 4-0

effort.....effort....effort......on that day yes isreal was every bit as good as we were.....time of possession, etc all that is crap.....the score matters....PERIOD...i saw a slow, tired, bored, complacent greek team who had PLENTY of room in the offensive zone to maneuver and did nothing.....players out of position, playing three center backs against who? spain? argentina? no.....ISRAEL...c'mon you kidding me!!!!! .....U HAVE GO IN THERE AN CRUSH ISRAEL IF U FACNY YOURSELF AGOOD TEAM....WE JUST ARE NOT A GOOD TEAM, AND TYING ISRALE PROVES THAT...

dont know what will happen wednesday...maybe a different team shows up....otto is squarely to blame here....i know he has the task of qualifing and mixing in young talent...but if you and me and everyone else figured out that in 2004, the SAME players would be 6 years OLDER and, that was proven in euro 2008, dont you think HE could also see that and blend in young talent?

i just dont get it.......i would rather NOT qualify for the next big tournament at the expense of a younger team learning the ropes, than this team somehow making it to the world cup anf osing 4-0, 4-0, 4-0,.............can u imagine dellas basinas haristeas, etc. in 2010 ?

i respect what they have accomplished, but this is a "what have you done for me lately" industry......

like i said i just dont get it

with that said i would be glad to eat my words after wednesday's game....if we dont get three points CONVINCINGLY, we are done.......

All I'm saying is, sure as fans we want the ethniki to win every game, but this draw is not the end of the world either. At the end of the day, it's all about getting to South Africa, and if we get there, it's all about winning the World Cup. Any Greek who's honest realizes the latter goal of ours is going to be highly unlikely, but getting there proves your country is among the best in the world. How we get there, is not as important as getting there and I think we can get there, whether by winning our group or finishing 2nd. Now let's bring out the passion Wednesday, and with some hard work, we can win the damn match, still be leading our group with only one tough match to go

Sotiris Kyriakos is the worst Greek defender of all time... what a f*ckin disgrace this bloke is. Greece won Euro 04 cause he was injured at the time...FACT!!!!!

As if his disgusting performance in Euro 08 against Sweden wasn't bad enough. Here is a player who got caught out playing for the foul instead of trying to win the ball which directly led to Swedens second goal. He then fained injury trying to cover up his f*ck up.

So it's half time against Israel, we're up one-nil and what has this guy done... created 3 chances for Israel by unnecessarily slide tackling every blade of grass, missing everytime. He's made Ben Sahar look world class.

He is a throw back to Greek defenders of the 1970's. All he does is slide tackle. While all world class centre backs in 2009 know you should always stay on your feet....this prick just slide tackles...nothing more.

Is Rehhagel blind???

I don't think Kyrgiakos is that bad...but I really can't argue with your points.

He was a disgrace in that fiasco with Sweden's goal. He feigned injury because he was made to look like the fool. You're quite correct about Euro 2004. Who knows if we would have gone onto win if he was fit?!?!

Yes he did make Sahar look like Robinho, but then again so did everyone else out there wearing white.

Anyway, I blame Otto for playing Avraam next to him rather than a better central defender.

Otto has seriously lost most of hiscredibility with how he has gone on with it post Euro 2004.

I can't believe he still plays Dellas/Halkias/Basinas.

This is the best we're going to see until Otto retires/resigns or gets fired. :nono:

Sotiris Kyriakos is the worst Greek defender of all time... what a f*ckin disgrace this bloke is. Greece won Euro 04 cause he was injured at the time...FACT!!!!!

As if his disgusting performance in Euro 08 against Sweden wasn't bad enough. Here is a player who got caught out playing for the foul instead of trying to win the ball which directly led to Swedens second goal. He then fained injury trying to cover up his f*ck up.

So it's half time against Israel, we're up one-nil and what has this guy done... created 3 chances for Israel by unnecessarily slide tackling every blade of grass, missing everytime. He's made Ben Sahar look world class.

He is a throw back to Greek defenders of the 1970's. All he does is slide tackle. While all world class centre backs in 2009 know you should always stay on your feet....this prick just slide tackles...nothing more.

Is Rehhagel blind???

I don't think Kyrgiakos is that bad...but I really can't argue with your points.

He was a disgrace in that fiasco with Sweden's goal. He feigned injury because he was made to look like the fool. You're quite correct about Euro 2004. Who knows if we would have gone onto win if he was fit?!?!

Yes he did make Sahar look like Robinho, but then again so did everyone else out there wearing white.

Anyway, I blame Otto for playing Avraam next to him rather than a better central defender.

Otto has seriously lost most of hiscredibility with how he has gone on with it post Euro 2004.

This is the best we're going to see until Otto retires/resigns or gets fired. :nono:

Well he plays Halkias because that's really all we got with Nikopolidis out of the picture. I mean Tzorvas was backing up. How is a player who can't even start for his club, gonna start for one of the better national teams on the continent. Tzorvas needs to get somewhere where he can actually play!

All I'm saying is, sure as fans we want the ethniki to win every game, but this draw is not the end of the world either. At the end of the day, it's all about getting to South Africa, and if we get there, it's all about winning the World Cup. Any Greek who's honest realizes the latter goal of ours is going to be highly unlikely, but getting there proves your country is among the best in the world. How we get there, is not as important as getting there and I think we can get there, whether by winning our group or finishing 2nd. Now let's bring out the passion Wednesday, and with some hard work, we can win the damn match, still be leading our group with only one tough match to go

I couldn't disagree with you more strongly. I'm with mangas21 on this.

Your mentality is fine if we're talking about Cyprus, but not Greece. They were the Euro champions not some European minnow who accept 0-0 draws against Wales as a great result!

We are pooryl managed and the players are either past it or stale due to the said manager.

What matters is not just qualifying for the WC next year, but if we do get there what do we do against tougher opponents?!?! History will show that we did nothing in last years Euro's by finishing last out of the 16 qualified teams and for this reason this whole qualifying campaign is more of the same from Otto and his selections.

Israel is not a good team. Let's not kid ourselves. What they showed on the weekend was poor but we were ordinary as well and this has unfortunately given them something to build upon for the return match in Kriti. :tdown:

We should have finished them off 0-2 and be done with it already.

bla bla bla Zhtw Ellas and death to Karamanlis bla bla :gr:

i hear u....but things are based on relatives, not absolutes.......the only way we can judge this team is what they do on the field....and this one game, against this one opponent, on this given day was probably the worst performance i have seen in a very long time....

i mean, dont u think they "played" better football against switzerland even though they lost? eliminating the score for the mommet...

they neeed to do what they did against moldoava/latvia

we miss kastourani when he is playing box to box.....he can run,has a bit of a m#$%! edge to him, passionate and can impose his will.....when he plays like that the whole midfield comes along and in the case off israel with allllll that space in their zone, we can at least invade those spaces and create some better chances....

i say sit haristea down,gekas, samaras, in fornt, kastourani behind him with deniro and company right behind them...

trust me i am not a blind fan....but E F F O R T is one thing u can control no matter what.......and this effort in the israel game, to me, was pathetic (excpet for a few)...u think for one minute the entire team played hteir "A" game? i say more like a C- or a D+......THATS what is most frustrating.......i and we have seen the team fire on all cylinders, AND in this case, in my opinion, it was NOT israel who took us out of our game......beuase you know sometimes u have to give credit to the other team for not allowing u to play your game, either by using tactics or out hustling you......but thats NOT what happened here....WE JUST PLAYED LIKE WE DID NOT GIVE A FCUK......

I couldn't disagree with you more strongly. I'm with mangas21 on this.

Your mentality is fine if we're talking about Cyprus, but not Greece. They were the Euro champions not some European minnow who accept 0-0 draws against Wales as a great result!

We are pooryl managed and the players are either past it or stale due to the said manager.

What matters is not just qualifying for the WC next year, but if we do get there what do we do against tougher opponents?!?! History will show that we did nothing in last years Euro's by finishing last out of the 16 qualified teams and for this reason this whole qualifying campaign is more of the same from Otto and his selections.

Israel is not a good team. Let's not kid ourselves. What they showed on the weekend was poor but we were ordinary as well and this has unfortunately given them something to build upon for the return match in Kriti. :tdown:

We should have finished them off 0-2 and be done with it already.

bla bla bla Zhtw Ellas and death to Karamanlis bla bla :gr:

Easy file, I'm Greek too. :gr:

This draw is not the same as a Cyprus draw with Wales, or any result involving a minnow. We're talking about 2 evenly matched sides playing to a draw. Sure, if we want it more than them, we can win, and vice-versa. Effort wise we could've been better but you know what? The big picture shows all is not lost here, and we still lead our group

i hear u....but things are based on relatives, not absolutes.......the only way we can judge this team is what they do on the field....and this one game, against this one opponent, on this given day was probably the worst performance i have seen in a very long time....

i mean, dont u think they "played" better football against switzerland even though they lost? eliminating the score for the mommet...

they neeed to do what they did against moldoava/latvia

we miss kastourani when he is playing box to box.....he can run,has a bit of a m#$%! edge to him, passionate and can impose his will.....when he plays like that the whole midfield comes along and in the case off israel with allllll that space in their zone, we can at least invade those spaces and create some better chances....

i say sit haristea down,gekas, samaras, in fornt, kastourani behind him with deniro and company right behind them...

trust me i am not a blind fan....but E F F O R T is one thing u can control no matter what.......and this effort in the israel game, to me, was pathetic (excpet for a few)...u think for one minute the entire team played hteir "A" game? i say more like a C- or a D+......THATS what is most frustrating.......i and we have seen the team fire on all cylinders, AND in this case, in my opinion, it was NOT israel who took us out of our game......beuase you know sometimes u have to give credit to the other team for not allowing u to play your game, either by using tactics or out hustling you......but thats NOT what happened here....WE JUST PLAYED LIKE WE DID NOT GIVE A FCUK......

Agree on Katsourani, disagree on playing better against Switzerland. I think you both are selling Israel short here.

its the difference between playing to win and playing not to lose.......

latvia / moldova are surely capable of prodicung a tie in israel....latvia has made a few tournament if i am not mistaken....in those games we were a different team...i dont know why, it shows clearly the two faces of this team...again, why they can come out so flat against israel and look so dominant against those other teams? its teh coaches tactics and player selection....

if u notoce when we play big teams with soccer pedigree, we line up 18 guys in the back to keep them from scoring and maaaaaaby try a counter ....sweden sniffd that out and stayd back, and you so what happen, we play patty cake patty cake with each other in our own end.......no answer whatsoever for that predictable swedish tactic...

then we come out and play a better game against russia/spain...why?

i think the difference is otto has convinced this team they cant play more offensive, creative football.....as evidience by putting three center backs in agaisnt freakin israel !!!! what message does that send to the team? also, he missd the boat trying to infuse younger players in ANTICIPATION for future tournaments....this clear to me, and even though iam not a soccer coach or talent evaluator, just plain logic tells you he missed the boat here....i used to dfend the guy claiming that he is the coach, he knows the players better, etc etc etc which is true.....but this game gainst israel is the poster child for everything that is wrong with this team and the leadership it provides.....

the problems are complex , multi faceted and deeply rooted...we all know that and no point getting into a socio/political/economic discussion......but the bottom line is when you put that shirt on you need to give 100% everytime, regardless of who you play.....a 25%difference in your effort can make the difference beween 1-1 and 5-1........

try and tell me if everyone ran round like gekas we woud not have seen a different team.....

just sssssso inconsistent, and its madening because when we tie italy, and produce good results elsewhere we have the right to expect good results more often than not, especially against freakin israel....

anyway, like i said i will eat my words if we crush them on wednesday......

did any one not feel slightly agrieved that gkekas (i think) was called OFFSIDE when he wasnt which resulted in Israel scoring what seemed to be an offside goal?????

not making excuses but this was a turning point, either way dellas shhould have scored and so should have charasteas!!!! for i second i actually thought we won in the 93' but no i was dissapointed by our angelo.

i think we can smash this team in crete, in reality if we tke 6 in the next 2 games we are in prime position for SA

Is Rehhagel blind???

THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU!!!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who sees this bloke for what he is!!

To this day the 'fiasco' as you put it which led to Sweden's 2nd goal angers me no end. It had World Cup 94 written all over it. Do you remember when Ilias Atmatzidis rugby tackled the Bulgarian in the box and then started complaining to the ref for awarding the penalty. DISGRACE!!!!

Hand on heart if Kapsis doesn't play in 04 and Kyriakos does, we don't win.

I also agree he wasn't the only one to blame for Sahar running amuck. The problem I have is that he doesn't deserve to wear the shirt after the 08 performances... and the constant slide tacking

Otto needs to go. He has served his purpose and his job is done. Again I take you back when he played with 5 defenders against Sweden. WTF! Never have defending champions played like that, it was embarrassing.

The worst thing is that we've obviously learned NOTHING! All he did the other night was replace Antzas with Avraam. For crying out loud, last time I check we don't have a front trio of Messi, Tevez and Aguero, hence we should not be playing 5... that's FIVE at the back!! We won Euro 04 playing 4. Why have we gone backwards? We played 4 at the back when we had Tsiartas bossing the midfield, a player some consider a luxury and now we need 5???

The German is drunk. We have two defensive midfielders in Tzolis and Basinas playing ahead of a back 5!!! We might as well drop Karagounis and bring in Katsouranis! and play 3 DM's. Add to that the GK and we have 9 players behind the ball. Then we ask why can't we score?

For the record I actually think Chalkias isn't bad.

SACK OTTO and Kyriakos. Then go back to playing 4 at the back.

its more or less pick your poison......

young, inexperiencced, prone to make a few youthful mistakes yet can chase the ball for 90 minutes and put more offenseive pressure on the other side and eager to prove themselves

or

experienced but slow, lethargic, no lungs for more than 45 minutes, predictable and not hungry to make any impressions, been there done that mentality that may have a good game left in them here anf there

look, very very few professional athletes maitian the same hunger, drive and passion AFTER they get the fat contract, and have expereinced much of what they will as pro's....not to disparage anyone, but its human nature....we are not robots....but a fact is a fact, and this team has given really all it can on the international stage....

otto seems incapable of infusion young talent and still maitianing a winning qualifying campaign...or at least thats what it seems like....

My beef with Otto is as long as we succeed AT ALL, with these pappoudes, he's gonna stick by them. This MIGHT get us to South Africa, but for the future I am worried. Otto is gonna be the best coach the ethniki has ever had, but for now, he has run his course

nobody can discount what he has done....but he just has not taken the next step....sometimes u need to move on, not because anyone needs to be blamed, but relationships run their course on their own.....he has not shown an ability to adjust....it is a typical german character trait.......very tough to breakdown but once htey do they are lost.....just go back and read about WWII and how all the various countires divisions perfomred when they were cut off form their main suply lines......(info, etc)

sorry i digress......but apples dont fall far form the trees.

Israeli Football Association chairman Avi Luzon mocked Greece's heavy reliance on its tall defensive duo of Dellas and Sotiris Kyrgiakos.

"This comical team of Rehhagel, all of them are two meters tall and they are passing long balls all the time," Luzon said. "I believe we can win."

HERE YOU GO.......WHEN YOU ALLOW A BUNCH OF MINNOWS SOME CONFIDENCE, THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS.....OTTO SHOULD PPUT THIS ON THE WALL AND LET ALL THESE MALA**S SEE IT...AND THEN GO OUT AND PUND THE SH*T OUT OF THOSE LITTLE PUNKS......

Archived