Phantis Forums

Is Asteras for real?

AEK-MTL

In theory, your "theory" sounds good. In practice we see several things. First and foremost, larisa was done in by some horrendous officiating earlier in the year. they dropped at least six points, if not more, as a result. So despite their UEFA obligations, they still should have been sitting pretty this year in the league table BUT FOR the officiating. Panionios dropped countless points as a result of some horrendous play by their starting CB's. Again, maybe the schedule led to some dropped points, but the largest share of blame goes to their CB's.

Additionally, ALL Greek teams drop points when engaged in Euro competitions. Its not something unique to mid level clubs like Panionios and Larisa. Oly lost points due to their Euor obligations also. So as we can see, its not something unique to only mikromesaia teams.

You also mentioned that Asteras needs reinforcements to go past the UEFA 32. Maybe. But since when did I make that an issue and when has finishing in the SL Top 5 necessarily equated to going past the UEFA 32? You seem hell bent on establishing some dependent relationship between a top 5 SL finish and advancing past the UEFA 32. There isn't. They're mutually exclusive.

Once again, my proposition several months ago was that Asteras is a top 5 SL team. With over 80 percent of the season already having been played and only 5 games remaining, I think even the most ardent anti Asteras critic would be hardpressed to say that a case can't be made for Asteras being a top 5 SL team. Unless Asteras completely falls flat on their face, they will at least challenge for a top 5 spot in the last few weeks of the season.

p.s keep in mind that asteras also lost many seemingly "unexplained" points right after the mid year break. Very peculiar. But the Tripoli side seems to have righted the ship.

p.s.s. As for goals scored, you only need ONE to win. PAOK-Asteras 0-1.

Archived