Phantis Forums

Panthrakikos v. Panathinaikos

athinaios

Haralambous just said that he did handball in the first half but he wasn't sure whether it was in the box or not. Screw the rest, props to the guy for being such a gentleman - I even noticed during the game how calm he was. This is what we lack in the Greel League: sportsmanship.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, I'm going to open an Oracle! :LOL:

1-3

Yeah, after picking Villareal for our next opponent, I'm on a roll....

Not to mention that NikosVazelas owes me a beer for listening to me and making $ on a bet. ;)

:o

he just cant get it wrong!

Hold onto some of those powers for Villareal and the PAOK derby!

1-3. I thought wed win anyways, PanThracian is not great but they fought hard at least.

We had some good chances, and were really the better team though.

Hope AEK wins tommorow, its time to start worrying about 2nd.

Playoffs...come on. No matter how bad we were, the playoffs were gonna qualify for, even for exagerations sake. But, its important not as of later - as of NOW to secure as many points as possible, so that we will be in the CL. The playoff is entered in with a point advantage. If we are going to playoffs, it should be ideally we have so many more points than the rest from the league that its basically PAOK and Xanthi battling for 3rd. That should be the worst case-scenario for our season since title this far behind, and OSFP's insurance policies will not really change, even if we pull closer on the tables. Win, and win every single game. Its the only thing we can do to make sure 100% well be in CL, and I hope the whole team realizes if they finish behind 2nd like they are now there will be no CL next year.

Haralambous just said that he did handball in the first half but he wasn't sure whether it was in the box or not. Screw the rest, props to the guy for being such a gentleman - I even noticed during the game how calm he was. This is what we lack in the Greel League: sportsmanship.

BTW Titus, I am keeping track of all the referee erros that were most blatant..

I knew you would, man. As far as HTC is concerned, it's really hard to say when the manager gets it right and when he's just lucky. We all thought that Gilberto and Kara were good candidates for a sub but he kept them on the pitch and they gave him another goal. Anyway, Fereira or whatever his name is did a lot to hand over the game to PAO as well by adding a few more forwards and weakening his midfield towards the end of the game. After that, we never had any problems: all the pressure and the creativity were gone. All in all, this was another game that proved that PAO has the quality but lacks sthing, be it passion, composure, a couple of key players or whatever.

I knew you would, man. As far as HTC is concerned, it's really hard to say when the manager gets it right and when he's just lucky. We all thought that Gilberto and Kara were good candidates for a sub but he kept them on the pitch and they gave him another goal. Anyway, Fereira or whatever his name is did a lot to hand over the game to PAO as well by adding a few more forwards and weakening his midfield towards the end of the game. After that, we never had any problems: all the pressure and the creativity were gone. All in all, this was another game that proved that PAO has the quality but lacks sthing, be it passion, composure, a couple of key players or whatever.

You are right, but I'd add that Ten Cate put in Melissis to help Gilberto. Once the hole in midfield was plugged, Panthrakikos lost the midfield. The argument is that they would have never found the space if Mattos was kept in the game, but it's all academic because the coach was proven right in the end and that's all that counts really.

Regarding the game, Panathinaikos played sloppy, and several players looked very sluggish (Spyropoulos, Gilberto, Mattos, Mantzios) at the start and the early goal seemed to throw everyone out of whack. Luckily, Sariegi, Vintra, Galinovic, and Ninis were steady and did not allow Panthrakikos to score again. They seemed to hold steady until the rest began waking up.

Certain players had a bad game, but as the game progressed, Panathinaikos quality in individual players began taking over. On the downside, the team could not really string passes together. Instead, individual efforts mostly by Karagounis, Ninis, and Salpigidis were responsible for creating dangers in Panthrakikos' defense.

Once Salpigidis equalized in the middle of the first half, everyone, including the fans, began breathing a bit easier. The few dark clouds that began gathering over our heads were scattered once Mantzios scored at the end of a nice team play down the left.

The last goal by Gilberto was the little cherry to reward the team for holding the ball and the controlling the game for the last 10 minutes.

BTW (I won't post this at the Olympiakos forum because I don't want my red friends feel bad):

The Olympiakos announcers are the most annoying and partial announcers in the universe. Diogo recieves the ball when he is clearly offsides. The picture is stopped to show it, and the annoucer said "edw vlepete o Diogo fevgei ORIAKA" :LOL: The offside is not called (of course), Zuela drops Diogo, the ref gives the penalty and red card to Zuela.

I have to say Greeks tend to be very creative with language. Akou leei "oriaka" (borderline offside = bordereline pregnant) :LOL:

BTW, this is what drives me crazy. I am watching once again the superteam being cornered in their own box by a 10-man xanthi but they are going to take the 3 points. The same way they took the game against Panathrakikos (who had plenty of chances to score) and against Asteras who did the same. They are good, but they are also really lucky, and they are pushed like crazy by refs and courts.

Panathinaikos on the other hand sees these little teams score on 100% of their chances. And, no, I don't think Antzas-A. Pap are better than our CBs.

and now, I am watching how Papadopoulos broke Dorival's ancle and only saw a little yellow from the retiring ref who's probably trying to secure a job in Kokalis' companies maybe? This was a horrible call, and a minute later watch Pantos drop Soanis in the box with the ref playing the blind man.

Give me a break.

BTW (I won't post this at the Olympiakos forum because I don't want my red friends feel bad):

The Olympiakos announcers are the most annoying and partial announcers in the universe. Diogo recieves the ball when he is clearly offsides. The picture is stopped to show it, and the annoucer said "edw vlepete  o Diogo fevgei ORIAKA"  :LOL:  The offside is not called (of course), Zuela drops Diogo, the ref gives the penalty and red card to Zuela.

I have to say Greeks tend to be very creative with language. Akou leei "oriaka"  (borderline offside = bordereline pregnant) :LOL:

what a joke of a penalty. Someone put the link up.

diogo missed anyway since he is cr@p

not to mention that prior to that the osfp players were dropping like flies when a Xanthi player came near them in the penalty box

Back to our team, and at the risk of stirring up some strong feelings I'd like to say that we have seen Ninis several times this year. He is good, but he is not that super/irreplacable/amazing good the way some fans make it seem whenever someone else plays instead of him.

I am worried that in every game he looks winded and disappears after 60 minutes of play. It could be he is too young to build professional-rate stamina (not really) or he needs to tweak his training a little bit.

In any case, I like his vision on the pitch, and I think he is a much better RM than he is an AM. He should improve his first touch, his dribble, his stamina, his speed, his strength, his explosiveness, his defensive work (I am not saying he doesn't posses any of that, I am saying he needs to get better at some or all of that) and if he does that in a few years he will be the leader of Panathinaikos for a decade or so. If not, he will be another "talent" that never got anywhere.

Just my 2 cents. You can start shooting now :P

What happened at Karaiskaki confirmed my fears that we really shouldn't bother with this league. I 'll only add to what Cyber said that Belucci should also take his marching order after a ridiculous dive to claim a penalty. And there's no shooting on my part regarding what he said about Ninis: he was impressive for a kid of 16 years but it looks like he's waste these past two years. Still, he can be huge for PAO.

cyber, in your blog, you forgot 4 penalties.....

matchday 2 vs panthrakikos, 3 possible penalties not called but 2 of them for sure are penalties. one on ruka and the other i think on souza.

matchday 15 vs ofi. 5 minute mark gilberto silva nearly raped on a corner kick no call... ironically, a much ;;softer'' penalty was given to oly on the same matchday in a very similar play

and of course .. UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM matchday vs oly.....

Mantzio trpped in the box

Hey thanks Niko, I'll add them. I guess if we take the game I don't pay that much attention, but it proves that we do beat the refs some times.

On another topic, the difference this special treatment makes is apparent not only in the way the players of the two teams play (knowing that they will or will not get the breaks they need), but also in the psychology of the fans.

I just remembered the game against Panionios last year in Leoforos. We ended up winning 2-1 but in the end Panionios were pressing for a goal. Peseiro put in Tziolis to hold the midfield and the fans began booing and chanting Ninis' name. I think this was the first time Peseiro realized the magnitute of the Pao fans' frustration that interfered with their judgment. Add a few snappy reports by Pao reporters in the media, a few mess ups by management with the prim, and the psychology of the team tanked to help finish third.

Fast forward to a similar game today in Karaiskaki. Olympiakos had a few good moments, they went ahead by 2, but in the end and for the entire second half were dominated by a 10-man Xanthi squad. But there was no booing from the fans, and there doesn't seem to be much emphasis in the media about the mediocre showing on the pitch. Instead, I see headlines about the 14th win, the fortress karaiskaki, the 9 points etc.

Why? Because Olympiakos fans don't have anything to worry about and they don't have reasons to be insecure. If Patsa pulls down a winger from behind, he only gets a stern look. If Diogo is offside not only it won't be called, the opponent will get a penalty and an ejection. If Papadopoulos breaks an opponent's leg, it will only be a yellow. If an opponent gets fouled in their box, it won't be called. What reason do they have to worry and get bitter?

Pao fans need to smarten up and understand what's good for the club. They should stop whining every time Pao does not play like Barca or every time Pao doesn't make more than three goals or every time Gilberto mishandles the ball.

It's snowing outside and I don't have anything else to do I guess :P

cyber, in your blog, you forgot 4 penalties.....

matchday 2 vs panthrakikos, 3 possible penalties not called but 2 of them for sure are penalties. one on ruka and the other i think on souza.

matchday 15 vs ofi. 5 minute mark gilberto silva nearly raped on a corner kick no call... ironically, a much ;;softer'' penalty was given to oly on the same matchday in a very similar play

and of course .. UMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM matchday vs oly.....

Mantzio trpped in the box

Ok, I added those too. Now that I have a clear list I am getting a clearer idea of what's going on. But I am preplexed because I swear I had included the Mantzios trip against Olympiakos. I am not sure how it was erased.

Paraga kai sto Blogger? :unsure: :whistle: :LOL:

also cyber , nice blog but you said "questionable" penalty vs PAO in the first AEK game.

Wrong. It was absolutley NOT a penalty and Id be honestly suprised to hear an AEK fan admit this. Not questional - FICTIONAL.

(some of the other instances I personally dont care about, refs will make mistakes (such as the handball today, which I agree with not awarding a penalty) - but that one, was absolutley not a penalty.

Thanks for the good words Drako.

Regarding the refs, I guess someone decided to write something about it:

http://assets.exedrasports.gr/files/!n...01_001_CMYK.jpg

Germanakos retired, this was his last game so I guess he didn't want to make waves and upset the home fans by calling the penatly and the ejection. His assistant missed the most important offside which left Xanthi with 10 players.

Will anyone follow up in a few years to see where Germanakos gets a paycheck from?

There was more OSFP swinging calls yesterday vs Xanthi???

Of course :P

The were a couple of marginal calls against Olympiakos, but some blatantly obvious calls that went against Xanthi:

The ejection of Zuela and the penatly called were the result of Diogo receiving the ball in an obvious offside position. The play should had been stopped.

The tackle of I. Papadopoulos was the definition of a red card. The referee was right in front of the two players staring right at their feet and he chose to only show a yellow to Olympiakos' player.

Third, in the dying moments of the game in an incoming freekick, Pantos pulled down the Xanthi player (can't remember who) in a very obvious way and out in space. There is not way the ref didn't see that. He didn't call it.

The game ended 2-1 with Xanthi playing "monoterma" (it was a joy to watch the floundering Olympiakos players panic and unable to run) in the second half even with 10 players. I think the ref was concerned that Olympiakos was in real danger of dropping points in his last game.

Konstantinou brought up the point in Athlitiki Kyriaki that a retiring ref should not be playing important games. Germanakos had no fear of punishment for his calls since he is retiring.

IMO its pretty pathetic, that OSFP fans will celebrate this years championship. The referee is securing points much better than the team is. This league really has become a joke.

Whats silverware when the refs are babying you through? Not to say OSFP is not a good team at all, or could never win without the help, but the league standings and lead have been blown completley out of proportion with OSFP favouring calls - its just clearly not been a fair contest.

The good thing is, its going to bite OSFP in the ass, into keeping around some players and coaches that arent that good, rather than improving.

On principle, it bothers me that a team (OK, gavroi) get titles that don't deserve, either due to the incompetence of refs, preferential treatment on the pitch, and successfuly winning titles on paper! :tdown:

What I find incredible is that people keep playing the three-card monty when they khow the game is fixed! B)

Archived