Phantis Forums

Greek National Team Formation

AEK-MTL

So now that we've completed the qualifying phase and Greece has successfully made it to the finals, we can assess the team as a whole and more precisely, the formation(s) to be used at Euro 2008. So far, we've seen the 4-3-3 really emerge as Otto's favourite and for the most part, it has produced quite a bit of offense and generally more open play. However, from the qualifying games that I watched (Hungary, Moldova, Turkey, and Malta), we seemed to give up HUGE opportunities to the opposing team. You didn't see these kinds of chances given up during the 2004 tournament (maybe on occasion but in general, things were a lot tighter defensively). I remember during this campaign, watching time and again these teams get crazy chances against us and just barely fail to capitalize; chances that could have swung the game in their momentum. Question: Is this because of the more open 4-3-3 system or is it simply sloppy play by our midfield and defense?

Will Otto stick with a 4-3-3 against any and all opponents or will he modify the formation to counter specific teams? Because let me tell you, the kind of chances we were copping would kill us against an Italy or France.

i was highly skeptical of the 4-3-3. i have to say its probably our best bet. especially if we play it like we did in turkey. so, yes aek66 and otto convinced on that one. it simply comes down to a matter of fielding the best eleven. i am just wondering how to fit torsidis into the mf to have spyropoulos and giourkas on the wings...difficult.

Archived