Phantis Forums

Olympiakos-Saint Etienne

Crazy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehehe... There's something about Karaiskaki it seems... Anyway, plenty of time left for a decent result now.

Edit: Wow, that was way outside the box!

That is why i said Kokkalis before you did....... :LOL: :LOL:

I didn't say Kokkalis man! Bad words are not allowed on Phantis!

Btw, if this team is fighting to avoid relegation in France one can only despair about the level of our football.

Lets not paint everything black yet, they got first place in their group in Uefa against teams like Valenthia.

Yes, but I 'm not doubting their quality. On the contrary, I 'm saying that they do have quality. What's really interesting is that this quality is not enough for them to secure a mid-table position in France. And the same goes for Valencia in Spain.

Ah vre Diogo, just keep going and quit diving! That could have been a goal...

St Ettiene are an unusual team... they have a crap defence in the league but in Europe they are fairly solid. At home they create a great atmposphere too. So combine those to factors: a solid team with a good home support and they are very dangerous. What worries me is that the Greek media and Oly fans are already talking as if Olympiakos are going to play Milan! This is dangerous.

So I think alot depends on what Oly team turns up. Olympiakos is unbeaten at home now in 9 European games so I can't really see St Ettiene winning but if Olympiakos don't turn up a 0-0 or 1-1 is very possible. This would be very difficult to overturn in front of their home crowd. So Olympiakos has to start hard and fast and show his serious face. If that happens I predict a 3-0 win.

1-3 final. this is not the Greek league huh? a class above what?? give us a break

I am sorry about the loss.

I am watching the the game on now that I came back from work and I just saw the first goal.

Without seeing the rest I will say that Olympiakos (and all other team that play in Europe) are being hurt by our pathetic league. When the opponent can match you on talent, having played only one or two games per season against such opponents does not help at all. Playing games when you can win with half a leg and with one of your players having two good moments does not prepare you to play against well organized teams. Playing 99% of the games at half speed does not prepare you to play in euro-speed.

What Global Financial crisis?

The real crisis is Greek football my friends! :tdown:

The only thing that can save Olympiakos now is if that quality legendary midfielder Jesus H. Christos makes a second comeback from injury. Flowing long hair and Jewish good looks with the number 10 on his back and a 10" psola. :tup:

St Ettiene are an unusual team... they have a crap defence in the league but in Europe they are fairly solid. At home they create a great atmposphere too. So combine those to factors: a solid team with a good home support and they are very dangerous. What worries me is that the Greek media and Oly fans are already talking as if Olympiakos are going to play Milan! This is dangerous.

So I think alot depends on what Oly team turns up. Olympiakos is unbeaten at home now in 9 European games so I can't really see St Ettiene winning but if Olympiakos don't turn up a 0-0 or 1-1 is very possible. This would be very difficult to overturn in front of their home crowd. So Olympiakos has to start hard and fast and show his serious face. If that happens I predict a 3-0 win.

1-3 final. this is not the Greek league huh? a class above what?? give us a break
Well actually, although my prediction for this game was very wrong, my analysis of Olympiakos' abilities were spot on... From the PAO/Ira board:

There is also a tactical reason that Olympiakos has been so ridiculously bad in Europe over the years, just like there's a tactical reason you can't break teams down. They have never had a defence. Bear in mind that a defence is not comprised of individual defenders, the defence is a unit. This is something that Olympiakos has never been able to master. I hear so much on these boards about PAO's poor defence... Olympiakos are even worse as a defensive unit! However because they always dominate possession in the superleague teams can't expose their defensive frailties, this doesn't mean they don't exist. Olympiakos were superb against Hertha and won 4-0, however if you actually study the stats: Olympiakos had 17 shots on goal, Hertha had 14!! How can any team play well and give away 14 chances at home? If Olympiakos were playing Man Utd or Barca how many would they have copped? Now go tell a die-hard and blinkered Olympiakos fan that Olympiakos have no defence and he'll start telling you how Olympiakos don't concede goals: i.e. clean sheets against PAO, AEK twice, Hertha, (conceded only 9 league goals this year, etc). That sort of blinkeredness is what you guys display here when I talk about PAO's limitations.

So read my posts before getting sarcastic... particularly after PAO created a total of 3 chances in 90 mins (1st coming on 60 mins!) against the mighty Iraklis.

As for the game, Olympiakos' defence was a joke tonight. I said it from the start of the season and I'll say it again, Avraam and Antzas are abysmal, they need to go! Cesar was better than both of them and now he's gone. I also find it extraordinary that Ledesma was allowed to leave, but we kept Patsa. Today we saw how much we missed him. Every time Machado got the ball he had at least 15 yards of space around him, Ilan too. Where on earth were Patsa and Dudu? Even when Olympiakos were in possession the distance between the midfield and defence was shocking! The last time I saw the banks so disjointed was when Sollied was in charge in the CL. If Lemonis had last years squad plus Leto and Diogo Olympiakos would have destroyed this team.

Out of Europe again because of a crappy defence, will the powers that be never learn? Despite having a poor game Olympiakos created enough chances to win this game, so the problem clearly isn't in attack. Can't Kokkalis see this??? Bring back Ledesma and go and buy 2 European class centre backs re gamoto! I'm so gutted right now. :tdown:

P.S. I heard there was crowd trouble before the game, anyone have any details on that?

I don't know man, I thought Olympiakos needed much more than two CBs today. I think no matter who you buy, if they end up playing half speed, against sub-par opponnents for 99% of the games it's hard to step it up when it counts. It doesn't help that Olympiakos has not developed the "culture" of a winner in Europe that could help them overcome their shortcomings.

I don't know man, I thought Olympiakos needed much more than two CBs today. I think no matter who you buy, if they end up playing half speed, against sub-par opponnents for 99% of the games it's hard to step it up when it counts. It doesn't help that Olympiakos has not developed the "culture" of a winner in Europe that could help them overcome their shortcomings.

You're right, tha's also part of it.

Like I said before, a defence is a unit, not a group of individuals. A group of very good individual defenders can become and superb almost inpenetratble unit, e.g. Greece in 2004, Arsenal's famous back four, etc. By the same token a group of excellent individual defenders can be abysmal e.g. Arsenal last 2 seasons, Real Madrid 2 years ago, etc. Having said this, when you have individual defensive players that are utterly useless then you'll always be vulnerable, regardless of who is playing. Avraam was good for Aris, he should go back there because he isn't at the level of Olympiakos. Antzas should either remain at Oly as a bench player, go back to Xanthi or retire. On top of that, Patsa is a joke and Dudu has to play with more discipline.

If Olympiakos had 2 good centre back plus Leonardo in the team instead of Domi, with Ledesma and Dudu sitting in front of them I doubt this game would have been lost. As rubbish as Olympiakos were many chances were still created and all three goals came from big defensive errors where the defenders were poorly positioned and where the holding midfielders were no where to be seen. These are basic issues if identified and worked on and they must be addressed asap. Olympiakos has a good foundation now and plays have to be made for next season. Diogo and Leto must be kept, to add to that Olympiakos needs 2 bring Ledesma back from loan and spend 12m euros on 2 defenders because it is no longer acceptable to suffer these sorts of disappointment against pub teams like St Etiene.

For a team that has one 11/12 Greek championships you would think it would be a big player in Europe. Instead it has become year after year an embarassment. I bet and won that St Etienne would destroy Olympiakos today and they did.

For one thing I am very glad I do not support them as it is clear there is something very wrong in Greek football.

The game versus Aris...I am sorry but the penalty that the referee gave is the biggest joke and everyone that has seen this has said the same.

Therefore it is clear that Greek football is corrupt, referees are taking back handers, Kokkalis is influencing referees and I would even go as far as saying that the EPO are also corrupt.

How can a team call themselves legends...legends are created by doing something that the whole world says wow.

At the moment Olympiakos you are only "world famous" in Greece. There needs to be an investigation and the whole league needs to be cleaned up.

Neutral referees from other nations need to be bought in because as far as I can see they are all incompetent or are being given a back handed payment.

The Greek game is dirty and corrupt and like Italy Calcio-opoli exists in Greece and needs to be cleaned up.

Its hard for a team to create a culture in Europe when a team is use to having the reff on their side game after game....

How many dives did we see today from oly players that would have been either:

a) a certain freekick in the superleague

or

B) a penalty... (diogo dive in the box was 1000000000000000000% sure to get a penalty in the superleague)

A prime example of this was when Djole "thought" he was fouled in the centre of the park and he grabbed the ball..... the ref gave a freekick AGAINST him... correctly.

In europe where everything is fair and even.... we see this teams true colours.

Today this "SUPERTEAM" was humiliated by a french who is 3rd last in their league. :LOL:

Hail the champions of greece. :LOL:

Archived