Phantis Forums

PANATHINAIKOS NEWS, 2008-09 season

Grk101

OK, he sees things differently. I disagree respectufully.

Vyntra has been a liability, has improved lately, but still he isn't my choice. Maybe he's been playing because PAO never got a great player for that position. Plus, he must have pictures/videos/incriminating evidence for all the PAO management! :LOL: :LOL: [that would explain a lot of things]

Ninis? Well, he's now 18, and unless he's doing something we don't know [cruising at night, getting drunk, screwing around during practice, whatever], then he's old enough to NOT BE PROTECTED MORE THAN ANY OTHER PLAYER.

My goodness what kind of statement is this:

This is interesting and it gives us a little insight into the inner workings (or not) of the team. I sounds like they "think" he is not a back, which would mean that they did not know what they were buying. Anyway, the management is new too so they are bound to mess up here and there.

I have read the "need to protect Ninis" line by many in the technical team in the past two years and I suspect that they are seeing trends that make them think "protect the kid" above all.

... and the cherry on top:

Are you kidding me? I hope he is saying this to boost morale of the existing players who have to pull the oars until December. That we need a CB is known even by plankton by now, and he is right that we need to buy a better one that those we have.

I don't think that's what he's implying. I think he accepts that Gabriel is a right back, but one that has a Brazilian football philosophy. In other words he overlooks his defensive responsibilites and he needs to adapt to European football. He just needs time, which is probably accurate.

I also think that he is indeed just saying what he's saying about the defence not to undermine the current crop. Either that or he's gone mad!

Athinaios I agree with you 100% If Ninis can perform he should play. However I think there is something more that we are unaware of. Maybe he's unfit or messing around in training, etc.

• 3 months later...

Reports today indicate that Cleyton was 10 mintues late for practice and Ten Cate told him to buzz-off.

Cleyton is a skilled player, but he seems to have issues with practice. I read before that he is habitually late to the training ground and that he enjoys the night life a little too much.

Also, it was confirmed today that Goumas will be out for about three weeks. It's funny that now I am praying Vintra plays CB instead of Melissis :blink:

• 4 weeks later...

Today it was announced that Velic is gone. As a manager and scouter he was responsible for some of the transfers and the roster for the last several years.

I am not sad to see him go. A few others need to be shown the door too.

Some movement on several fronts gives some hope for the future, but there is no hiding the fact that they messed up both these last transfer windows. In a few months no one will remember that Velic was ever part of the team.

Velic gone does not help unless they can hire a competent manager in his place to handle negotiations and transfers. Someone who can be an Associate Manager with responsibility in transfers. This would release Antoniou to only deal with the football operations, because he seems to be out of his depth in the foreign market.

In other news, Vgenopoulos said he will become a member of the board in the summer. It was silly that he created this whole fracas to create an open board and then he said he didn't have time to be really involved. He never covered the spread to reach the 80m target of shares either (which the media burried), but somehow he seems like the only one who has the skill to get things done and being more involved with the team would help.

Too bad they could not give the team an extra boost now to fight for the CL 8. Having the chance doesn't happen very often, and I hope the existing players can do it. They got us here, but from now on the road is very steep.

Yes, Cyber, I was thinking of the same thing. We have a good(?) chance to advance to the final 8, so this chance should not be wasted. Greek teams rarely get there. Bigger clubs from England, Spain, etc, would kill to be in our position.

I don't have the numbers, but no matter what they would spend in transfers for a couple ready players, all this money could be recovered if PAO advanced to the next stage.

I'm also willing to bet that the money they spent in the summer transfer season has already been recouped by the team being in the CL. Can anyone confirm this? (And, this doesn't count the money we got from selling players.)

You are right Athinaie, they spent about 23 m in transfer fees alone. They made back 20 m from advancing to the CL groups (UEFA bonuses, receipts, etc.) so the summer investment was returned in a short 3-4 month period.

It's one thing for the team to say "we don't have any needs, we believe that our players can take us to the next level", and another to try their best in two transfer periods to sign a CB and a CF and end up with very little in return. In fact, their only success was to to bail out PAOK with all the money they pumped in their account, and now we are looking at their back.

Firing Velic is an admission of failure. Someone had to be the vilain and Velic was the easy target. I don't blame the guy. The club is disorganized at the highest level. Most of us thought that something had changed when Gianakopouloi and Vgenopoulos got involved, but their commitment and influence is questionable. Heck, they never gathered the 80 million shares they were boasting about.

We have two nice games to look forward to and I hope we can pull a miracle. Once the prospect of CL is out of the picture this season will begin looking very grim indeed.

Don't know the details, but I've seen that Greeks don't like to work together within a team, and given that there are big egos involved, I'm sure everyone wants to be the boss, the one that has "ownership" of PAO.

I don't even want to get started. I have no love lost for Giannakopoulos or Pateras.

Too much talk, not much credibility.

Our board has the collective personality of a mayonnaise jar.

I am dejected that they managed to squander an amazing opportunity to celebrate the 100th anniversary of the team. They can't even organize a simple celebration without screwing it up. I hate the idea of watching Olympiakos' fiesta for their anniversary in a few years that will surely put us to shame.

Yes, taking down the championship banners was a stupid as it gets. Come on, get a party going for crying out loud. Get all these legendary players together, bring in a couple of musicians, throw up some fireworks and let the people enjoy themselves. Green fans could pack the OAKA for a party.

Too bad they missed their chance to get something going when Madonna was in town

:P

Man, it's not so hard (even for me) to put together a fiesta that rocks and will be remembered for a very loooong time. Public relations and promoting of the brand means more than selling t-shirt at their stores.

Well, modern teams need to have good scouts, more so for the ones that can't compete with the super rich clubs--that buy anyone they like.

Glad to hear that Rocha, Warzycha (soon), Gmoch, and Saravakos are getting involved. About time the club employed veteran players (and coaches) that carried the PAO flag.

Maybe they can improve on the acquisitions. It's important for us to identify players like Ruka, Simao, and Matos, sign them up before they're discovered by others.

• 2 months later...

Wawrzyniak tested positive in the doping test after the PAO-Xanthi game. :tdown:

I get the feeling we'll be looking at another defender in the summer. Does anyone know what the punishment is going to be if the second sample confirms the initial results?

Archived