Phantis Forums

Luxembourg - Greece

loup

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

re wtf happened, did he miss?? what is going on. Supersport commentators do have a nasty habit of screaming GOAL every shot to follow up with ekpliktiko goal re thats just unprofessional. i think i will have to make my own commentary for the future games

:blink:

the commentators didnt say that for Katsouranis shot. And the game was not on Supersport it was Mega...

All I can say is the same thing you guys have been saying. Theres not much to talk about other than otto's lame decsions. Not only was his starting 11 stupied, but his subs were dumb too in my opinion dont you thinK? Why bring in Patsa on top of all the other crap?

This was a perfect game to use ninis, papathathopoulos and whoever else

Nice!

Was planning on going to see the game in Luxembourg but my gf's birthday is today so I ended up not even watching it.

Good to see we got the goals, the points and an away win as a first game. Hope to see some more younger, new players in there but I guess that's wishfull thinking for now...

Anyway,

:tup: :gr: :tup:

Greece make solid start in Luxembourg

Greece made a comfortable start to their FIFA World Cup qualifying bid with a Group 2 victory in Luxembourg.

Points secure

Vassilis Torosidis and Fanis Gekas found the target late in the first half before a 77th-minute Angelos Charisteas penalty wrapped up the points for Otto Rehhagel's side. They continue their attempt to repeat their sole World Cup qualification of 1994 when they visit Latvia on Wednesday; Luxembourg travel to Switzerland.

Full article on UEFA.com

So what we won against Lux. No Big deal. It took the team over 1/2 hour to break in Lux's side! Pathetic play other than the Torosidis goal that stood out. Other than that boring. What's the point of Otto calling Ninis, Pliatsikas or Papastathopoulos? It's beyond my understanding to not play them at least this game instead of having them sitting on their butts keeping the bench warm. When are they supposed to play when they reach the age of 30?

patsa subbed for Lyb? Basinas subbed for Salpiggidis? Ridiculous!!!

My feeling is that even if we make it to WC2010 like we did with euro08 on top of the group and with the most points, we will crash like in euro 08. The same old guard and I'm sick of watching it.

:tdown:

I have to agree with chameleon65. I don't see the point in getting worked up and excited if the team is just going to advance only to get their butts kicked like they did in '94. Against teams like this you have to play the up and coming guys. Oh my god I've had enough!

:blink:

the commentators didnt say that for Katsouranis shot. And the game was not on Supersport it was Mega...

re file i decided not to pay 10 bucks NZ for the game and woke up at the start of the 2nd half and listened to the game on supersport radio....those comentators are going to give some one a heart attack one day!!!!!

3points is 3 points and a favourable draw between our rivals in the group however, i am upset and just dissapointed that the youth potential of our great nation is being overlooked by this stubburn German....we all know whats going to happen next

i hope we take the 3 points from latvia and at least create a cushion of points and stay at the top spot!!!

im not following Greece until Otto steps down.

We will qualify and then get embarressed in SA

We should get Anastasiadis from Cyprus he gace the Italians a lot of troble last nite and the coach we need to start a fresh.

Germans i know are open to new things how come Otto is not like that :P

Was planning on going to see the game in Luxembourg but my gf's birthday is today so I ended up not even watching it.

whipppppeddd :LOL: :P

no but seriously there were a lot of Greeks in the stadium! It looked like more or just as much Greeks as Luxemburgers! At least the fans in that part of europe had some fun. Wasnt too exciting to watch from tv though.

PAO OR DEATH:

I forgot that maybe you were listening from radio and not tv :la:

im not following Greece until Otto steps down.

We will qualify and then get embarressed in SA

We should get Anastasiadis from Cyprus he gace the Italians a lot of troble last nite and the coach we need to start a fresh.

Germans i know are open to new things how come Otto is not like that :P

no we really dont need Anastasiadis. He wont do much better. One of the last people we need is him. Id prefer a younger coach like a Donis, or even a Ketsbaia, would be great (for a newer generation).

Ketsbaya is young, but hes smart, and he motivates. What he has done with Ano really is a miracle, and not to mention the guy was a great player, and very familiar with Greece/Greek League as well as Cyprus, and he speaks Greek. IMO, Id love to see him get a chance at building something new with the Ethniki.

Advocaat or Hiddink...yeah obviously, but Im going to assume we wont get those coaches or even have a hope of doing so. :(

no win situation....lux a little better than top college team.....

i dont get it...in two years, the old guard will be useless....is otto even considering weaving in the younger group? or is he more concerned about qualification?

i for one would not mind losing a few games at teh expense of giving the younger gen experience....i think if he simply came out and said it, ie "we are going with youth and that may cuase some qualification problems" - everyone would at least understand the big picture....

but..........lux/mold/lat/ etc? PERFECT TIME to put in the young guys....u up 2-0, put then in the second half, or alt least one of them...

Where do I start? It was a comfortable win against an abysmal team. 3-0 is unacceptable though. Haristeas did very well and Kyrgiakos was solid as always. Apart from that, what did we see? Karagounis looking for a long ball everytime he got possession, Lybe was non-existent, etc. This simply isn't good enough!!!

I'm one of the few on here not demanding wholesale changes, that would be a recipe for disaster. But there are logical changes that MUST be made. We all talk about the balance of the team, about youth, etc. What this team lacks more than anything else is the ability to play at a higher tempo. As a team, they are simply too slow. Players like Seitaridis, Katsouranis, Lybe, Dellas play without any urgency. Everything is slow and monotonous. We don't have the most creative players in the world, but that's not such a big deal. Take out Ballack and neither to the Germans. The point is, tempo and fitness is a huge advantage in modern-day football. Look at Bolton KOing A.Madrid, Rangers making it to the Uefa Cup final, Greece winning Euro 2004, Scotland beating France twice in qualifying for Euro 2008, etc. These are all examples of high-tempo, good movement and great organization bringing success. Because of this we need experience to be balanced with youth. Work-rate with organization, etc. The game against Latvia away is tricky so I don't want to see too many changes. I'd like to see the same formation for the time being, with this starting line-up:

-----------------------------------------Chalkias---------------------------------------------

Torosidis------------Papastathopoulos----------------Kyrgiakos------------Spyropoulos

----------------------Ninis---------------Basinas--------Karagounis------------------------

Haristeas--------------------------------Gekas------------------------------------Samaras

Now before I start hearing the "Haristeas can't play on the right"and "Chalkias is crap", fundamentally I agree with you. But the Latvia game is in a couple of days and wholesale changes can't be made. For the next match day, I'd like to see a 3-5-2:

-------------------------------------Kotsolis/Tzorvas----------------------------------------

----------------------Seitaridis----Papastathopoulos----Kyrgiakos------------------------

Torosidis------------Ninis------------Basinas------------Karagounis--------Spyropoulos

------------------------Samaras---------------------Gekas---------------------------------

If Samaras falls back into old habits of playing at a low, lazy tempo, then Haristeas should come back in to the team.

Whenever the situation permits players like Pliatsikas, Mitroglou and Makos should be used to develop them.

We all know that anything remotely close to this will not happen, so if/when we fail and Otto does leave, then both Anastasiadis and Ketsbaia would be fantastic choices. I have to say though that I doubt Anastasiadis would take the job at the moment. Cyprus may be on the verge of acheiving great things if they manage to qualify, and given the relative weakness of the group, that's a possibility. And so I doubt he'd leave right now. Ketsbaia on the other hand has acheived his dream of getting Ano to the CL so I'm sure he would take the job. He's tactically aware, passionate, demands perfection and a high work rate. He'd be perfect!

Good points ---- i was amazed at how poor Katsouranis and Dellas pass the ball as of late, one of them must sit for a while at least.

Basinas injury -- how serious - if he is out is there any chance that Patsa will not be the replacement?

I believe vs weaker opponents we have to have Toro,Giourka,and Spyropoulos on the field.

Giourkas was our best player in the 1st half with at least 3 good runs and crosses...2 of which the human state Lybe did not touch.

Dellas is done internationally,same goes for Basinas,Katsouranis is teatering on the cliff as well ti epath aftos????

Charistea should be our target man..his work rate is awesome the kid does not stop

Latvia

Chalkias

Giourkas..Della...Soto..Spyropoulos

Toro..Kats...Karagounis

Charisteas..Geklas...Samaras

This is if Basinas cannot go...and I hope Otto saw that Lybe is done.

Archived