Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos - Thrasivoulos

cyberfish

We should win easily, but after the games against Iraklis and Ergotelis I know doubts are always in the back of our mind during such games.

Besides the injured Leontiou, Karagounis, Mantzios, Cleyton, and Moon, Ten Cate left Goumas and Sousa out of the squad. Sousa was the most expensive transfer this summer for us and looks like we'll be trying to unload him fast and release a place for a foreign player. He has not shown much and Ten Cate has taken notice. Maybe it's good news for Petropoulos who can get some extra chances to prove himself.

In other news, Cleyton and Karnezis were fined for violating curfew, and Ivan denied that he expressed unhappiness for his prolonged benching.

The game is about to start.

The lineup is in: Galinovic, Nilsson, Spyropoulos, Vintra, Sariegi, Tziolis, Simao, Gabriel, Salpigidis, Petropoulos, Ivanschitz.

On the bench: Tzorvas, Melissis, Roukavina, Mattos, Gilberto, Christodoulopulos, Ninis.

They reported a mere 5 or 6 thousand fans attending.

I just saw the goal. I like Iv - he is perhaps our only midfielder who consistently gets into the box and finishes well. Not to mention that his set pieces are superb. I know he is not the most consistent performer but he's not a player a manager can overlook in a league like the Greek one.

H-T 1-0

It looks like the team puts the fifth gear and just cruise. No urgency and no push to score. There were a couple of little chances to score but nothing exciting. The team needs to downshift and be a little more aggressive. But it's hard to blame them. Even today our defense (with the exception of Nilsson) looks shaky once again.

It's 0-2 at Kaftatzogleio with Konstantinou hitting the post twice for Ira. Apparently we can't count on luck. With us they had two shots and they both went in at OAKA...

I think chasing Olympiakos is futile. They have a better team right now. Besides we had them at home and failed to put them away, perhaps hopping someone else would do the job for us.

Honestly I just hope we stop giving hope to teams like Thrasivoulos, Iraklis, and Ergotelis.

in the 2-0 nice counter attack with Simao finding Salpi on the right who approached the box and send a soft pass to Petropoulos who was shadowed but was able to stop and shield the ball with his body, and to send it to the net with a quick twisting shot he sent it to the net. He did exactly what a CF should be doing in that spot!

The third goal was all Salpi on another quick counter. He run straight at the defense and kept the ball all the way to the edge of the box, pulling all three available defenders towards him. Then, at the right moment he found Petropoulos who was on the right place and finished with a cool left-footed boot in the near post.

Both goals with the left boot BTW..

I would love to see two more goals too, but we play with some fluidity and we missed some good chances so far. I'd like to see a clean sheet on defense. If Thrasivoulos doesn't score it will be five games where we conceded only one goal (the one in Larissa) and I would call this progress.

There's a huge game on Wednesday. I wouldn't expect the lads and the manager to be thinking about expanding the score right now. And, Cyber, I agree that the most important think, at this point, is that we move on to the next level, but I will always hope that we challenge OSFP for the title. There's little difference between the two teams and I don't think that it's as simple as "we didn't beat them at home so why expect others to beat them for us". In any case, if we stay close and do well in Europe (and the Cup) I will be happy PROVIDED that we improve our football.

Right now the most important think would be a win at Inter. At home, all we can do now is to take care of business like we are doing today.

After the euphoria of the summer we need to go back to basics. Beat everyone at home, don't give away easy scores, and convert our chances.

F-T 3-0 nice and relaxing game for us. Three goals, 3-4 close chances, and Thrasivoulos not even getting near our goal.

Like I said before, in the last five games we have conceded only one goal. in the five games prior to that we had conceded an average of two goals per game, so it looks like the team is working to improve on defense.

I was happy to see Petropoulos score twice. He also missed a couple more sitters which tells us he was on the right spot to receive the ball. He showed some speed running with defenders, and he won two or three tough headers in the box. Other than Petropoulos Salpi and Ivan put forth valuable effort with two game-winning assists by the former, and losts hard running and a goal by the latter.

Next game at Inter and after that we have the easy part of our program when I hope we can string some wins together to come a little closer to the top. I do hope that Oly loses some games, and that we can be in a position to make a win in Karaiskaki meaningful in March.

Archived