Phantis Forums

Champions League Group Stage Draw

cyberfish

Your crazy if you think we wont win in Cyprus

My girlfriend is an Ano fan. I've seen them play over 100 times, you've seen 2 games against Olympiakos and so it's natural to put it down to "Olympiakos were poor". No my friend. Ano would KO them again if they played tomorrow. Yes PAO have a more talented squad, but they have a*****a, and in Cyprus the atmosphere will be very difficult to deal with, as Olympiakos found out. Of course A.Madrid or Fiorentina would have been worse, but Cluj, Aalborg, and Bate are not as good as Anorthosis, while Shakter would have been an easier draw simply because it wouldnt have that derby atmosphere. Trust me, drawing Anorthosis is like walking a mine field. And being "sure" we'll win in Cyprus is simply a case of ignorance.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a little more perspective since these games will be played before or after some important Superleague games:

31-Aug-08 A SL AEK

14-Sep-08 H SL Panthrakikos

16-Sep-08 H CL Inter <---------

21-Sep-08 A SL Aris

28-Sep-08 H SL Ergotelis

1-Oct-08 A CL Anorthosis <---------

5-Oct-08 H SL Levadiakos

19-Oct-08 A SL6 PAOK

22-Oct-08 H CL Werder Bremen <---------

26-Oct-08 H SL Iraklis

2-Nov-08 A SL Panionios

4-Nov-08 A CL Werder Bremen <---------

9-Nov-08 H SL Olympiakos

16-Nov-08 A SL Larisa

23-Nov-08 H SL Thrasivoulos

26-Nov-08 A CL Inter <---------

30-Nov-08 H SL Asteras Tripolis

7-Dec-08 A SL3 Xanthi

9-Dec-08 H CL Anorthosis <---------

14-Dec-08 H SL Panseraikos

I am excited about these games.

Game 1: Inter seems unstopable on paper and it's good to have them at home right off the bat. If we lose, it would be expected. If we tie or win it will be a huge boost to the morale. Having them at home gives us a slight hope of recording a huge win. Let's hope we are ready. Worst case scenario, we lose by three or more. It could demoralize us. Capacity crowd will be going nuts.

Game 2: Anorthosis has a good team, but HTC is no Valverde. We'll go for the result and we'll take it. Capacity crowd will go crazy there, but I think we'll pull off a win, even if it's not a pretty one. No matter what happens in the first game, this is the perfect game #2 away. We have excellent chances of recovering from a bad result in game one, or to pull ahead of the group.

Game 3: Pao-Werder. German teams seem to be good customers, so I hope we can pull another win. It won't be easy, but at home with the crowd behind them, Pao lads have a second chance to make history. Best case scenario: this could be the third win in a row. Worst case scenario: we lose by three or more that could put as  un a tailspin for the season. A loss to Werder will be tougher to overcome (compared with a defeat from Inter). I think we'll be happy campers after this game is done.

Game 4: Werder-Pao will be a really tough one. Can we win there? I don't see it. If we do, I'll beging thinking of CL semifinals. Worst case scenario: Lose by three or more. A tie would be a huge achievement in my mind.

Game 5: At Milan against Inter, I don't think we have a chance. If we do get a tie, it would be only by miracle. Worst case scenario: embarasing defeat.

Game 6: PAO-Anorthosis. Winning won't be as easy as many want to believe, but it's easier acheiavable than in any other game. We must win, and we will, especially if we are still in the qualification game.

I hope we see some exciting games. All I want from my team is to give their heart on the pitch. I think we'll be able to reach the 32 with a little luck. I have faith that this season the team will look better than the previous ones. For once, we seem to have a good coach and the team seems to have prepared well both in preseason training (second summer in a row) and in transfers.

Pretty good post my friend Cyber but i found only 2 small mistakes in it.In game number 3 you are saying that German teams have become a good customers but the last time you met this club i think the final score was like a 5-1 for them,unless you add my team in the mix from last year.At the end you also say that you hope that you make it in the round of 32,you are already there,group stages.The knock out games are at 16. :D I undestand,it has been so long since you got here,it is overwelming... :P :D :tup: :gr:

My girlfriend is an Ano fan. I've seen them play over 100 times, you've seen 2 games against Olympiakos and so it's natural to put it down to "Olympiakos were poor". No my friend. Ano would KO them again if they played tomorrow. Yes PAO have a more talented squad, but they have a*****a, and in Cyprus the atmosphere will be very difficult to deal with, as Olympiakos found out. Of course A.Madrid or Fiorentina would have been worse, but Cluj, Aalborg, and Bate are not as good as Anorthosis, while Shakter would have been an easier draw simply because it wouldnt have that derby atmosphere. Trust me, drawing Anorthosis is like walking a mine field. And being "sure" we'll win in Cyprus is simply a case of ignorance.

I agree with this post 100%. It's beyond me how someone can be excited about drawing Ano, when they just KO'd Olympiakos and when their fellow Cypriots just KO'd AEK. Cypriot football is not a joke. Relative to size, they are amazing.

Anorthosis are just happy to be in the CL, so if the team loses to Weder at home, the players will be off the mind-set: "oh well, these things happen. We played a big club and lost". But when PAO arrive, a derby-like atmosphere will exist.

Game 1: Inter seems unstopable on paper and it's good to have them at home right off the bat. If we lose, it would be expected. If we tie or win it will be a huge boost to the morale. Having them at home gives us a slight hope of recording a huge win. Let's hope we are ready. Worst case scenario, we lose by three or more. It could demoralize us. Capacity crowd will be going nuts.

Game 2: Anorthosis has a good team, but HTC is no Valverde. We'll go for the result and we'll take it. Capacity crowd will go crazy there, but I think we'll pull off a win, even if it's not a pretty one. No matter what happens in the first game, this is the perfect game #2 away. We have excellent chances of recovering from a bad result in game one, or to pull ahead of the group.

Game 3: Pao-Werder. German teams seem to be good customers, so I hope we can pull another win. It won't be easy, but at home with the crowd behind them, Pao lads have a second chance to make history. Best case scenario: this could be the third win in a row. Worst case scenario: we lose by three or more that could put as

Game 3: Pao-Werder. German teams seem to be good customers, so I hope we can pull another win. It won't be easy, but at home with the crowd behind them, Pao lads have a second chance to make history. Best case scenario: this could be the third win in a row. Worst case scenario: we lose by three or more that could put as

WOW!!!!! What an easy draw. Obviously 1st place will go to Inter and second place will be up for grabs but i can see PAO getting it. I have to agree with evalagoal that any other spot will be a dissapointment!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU GUYS!

I'm really shocked that so many people are undermining Anorthosis. This is farrrr from being an easy draw.

Anorthosis embarassed Olympiakos. Omonoia were better than AEK in Greece and outplayed them in Cyprus, and APOEL just scored 3 goals away to Red Star Belgrade with 10 men, to qualify. Cypriot football is on the rise and these teams would do serious damage in the Greek league. They'd all challenge for a CL spot (certainly Ano and Omonoia would). It's a major positive that PAO drew Inter instead of an English team, the Italians are still the favs for the group. Weder will be very tough and they get goals for fun. Add all the ingredients together and a you have a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying PAO won't qualify, but there's no way anyone can call this an easy draw, and underestimating Ano will only lead to a beating of major proportions.

I'm really shocked that so many people are undermining Anorthosis. This is farrrr from being an easy draw.

Anorthosis embarassed Olympiakos. Omonoia were better than AEK in Greece and outplayed them in Cyprus, and APOEL just scored 3 goals away to Red Star Belgrade with 10 men, to qualify. Cypriot football is on the rise and these teams would do serious damage in the Greek league. They'd all challenge for a CL spot (certainly Ano and Omonoia would). It's a major positive that PAO drew Inter instead of an English team, the Italians are still the favs for the group. Weder will be very tough and they get goals for fun. Add all the ingredients together and a you have a recipe for disaster. I'm not saying PAO won't qualify, but there's no way anyone can call this an easy draw, and underestimating Ano will only lead to a beating of major proportions.

you're right, which is why PAO shouldnt & wont take their opponents from Cyprus for granted. Therefore getting the result they need

no games in CL are easy. this group is a great one, because look at how awful it could have been. It could have been Man U, Bayern , PAO and Atletico.

But face it. Anorthosis is a much preferable opponent than Atletico, Shaxtar, Fiorentina, etc...Thats simple TRUTH, Ano's teamwork and heart can only get them so far before quality becomes an issue. Ano, had their glory. I hope they go through with PAO, but lets be honest. If they can just stay in Europe, it will be a major accomplishment AGAIN.

Ano ARE VERY beatable by this PAO.

Dont let 2 lucky resutls tell you otherwise. Omonoia deserved nothning first leg, and they will crash and burn later.....

APOEL and Red Star have nothing to do with it...

As for Cyp on the rise, well see. Greek teams had much bigger sucess in UEFA last year taking out Zaragoza, Sochaux, and Blackburn, and you wouldnt have said that about the GR?

Anorthosis is the strongest in CYP. Omonoia were lucky, and AEK were poor. APOEL played a rubbish team anyways. Anorthosis did get a great result and fought and I am proud, but to be fair, OSFP were still capable of winning that tie. PAO, is more orgnaized than OSFP, and dont have the idiot Valverde. HTC will take the game seriously and be going for points. Im sorry theres no doubts whos still the favourite to win PAO vs Anorthosis. I am an Ano fan, but beating OSFP in europe...is not really a major accomplshment that makes you a top team in europe all of a sudden.

atmosphere is a load of BS lets be honest. PAO plays in way tougher places than anorthosis who lets be honest do not have that amazing an atmosphere, its the football thats their strength. OSFP was not brilliant, but its not like they werent close at all. 1 eustoxo penalty and the tie would have been differnet. Maybe even the first leg would finish only 2-1. You dont know. Ano did great, but its not like they handed over a football lesson. I think PAO should beat Anorthosis, because we DO have awareness, more quality, and good coaching. Even the most honest OSFP fans will admit Valverde knew anythinga bout his players the tie coudl have been way different. I was jumping with joy when Ano did it, but, football wise, they couldnt last past 70 mins (PAO does pressure better than this OSFP too) and Dudu is no Gilberto.

Theres NO way Shaxtar would be an easier draw. They have a much tougher atmosphere than Cyprus, quality players and theyd see PAO as the ideal opportunity of the group to snatch points.

Football wise, I do prefer Anorthosis over Cluj, who is the Romanaian Champ and has some good players.

Being sure of beating even BATE Borisov is ingornace. No CL games are sure. PAO are the bigger team, more exp in Europe and favourites. I do expect my team to come through, with no excuses.

Guest TheLegend

pao wont lose to anorthosis.

they were riding some huge luck to even score against olympiacos and to not get scored on 5-6 times over the 2 games..

you honestly think they can ride this luck into the group stages?

Guest TheLegend

anorthosis' huge luck played a role in them lasting 2 games under constant pressure with minimal possesion but only conceding one goal with the post having a say in that and only scoring 2.

I wouldnt say they are that great of a team especially with their retarted fans who came to karaiskaki and provoke fights and then cried after.

I was there first hand. They provoked it.

no games in CL are easy. this group is a great one, because look at how awful it could have been. It could have been Man U, Bayern , PAO and Atletico.

But face it. Anorthosis is a much preferable opponent than Atletico, Shaxtar, Fiorentina, etc...Thats simple TRUTH, Ano's teamwork and heart can only get them so far before quality becomes an issue. Ano, had their glory. I hope they go through with PAO, but lets be honest. If they can just stay in Europe, it will be a major accomplishment AGAIN.

Dont let 2 lucky resutls tell you otherwise. Omonoia deserved nothning first leg, and they will crash and burn later.....

As for Cyp on the rise, well see. Greek teams had much bigger sucess in UEFA last year taking out Zaragoza, Sochaux, and Blackburn, and you wouldnt have said that about the GR?

Anorthosis is the strongest in CYP. Omonoia were lucky, and AEK were poor. APOEL played a rubbish team anyways. Anorthosis did get a great result and fought and I am proud, but to be fair, OSFP were still capable of winning that tie. PAO, is more orgnaized than OSFP, and dont have the idiot Valverde. HTC will take the game seriously and be going for points. Im sorry theres no doubts whos still the favourite to win PAO vs Anorthosis. I am an Ano fan, but beating OSFP in europe...is not really a major accomplshment that makes you a top team in europe all of a sudden.

File I have no doubt that the draw could have been worse, but calling this a great draw is stretching it. It's debatable whether it there's such a big difference between Man Utd or Inter. Away to either of these teams is almost certainly a defeat for PAO. Realistically, a draw is the best we can hope for at home.

Weder Bremen are a good team that get goals and the last time PAO played them they scored 5, so it's clear that they are dangerous. Whether PAO drew them, or Roma, or Villareal, is there really a big difference?

In pot 4, it could have been worse, but the difficulty of Ano is higher for PAO than it is for Weder. I'm not suggesting that Ano is a world class team. But there is going to be a "derby" feel to this game. Especially for the Cypriots who will be playing a team that they consider to be from the motherland. It's like Tottenham vs Arsenal... for years Tottenham was ena bourdello kai miso, and so they wouldn't trouble teams like Man Utd who would always get 6 points against them over the course of the season. When they played Arsenal however they raised their game. They gave absolutely everything against Arsenal and would cost them a couple of points. Over the course of a 38 game season Arsenal may have missed out on the title by 2 points and as such the Tottenham game proved to be their undoing. Imagine what affect that sort of thing would have in a 6 game group stage!

Olympiakos showed nothing to suggest they could have won yesterday. Even when Anorthosis could barely walk (they've had a tough fixture schedule lately including a game against arch-rivals APOEL a few days before the trip to the Karaiskaki), Olympiakos barely threatened. Shooting 15 shots from 30+ yards is not exactly an indication that "OSFP were entirely capable of winning the tie". There's no doubt that Ano are the weakest team in this group, but they are better than teams like Larissa, PAOK and even Aris. Add that to the motivation of playing a Greek team and the game away is a potential mine-field. That motivation won't exist against Weder or Inter, Ano will just want to enjoy the experience, so if they lose, they lose.

As for this:

Omonoia were lucky, and AEK were poor. APOEL played a rubbish team anyways.[/quote]

Ela re... min les vlakies. How were Omonoia lucky? They won 0-1 in Athens and hit the bar. In Cyprus they finished the game when they went 2-1 up. They also hit the bar before that. Omonoia were the better side in Athens and in Cyprus they outplayed AEK. APOEL came back from behind, in a hostile Serbian atmosphere when down to ten men! Are you 100% sure that Olympiakos or PAO would manage that? It took Olympiakos a decade to win away from home! So saying that Oly were poor and AEK were poor, and Red Star are rubbish, is a cheap excuse. I'm not saying the Cypriot teams are Serie A teams, but they are perfectly capable of getting a result against anyone at home. They've proved that over the years against teams like Sparta Prague, Trabzonspor, Rangers (the 1st time), Rapid Vienna, AEK, etc. And the national team have gotten results against Germany, Spain, etc. Cypriot teams are good at home and underestimating them would be a grave mistake.

As for the atmosphere... Omonoia are probably the only Cypriot team that create an atmopshere that's on a par with the big Greek teams. AEL and Apollona have great fans too, but there isn't enough of them to generate such an amazing spectacle. But Anorthosis had a great atmosphere against Olympiakos so they are more than capable of creating an atmosphere that is very difficult to play in.

I'm telling you guys, the game in Cyprus is 50-50, and this group is so tight among the top 3 that a slip up in Cyprus might be enough to deny PAO. This is the reason this is a tough draw for PAO.

One negative is that that if Ano is to upset ay team it is likely PAO because of the familiarity of Cypriot teams with their Greek counterparts

That's exactly my point. I'm not saying PAO isn't good enough to beat Ano. What I'm saying is that IF Ano will take points off of anyone, it will most likely be PAO. Which is why I'm gutted about this draw, because I don't think either one will qualify. :(

this is a bad draw for Greek football!! Anorthosis having nothing to lose they are heavy underdogs here!! Good luck playing in Cyprus bad bad draw and to Steve you have no clue about Cypriot soccer with ur ignorant comments hard core hooligans like the reds had yesterday class less !! The greens have a good team and maybe anorthosis will help them advance but they will play with nothing to lose and that is dangerous the gsp will be rocking just like it was today!!

File I have no doubt that the draw could have been worse, but calling this a great draw is stretching it. It's debatable whether it there's such a big difference between Man Utd or Inter. Away to either of these teams is almost certainly a defeat for PAO. Realistically, a draw is the best we can hope for at home.

Weder Bremen are a good team that get goals and the last time PAO played them they scored 5, so it's clear that they are dangerous. Whether PAO drew them, or Roma, or Villareal, is there really a big difference?

In pot 4, it could have been worse, but the difficulty of Ano is higher for PAO than it is for Weder. I'm not suggesting that Ano is a world class team. But there is going to be a "derby" feel to this game. Especially for the Cypriots who will be playing a team that they consider to be from the motherland. It's like Tottenham vs Arsenal... for years Tottenham was ena bourdello kai miso, and so they wouldn't trouble teams like Man Utd who would always get 6 points against them over the course of the season. When they played Arsenal however they raised their game. They gave absolutely everything against Arsenal and would cost them a couple of points. Over the course of a 38 game season Arsenal may have missed out on the title by 2 points and as such the Tottenham game proved to be their undoing. Imagine what affect that sort of thing would have in a 6 game group stage!

Olympiakos showed nothing to suggest they could have won yesterday. Even when Anorthosis could barely walk (they've had a tough fixture schedule lately including a game against arch-rivals APOEL a few days before the trip to the Karaiskaki), Olympiakos barely threatened. Shooting 15 shots from 30+ yards is not exactly an indication that "OSFP were entirely capable of winning the tie". There's no doubt that Ano are the weakest team in this group, but they are better than teams like Larissa, PAOK and even Aris. Add that to the motivation of playing a Greek team and the game away is a potential mine-field. That motivation won't exist against Weder or Inter, Ano will just want to enjoy the experience, so if they lose, they lose.

As for this:

Omonoia were lucky, and AEK were poor. APOEL played a rubbish team anyways.[/quote]

Ela re... min les vlakies. How were Omonoia lucky? They won 0-1 in Athens and hit the bar. In Cyprus they finished the game when they went 2-1 up. They also hit the bar before that. Omonoia were the better side in Athens and in Cyprus they outplayed AEK. APOEL came back from behind, in a hostile Serbian atmosphere when down to ten men! Are you 100% sure that Olympiakos or PAO would manage that? It took Olympiakos a decade to win away from home! So saying that Oly were poor and AEK were poor, and Red Star are rubbish, is a cheap excuse. I'm not saying the Cypriot teams are Serie A teams, but they are perfectly capable of getting a result against anyone at home. They've proved that over the years against teams like Sparta Prague, Trabzonspor, Rangers (the 1st time), Rapid Vienna, AEK, etc. And the national team have gotten results against Germany, Spain, etc. Cypriot teams are good at home and underestimating them would be a grave mistake.

As for the atmosphere... Omonoia are probably the only Cypriot team that create an atmopshere that's on a par with the big Greek teams. AEL and Apollona have great fans too, but there isn't enough of them to generate such an amazing spectacle. But Anorthosis had a great atmosphere against Olympiakos so they are more than capable of creating an atmosphere that is very difficult to play in.

I'm telling you guys, the game in Cyprus is 50-50, and this group is so tight among the top 3 that a slip up in Cyprus might be enough to deny PAO. This is the reason this is a tough draw for PAO.

I guess u forgot apoel by far the best kerkida in Cyprus!!

As for this:

I guess u forgot apoel by far the best kerkida in Cyprus!!

Re an iprxan peristoterous MAXITEC den tous epiane kanenas! :P

i agree with Dude that this is a tough draw. Its by far not the hardest but it wont be a walk in the park.

The one thign that i think favors pao is the schedul.

It is very important that we play Inter at home first. At home, against italian teams have been fruitful for pao in the past.

The first match will help twist out the fate of the group. With pao playing at home againstInter, should we win... it will make Inter fight til the end of the group stage. Starting off with a win might make our success in the group easier. We have three points and the next two games are In Anorthosis and at home to werder.

I have nothign agaisnt Anorthosis but PAO SHOULD get a t least a draw in this game. I dont see Anorthosis scoring 3. We have learned our lesson from Olys misery and i believe that the first 15 to 20 minutes will be hyper defensive for pao. we will hold off the initial pressure and play on the counter.

We beat Werder at home 3 years ago, 2-1.. should of been 5-1 and that was with Torghelle, Haralambidis and Wooter in our lineup. As for CB, that game was Kotsios and Goumas and Morris.

Im not saying it will happen but we might be looking at anywhere betwen 5 to 9 points in the first 3 games. if thats the case... all we need is to beat anorthosi at home in the final matchday and pray for a draw in one of our away games. Now maybe it was Uefa but Pao has only 2 defeats in the last two years in europe in 16 games.

I know its not the way to look at things but i have to say, i was happy to avoid the Man u/Villareal, Chelsea/Roma and Real/Juve groups.

Im sorry to be excited. i agree with dude but im a bit more optimistic.

Archived