Phantis Forums

If Greece beats Hungary...

plato-ny

So no matter what the outcome of the England - Croatia game, (even a draw) we still land in pot 1? That's good news ! :tup:

Yes but if we are to win this we have to play an impassioned game, we can't approach this in the way we did Malta (in 2nd gear) because we won't win!

This should be approached in the same vain as the Turkey game because alot's as stake.

Agree with you aek66. It is absolutely essential that Greece qualifies for WC2010 if we truly want to be taken seriously as a footballing nation (although another Euro win wouldn't hurt :P ). I think Greece will get the 1-0 win over Hungary and England will get the job done against Croatia.

It is true that our destiny relies totally on us. All the results we got last Saturday were helpful in pushing us up in the Fifa Ranking. Now we only need a victory against Hungary and we are ninth in Europe, thus in the first pot!!!

News in the media say that there will be changes in the team. This will be useful because of some injuries and because some players need to prove that they deserve to be called in the national team.

Tomorrow it will be Chalkias under the goalpost. If you have observed, Chalkias plays all the difficult games whereas Nikopolidis plays the "easier" ones. That is a good strategy by Otto, to have both goalkeepers ready but also to give the future goalkeeper exposure to the demanding games he will have to face anyway. That is a top class coaching and team management. Well done Otto!

In defense, it is almost certain that we will see Spyropoulos there. We will also see Kapsis and this is one opportunity for Kapsis to prove that he has a place in the squad. If he fails, I think Otto will axe him (well, he has to, because he can only take 23 players into Euro, including 3 goalkeepers!).

I hear that Patsatzoglou may not play and that will be a problem for Otto. Personally (and many of you may disagree), I think Patsa is an average player; although the media has tried to elevate him into the position of a great talent with a great future, I don't see that from his performances so far. Maybe he improves in the future, I don't know, but he is just an average player for me (by watching the Malta game and the games of Olympiakos against Real-2 important international games). Instead I see that Pantos has the passion and spirit there and honestly I would like to have him in the bench if I were a coach because I would be sure that this player would go in and give his 110% for the team. Anyway, Patsa needs to improve.

In the middlefield we will see Basinas, Katsouranis and Karagounis (or if the latter has problems, we will see Tziolis). It is important for Otto to have some more players for middlefield positions because I think we don't have enough there.

As for the strikers, I don't worry, we have plenty of solutions there!

Hungary will play fiercely because they wish to win for prestige. And they are capable of a suprize, look what they did to Poland in a recent friendly. They are not to be taken lightly.

As Dude said, we need to see this game as a EURO final(!) because with a win, Greek football goes higher than any other time before and gives us the upper hand for a presence in WC2010!

A final note: we would favour an English win or draw because in this case we overcome Croatia and England stay in the first pot and we don't need to face them during the WC2010 campaign. I hope that the English can do justice to themselves although I have been hearing here (I am in the UK) that Croatia want to win to be in the 1st pot themselves.

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived