Phantis Forums

Villarreal - Panathinaikos

cyberfish

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F***in Right.. 1-1 is a great result.. Should of been 2-0 with that goal that crossed the line but its ok... give them a chance with a oly style penalty...

Now we await you here young spaniards.. come to OAKA... and tell us who your daddies are...

PAO THRYSKEIA THYRA 13!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh how I love Panathinaikos. We are not flahsy but we are like the Spartans at Thermopylae :LOL:

One more game now. OAKA will be on fire. Villareal can score but so can we.

Sariegi, Vintra, Simao, Mantzios, Galinovic were great!

Karagounis my MVP! With another awesome goal that now gives him the right to squander all the freekicks he wants :bangin:

very very bad showing by the ref and his assistants. The penalty given was an off foul on our def man and we had another goal not called(I'll give them that one but the pen was horrid) Also after Gilberto got the yellow he turned very biased against us poor showing from the ref. Whatever 1-0 would have been amazing but 1-1 is nothing to be pissed at I guess. We can beat these clowns in Athens if we show up and play with pride.

give them a chance with a oly style penalty...

Ok,why you are refering to my team now???This is your teams night in europe and CL,why you call our name re????? <_< <_< :D KOLIMENE :LOL: :LOL:

These guys are fast and skillful and, therefore, they will be a huge threat at OAKA. However, they will have to attack again right from the start and this is the good thing about this result. Could have been even better if the officiating was not a bit hostile. And I agree with Dude: how f...g annoying are those guys? Diving, bitching, bullying and so on. I say let's beat them in Athens - no draws and s%$#!. OK, exoun kalous paixtes alla i xwriatiki nootropia paramenei...

with all those calls i thought oly was playign against us

You are provoking me before our upcoming game but i will not retaliate on you yet.I will wait for sunday and then i will have my fun... :box: :box: :box:

For the time being,check the nice goal scored by Karagounis if it ever gets loaded

http://www.goal4replay.net/VideoWatchF.asp...?ID=24291&Ln=En

in all seriousness - this referee was a total joke.

Replay. Theres no decent arguement agaisnt it.

A penalty is MASSIVE MASSIVE call, and extremley easy to error.

REVIEW PK CALLS. IT COSTS NOTHING MORE THAN A MINUTE OR TWO, AND THE WORLD WILL NOT STOP, IF YOU PUSH "STOP" ON THE TIME, THEN "START" when you resume.

The entire match was transformed by that rubbish call. PAO before was confident, attacking and Villareal was in panic. Then, a total foul happens on Jakub (total meaning roughly 150-200% pure FOUL. ) I mean push from behind on the defender in the area dragging him to the ground, is about as FOUL as it gets. And then as Jakub falls to the ground, Pires runs over his legs??????? For a PK???

In the UEFA CL, its one of the worst CL penalties I have ever seen. Way worse than some blatant Stevie Gerard dives even.

I hope that OAKA will be a living hell, I officially despise Villareal. I want our fans to give them absolute CHAOS. I mean OAKA better be everybody on there feet and shaking the place.

You know, I don't really care about tough calls not made - though I must say that, for an assistant of some experience, that call with the ball being carried behind the line was not that difficult. Mainly because it was off a set piece and the assistant must have had a good position - so it could be thought that he didn't want to risk a flag against the home team. However, that penalty was a typical 'sfurigma edras': the defender is fouled in the box, the ref, who has called every single push during the game, pretends nothing happened and then points at the spot following a very easy fall by Pires. And there was more of that attitude during the 2nd half. That I don't like nor accept.

I hate to talk about the ref, but besides Villarreal being so skilled, I've never seen so many outstretched elbows thrown around as I saw today. I hope our players learn to play like that but I know that they will be called every single instance.

Good job by Panathinaikos who once again showed that teamwork, good strategy, and proved that heart counts just as much as skill and flare.

I was looking at the game stats and they tell the story.

Villarreal has the better stats all around except one: Distance Covered.

Panathinaikos outran Villarreal players 117.6 Km to 114.

This is a well conditioned team. I was afraid that we would not be able to follow the high tempo of a team like Villarreal, but we were able to run with them and then some.

1-1 is an excellent result. Panathinaikos just increased their chance of advancing to the 8 ten-fold. Even a scoreless draw (which won't happen) would be enough for us. This means that Villarreal would have to risk in Athens against a hostile crowd, a confident team, and a horrid pitch.

Yep, the OAKA pitch has been the worst in Greece and Ten Cate complained just last week about it. It would be an advantage. I want to see how them Villarrealies can zip them crisp forward passes around with all the bumps :P

No, Wawrzyniak helped in getting the draw. He was fouled before the penalty, and anyway, Villarreal could have scored a number of other times. It was a good result and no little Plautz is going to spoil our joy.

We'll celebrate today and then down to earth. There is a huge game coming up on Sunday at Karaiskaki and we have a second leg against Villarreal at OAKA where 90 minutes of concentration can bring us to another legendary run in Europe.

The tv guys of supersprot mentioned the player stats and get this:

Gilberto put 12 km on the pitch, most than any other PAO player! Mantzios was second in Kilometers! And Simao had 89% accurate passing. I hope DUDE watched the game :band:

BTW, here are the stats:

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/ucl/2009/302786_ts.pdf

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/ucl/2009/302786_pd.pdf

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/ucl/2009/302786_tl.pdf

http://www.uefa.com/newsfiles/ucl/2009/302786_fr.pdf

As non-fan of PAO I have to say that as far as match events go, you guys were poorly treated.

1 ) Karagounis' freekick was carried over the line by the keeper. There was a replay that was definitive. Why the assistant didn't call it only he knows. I guess he wasn't confident enough to make the call.

2 ) The "penalty" was a clear foul on Jakub Waw. Horrible refeering. This ref should be dropped from future CL matches.

3 ) I dont care if Karagounis looks like Antonis Kanakis. He is the heart and soul of this team and also the Ethniki.

Yes Cyberfish I was watching Simao, and he was absolutely superb! :tup:

I don't know how I feel about today's game tbh. I'd have def taken 1-1 before the game but having taken the lead and seen the refs slaughter PAO I'm feeling physically sick! It wasn't just the penalty, it was every little decision! PAO have to report this guy to UEFA.

If Mantzios had applied the finish to that slick move this tie would have been over, as things stand I'm nervous though. Particularly as Cyberfish pointed out that PAO covered many more kilometres. If they match our work rate at OAKA will they get the better of us??? I'm nervous.

As for the game itself tonight, some players were exceptional and others just didn't turn up. As I predicted, Nilsson struggled big time. Spyropoulos I thought did well though so I'm shocked many of you were criticising him. Goumas was poor and Sarriegui looked positionally unaware at times. Vintra and Jacub were very good though (and how good was that Vintra tackle?! That was as valuable as a goal!!!). Galinovic was rather poor imo. Yes he made a couple of important saves but his edgy handling and ridiculous attempts at collecting crosses can't have done much to inspire confidence! Simao's passing needs work (he may have had an impressive pass completion rate but his long range passing was poor) but everything else in his game was amazing today and because Gilberto didn't turn up his job was even more impressive. Karagounis was great and Mantzios was classy. Gabriel was good right up until the end when a simple pass to Salpi would have finished the tie. Instead he tried a chip pass. What on earth was he thinking???

Overall I was very impressed however, to use an old cliche, it's only half time. PAO will have to work just as hard in front of a rocking OAKA to complete the mission (don't forget they'll also have important players back by then: Rodriguez, Franco, Capdavilla, etc). As it stands I think PAO has 55% chance of progressing.

:gr:

Like Ten Cate admitted, Villarreal is the better team and it will still take a lot to eliminate them.

That's just mind games. Much like when Senna said they PAO were favourites before tonights game ;) They have a couple of exceptional talents in Santi Cazorla and Senna and some excellent strikers but they aren't necessarily better. They've never lost at the Madrigal in Europe and as far as I'm concerned PAO broke that record today (it was never a penalty!).

So unless PAO decide to approach this game as if it's already over I doubt they can score 3 or 4 at OAKA. They aren't Man Utd. If the effort remains as high in the 2nd leg and we have a bit of luck I believe we'll be celebrating.

BTW, in the last play you mentioned when Gabriel screwed up the pass, did you see Salpigidis  eyes? His eyeballs were about to burst out of his scull he was so ready to put this game away.

I know, I thought he was going to run over and bite him! :P All joking aside, I really think that was a BIG chance. It was half a goal for goodness sake. Although I can't get that and Mantzios' miss out of my head, the players have to forget all that. I find it worrying that they were celebrating to be honest because I don't actually see this as a sufficient enough advantage for that. Anyway, I really hope OAKA is rocking! Let's see a new world record in decibels! :tup:

I love it. We're not completely satisfied with the 1-1... :P We have high expectations from this team, at least in euro play. Well done tonight. Any team would kill to get 1 away goal and a draw.

If we show up on the return leg, we should be fine. The pressure is on Villareal. If we score first in OAKA, we'll go through to final 8... Even the final 16 is a great success for any Greek team, but we want more.

Goumas will miss the game at OAKA but will play on Sunday and will score against gavroi [sorry Crazy]... winning that game will make me forget the -11 points in the standings.

Btw, we'll play AEK for the cup... That'll be fun too :tup: [sorry, Genome]

It will certainly make you forget about the 11 points because they will become eight if we win at Karaiskakis! I just want to say that if you 've played a team sport you will definitely sympathise with Salpi. He puts his heart in the great hustle, wins the ball and then Gabriel tries some stupid trick and messes it up. Right then he must have thought he should have stayed with freestyle wrestling! :bangin:

Darn just read that Wawrzyniaks foul cost you guys from winning.

technically yes, but it was not a penalty. Jakub was pushed with 2 hands, clear foul by Giuseppe Rossi and would have been impossible to foul pires like that, if he had not been pushed twice to the ground.

Jakub had a very good game otherwise I thought - in terms of Poland I can see him on the national team, he is definiltey better than Zewlakow of what I have seen.

And Simao signed a new contract last week people :)

Ive been trying to stress what an asset he is!

Also great game by Galinovic.

A great result for Panathinaikos and shows they can match it with the best. From what I read Villareal could have scored a couple. The only aspect is technology...UEFA, FIFA whoever needs to support referees and linesmen with help as the goalkeeper walked the ball over the line. It was clear as...look how far his feet were back.

This is where the 4th official could have come in as the referee would go upstairs for a TV replay and the 4th ref to make a decision. All but 30 seconds...time would be called off and resumed once decision made.

Football is professional and technology must be used to help. Look at tennis, cricket and rugby they have used this technology with great effect. Footbal is still amatuer in this regards

Just imagine a 1-2 scoreline to Panathinaikos as Villareal would need 2 away goals

Archived