Phantis Forums

Greece v. Sweden @ Euro 2008

athinaios

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest geok

According to the news, the Greek national team is focused on the earthquake in Greece, which was 6.5 on the scale, and some of them have relatives in the epicenter area. Definitely not the best for their morale, but with what happened, the Euro is something secondary.

Although I agree with you, I hope that the news are incorrect. There is no point for the players to concentrate on the earthquake as they can't really do nothing. But they can do something tomorrow and that is what they have to focus on.

I don't think it will be bad for morale, besides we would have heard it on the news if there were a relative of the NT who got injured or killed.

Therefore, no problem. In addition, this is an additional incentive to give happiness to Greece by beating Sweden.

Guest geok

Sweden's spy in the Greece camp

Sweden's UEFA EURO 2008™ campaign begins on Tuesday against reigning champions Greece and the challengers for the continental title have something of an inside source.

Inside knowledge

The versatile Mikael Nilsson has just completed his third season with Panathinaikos FC and has six club-mates in the Greece squad together with many of his regular league rivals alongside them. There is little he does not know then about Sweden's first Group D opponents, though he reveals that in any case the coaching team have done their homework. "I know the Greek players very well," Nilsson said. "But I can tell from the team briefings we've had that the Swedish management knows at least as much about the Greek team as I do." And can they retain the title? "I think they're as strong as they were four years ago. Possibly their defence is a little bit weaker, but all in all they look good."

Source and full article at Uefa.com.

I don't think that Nilsson's knowledge will be any use given that his opponents upfront will be mostly be amongst playing abroad. It is not any significant threat. We Greeks follow the team (more passionately) about 6 years now and we don't even know what is going on inside this team. Will Nilsson know? No way.

yeah its just journalistic garbage to be honest....

there are plenty of stupid myths that dont exactly exist in football, such as Nilsson knowing "inside knowledge" having lived in Greece.

Hes never been to an ethniki training camp, and even if he had, he wont be able to help Sweden very much. This is sort of like another popular journalist rubbish is saying "Greece had the element of suprise" in 2004.....

Lol, because Portugal and Spain hadnt played against us before that year (and been seriously warned) and these people do not watch match tapes or scout their opponents before these matches, and that players go into these matches (even against smaller teams) in big tournaments without being wary and focused on playing their best - this is garbage invented by journalists and fans, but has no reality in the football world, much like Nilssons "inside" knowledge.

Rehhagel rallies team for Sweden test

Otto Rehhagel has urged his Greece players to "seize their opportunities" as the European champions begin the defence of their title against Sweden in Salzburg on Tuesday.

Tension mounting

The German coach, known as 'King Otto' in Greece after guiding the side to UEFA EURO 2004™ glory, has been in positive mood before the Group D encounter at the Stadion Salzburg Wals-Siezenheim – where the rest of the competition will be eager to see how the holders shape up. "We have concluded our preparations and the tension is mounting. We are really looking forward to kicking off," the 69-year-old said. "The first couple of matches in the tournament have shown that this will be a great event because the teams appear to be in it with all their hearts."

Source and full article at Uefa.com.

OK! Tomorrow has become today and I'm going to work in blue shirt and navy blue trousers. The game will be played in 12 hours time and I hope our diethneis surprise me - pleasantly - as they did in the last Euro.

Good luck lads! :tup:

den paei upnos apopse....

ELA ELLATHARA...MAKE OUR DAY AND WEEK TOMORROW MORNING!!

GOOD LUCK TO THE STARTING 11, FIGHT LIKE HELLENIC LIONS!!

ADE, TEST OUT THEIR KEEPER FROM THE FIRST MINUTE...SEND IN A DRIVE FROM HALF WAY...MAKE THEM NERVOUS!!!

LOL

Guys it's the game is 5 & and a half hours away and I'm so nervous I'm feeling ill... I've slept a total of 3 hours in the last 48 hours and it's all because of the nerves. I'm leaving uni now to make the LONG journey home because there's no way I can watch the game with my non-Greek friends (most of whom are supporting Sweden because they say they don't like Greece's anti-football!). <_< Bear in mind some of these dudes are Italian :LOL:

Anyway paidia, I hope the next time I speak to you we're all analysing Gekas' hatrick, Haristeas' headed goal and Lybe's wonder-volley in a 5-0 Greece win :P :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

I am very nervous about this one. I try to stay positive, but then I start to think about the many times I've been disapointed, such as Panathinaikos vs. Ajax in 1995 or Greece vs Turkey in Athens.

My main fear is defensively Dellas is weak compared to how he played in 2004. The game has become faster and Dellas has slowed down. Franco Baresi wasn't a big guy, so when he slowed down he could play better as the years went by. My other worry is the midfield, the Greek team brought the fewest number of midfeilders of any team. Three crucial events were responsible for Greece winning 2004:

1. Against Spain when we were on the ropes, the man who single handedly provided a spark to prevent the game from degenerating into a rout and sparked the offense was Zagorakis.

2. We had had a deadball expert like Tsartas who provided the pin-point shot for Charisteas to score against Spain.

3. We had Tsartas' perfect corner against the Czechs.

I love Karagounis, I think he's a great player and in 2000 when he played like crazy against Valencia, I told my sister it's a pity this great player will never play in a final of a major tournament. Having said that, Karagounis isn't a leader in the pitch like Zagorakis was. Games are won and lost in the midfield and if we lose the game in the midfield how are those great forwards we have going to score? Guys, I hate to say this, but I see Sweden winning 2-0 or 1-0. If we can use our strengths and have Kyrgiakos a part of the offense moving forward, if Giourkas can make those darting runs like when he twice took Ronaldo to the cleaners we have hope. One of my main reasons for thinking we'll lose is also that crazy ref who is the worst active ref around. I hope I'm wrong!

A

Archived