Phantis Forums

Greece v. Sweden @ Euro 2008

athinaios

i need a new t.v. guide.

i thought i saw that the 2001 england x greece match would be shown - as it turned out, it was the disaster 2006 summer friendly. i didn't watch it all, i turned the match off after hearing 'god save the queen'. that first 45 minutes is the example of a bad greece, personel-scheme-tactics.

unfortunately, the 2008 greece isn't that far re-moved from that poor greece - if a few players severely dip in form and the scheme collapses by defending too deep, poor spacing between the defenders and the central mids and poor spacing between the central mids in relation to each other - this nightmare can be repeated at the euro.

if you watched the match - i hope you noticed a few things that we've been harping on here.

yes it was under the "england classics"

Its really so incrediblly lame, that they are showing replays of old FRIENDLY games on Fox.....but then again, these people are absolutley hopless when it comes to broadcasting football, selecting matches and perpetuating the American worship of England in football for absolutley no reason.

that match was a september friendly and Antzas had the worst game out of any defender in Greek history.....the whole team was simply horrible -- i have no idea why this friendly is dubbed a classic, other than the FSC people are idiots.

Sometimes I think I should run my own channel, just so things are done RIGHT and not so incredibly lame like this awful canadian run channel out of a garage like fox soccer channel, witht their horribly dull and nobody personalities reporting the news, awful commentators, and studio sound blaringly higher than that of the match....... Even the music for fade in - theme song for the channel is so incredibly dumb....

As for Busacca, never heard about these accusations before.

Honestly why is a ref like that in Euro 2008 - and why did nobody say anythign?

:LOL: Did you happen to catch the "England Classic" vs. Jamaica? The whole think, like you said, is really, really pathetic. I guess it's better than the 3 hour long segments they show on Japanese soccer. LOL.

I think one of the requirements for working at FSC is worshiping David Beckham 5 times a day.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

UEFA.com has daily updates from the camps here is the latest from the ethniki

Nikos Spiropoulos

The only recognised left-back in the squad and a player who has worked his way through the various age groups.

Giorgos Samaras

Asked by the foreign media "how are Greece going to stop Ibrahimović?" Responded with "how are the Swedish going to stop us?"

Sotiris Kyrgiakos

Joined his team-mates in training on Thursday having followed an individual programme the day before because of a groin injury.

Fanis Gekas

He gave Otto Rehhagel quite a scare in training after a tackle but got up without further problem

Kostas Katsouranis

His defensive-midfield role is essential to Otto Rehhagel's plans.

Yiourkas Seitarisis commented after the Norway game that Busacca was using foul language against our players and making fun of our NT's victory in Euro 2004.

Are you serious??? The players and Otto should make remarks about this in the media in the Pre-Match press conference. If the world's eyes are on Busacca, waiting for him to make a mistake, he'll be forced to be extra careful and fair. Saying nothing is like going into a gun fight with only a knife!

Expose this prick to the world and he'll be fair... Alex Fergusen is a master of pressuring referees, Otto should take a page out of his book.

Speaking of Spain...In the "other" game of our group, should we be hoping for a draw, a Spanish win, or a Russian win?

I guess I am more worried about us winning than what happens in the other games.

If we win all our games it won't matter what happens in the other ones, but if we are going to drop points I would like to see all other contests end in a draw.

file geok, the greek journalists nearly always get otto wrong. apart the stikers though this seems fairly reasonable. i still believe otto would favour gekas and amanatidis overlympe and samaras. but then again in the euro he did surprise some with the non-use of stelios and tsiartas and the major role of katsouranis who didnt feature at all in the qualifying.

Yiourkas Seitarisis commented after the Norway game that Busacca was using foul language against our players and making fun of our NT's victory in Euro 2004.

Are you serious??? The players and Otto should make remarks about this in the media in the Pre-Match press conference. If the world's eyes are on Busacca, waiting for him to make a mistake, he'll be forced to be extra careful and fair. Saying nothing is like going into a gun fight with only a knife!

Expose this prick to the world and he'll be fair... Alex Fergusen is a master of pressuring referees, Otto should take a page out of his book.

ti glwssa milouse o m#$%!s???

this is so ludacris that a ref......who wasnt good enough to play pro football himself........ makes fun of the only team in recent years to win a tournament fairly and with HEART.

sounds like his head is so far up his own arse he hasnt seen daylight for years.

GREECE must complain and i think the epo fall out is the best way......but yea thatnks for adding to my stress whoever posted this i am seriously in risk of having a stroke now!!!!

yes it is true, greek players in particular sietaridis made public comment on how bad the ref from norway game treated and apparently abused the Greek players!!!

This is truly a crazy situation...we got so many bad calls that game it wasnt funny...and something like 4-5 yellow cards....

The EPO should formally protest....what are their rights in this situation anyway?

I remember thinking during the game...what the FARK????

SERIOUSLY IF WE GET BAD CALLS....GREEKS SHOULD RIOT.....

Russia's 24 year old striker, Progrebynak, will miss the Euros and be replaced by 21 year old Ivanov.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From euro2008.uefa.com

Set-piece strength

Lars Lagerbäck did give a clue as to what he has had his squad working on when he addressed the media. "Greece are very good at set-pieces," Lagerbäck said. "They have several tall players and have scored many goals through headers. From now, we'll be working on set-pieces and certain facets of our game that we feel will be important against Greece."

Hansson's concern

When Greece won the final four years ago in Portugal, the winning goal was exactly the kind of header that Lagerbäck has taken note of, Angelos Charisteas rising over the home defence to head in a corner for a 1-0 victory. Petter Hansson, likely to partner Olof Mellberg in Sweden's central defence, noted: "They come forward with six or seven players on their set-pieces, which is more than most teams."

otan fane to goal oi swidoi tha to fisane kai den tha krioni...

ti set pieces kai prasina aloga....team that makes fewest mistakes, plays as a TEAM and takes chances will win.....quiet simple...let them practice set piece defending until the cows come home.....

THE TIME HAS COME FELLOW CITIZENS OF THE GLOBE, BRING ON THE SWEDES...ADE RE PALIKARIA!!!!

MIN FOVOSASTE TIPOTAAAAAAAAA!!!! :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr: :gr:

speaking of oficiating, Any one see the 3 hand balls in the box that werent given today??!!! it happened in both games. Actually im not 100% if all three were in the box but i remember 2 definate penalties were not given!!! one when the turks were down 1-0 i think it was maniche or nunez in the box and one near the end of the swizz czech game

speaking of oficiating, Any one see the 3 hand balls in the box that werent given today??!!! it happened in both games. Actually im not 100% if all three were in the box but i remember 2 definate penalties were not given!!! one when the turks were down 1-0 i think it was maniche or nunez in the box and one near the end of the swizz czech game

Fellas lets get over the bad officiating.... We're constantly complaining about the Super League and now we're going to complain about the EURO?? Cmon..

There are bad referees all over..

What matters is that the ball NEVER GOT IN THE BACK OF THE NET..

That's soccer..

Something that caught my eye when I was checking the bwin site ---- salpigidis is the 2nd favourite to score for the ethniki - after gekas,

I think most of us would have him much lower - I would have guessed Gekas, Amantidis Charisteas Lybe Samaras and Karagounis (not in that order) would be favoured above him, and probably Basinas since he is the most likely to take a PK

Now if some writer wrote an article that said Salpigidis was a favourtie to score, I would say that that writer didn't do their homework

But the odds are based on $ bet -- so I'm a little confused

I wonder if the bookies know somehting we dont about Otto's "surprise"

Guest geok

btw -- we officially underdogs

2:45 PM

Greece 2.80

X 3.10

Sweden 2.50

That is great news for us actually, the bookies got it wrong!

First, they put the highest return in the most likely outcome (draw). But because both teams will fight for a win and with Greece having the edge in my opinion, this is definitely a messup from the bookies.

I'll bet on these odds, I hope you all do too and win.

btw -- we officially underdogs

2:45 PM

Greece 2.80

X 3.10

Sweden 2.50

That is great news for us actually, the bookies got it wrong!

First, they put the highest return in the most likely outcome (draw). But because both teams will fight for a win and with Greece having the edge in my opinion, this is definitely a messup from the bookies.

I'll bet on these odds, I hope you all do too and win.

well i will be cheering for a "1" not a "X"

personally i like the idea of betting against your own team.

This way they win, think of it like you paid a bit to make sure your team wins.

If they lose, you at least won some extra money.

Apparently Gekas hit 3 in the training game today

I don't know what is going to happen, I can't see Otto sticking with the 4-3-3 in this tourney with the same players- just a hunch, but I have a feeling somebody's role is going to change

Apparently Gekas hit 3 in the training game today

Thats what I like to hear. Right before crunch time gekas is getting in the zone.

I was having some thoughts about salpi. Do you guys think that bwin thinks he is a winger still? And he is likly to start on the wing because greece has no other wingers. The other day i was thinking about this but couldnt really think of a formation that could work. Is there a way we could play with salpi on the wing in a 4-4-2? I remeber salpi as a winger and i think he would do way better there. Since he has horrible finishing, do you think otto is thinking of using salpi in the mid as a winger?

Possible formation

Yourkas---x---x----syrpopoulos

Toro---x----x------salpigidis

I really think were wasting toro when we use him on the left and it would be stupied to leave out seiteridis out. I dunno, just a thought. Does it sound realistic? I dont think otto will do this. Weve had taht same 4-3-3 formation for like 3 years now. What makes me think otto will change it now? :blink:

According to the news, the Greek national team is focused on the earthquake in Greece, which was 6.5 on the scale, and some of them have relatives in the epicenter area. Definitely not the best for their morale, but with what happened, the Euro is something secondary.

Sweden's spy in the Greece camp

Sweden's UEFA EURO 2008™ campaign begins on Tuesday against reigning champions Greece and the challengers for the continental title have something of an inside source.

Inside knowledge

The versatile Mikael Nilsson has just completed his third season with Panathinaikos FC and has six club-mates in the Greece squad together with many of his regular league rivals alongside them. There is little he does not know then about Sweden's first Group D opponents, though he reveals that in any case the coaching team have done their homework. "I know the Greek players very well," Nilsson said. "But I can tell from the team briefings we've had that the Swedish management knows at least as much about the Greek team as I do." And can they retain the title? "I think they're as strong as they were four years ago. Possibly their defence is a little bit weaker, but all in all they look good."

Source and full article at Uefa.com.

Archived