Phantis Forums

Laws of the Game

Another situation:  A defender taking a freekick, plays the ball backwards to a teammate who completely misses the ball which lands in the defender's own nets.

How should the ref restart the game?

So what's the answer?

If it's not an own goal (which is what I think it should be), I can only guess a free kick awarded to the opponent from the same spot the defender took it.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Believe it or not...

The Direct Free Kick

*If a direct free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal is awarded.

*If a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team’s own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team.

:o

No ref gives a penalty in that situation if there is an argument on another side of the feild.... the ball wasnt there...

So what if the ball was on the other side of the field?

As long as the ball is IN PLAY, its a pk and red card ejection.

Where in the laws of the game does it say the ball has to be nearby for a pk to be awarded?

Did you see the Atromitos-AEK game last year where Cirillo was ejected and a pk was given in a similar scenario?

Except for the fact that cirillo never touched the guy and the ref was going solely on the linesmans instructions. Cirillo's subsequent suspension was overturned by the league.

As for no ref ever giving such a pk, well, I have.

Guest TheLegend

Believe it or not...

The Direct Free Kick

*If a direct free kick is kicked directly into the opponents’ goal, a goal is awarded.

*If a direct free kick is kicked directly into the team’s own goal, a corner kick is awarded to the opposing team.

:o
Doubt this rule is ever enforced then. But then again how many situations like this do you find yuorself in

Guest TheLegend

ma Kala diavazis prin grafis?

you must feel stupid huh trying to have a shot at me all the time but your always wrong?

But then again how many situations like this do you find yourself in

Here's one for you guys.

I, the defender, punch an opposing attacker in MY penalty area while the ball is in play in the OPPOSING penalty area.

What's the call?

Let's change this just a bit: The attacking team's player, who is in his own penalty area, does not slug an opponent but his OWN keeper.

What is the call?

Of course, in a situation as Kolokotronis described, why on earth would a striker of the defending team be all the way up in the penalty area of the attacking team??? At best he should be at the midway line!

Its not as uncommon as you think Irlandos.

Here's the scenario:

Team A attacks in numbers, and has a shot on goal.

Keeper saves and quickly plays a half field outlet pass to his striker at the midfield line or so (like Morreto did to Ramos last week). The ball is going the other way while the striker from the defending team is still in the opponents penalty area.

ma Kala diavazis prin grafis?

you must feel stupid huh trying to have a shot at me all the time but your always wrong?

But then again how many situations like this do you find yourself in

You said "doubt this rule is ever enforced".

Thats what I was responding to.

Reading is a skill.

Here's one for you guys.

I, the defender, punch an opposing attacker in MY penalty area while the ball is in play in the OPPOSING penalty area.

What's the call?

Let's change this just a bit: The attacking team's player, who is in his own penalty area, does not slug an opponent but his OWN keeper.

What is the call?

Red Card on the offender. No pk.

• 3 weeks later...

The refs need to seriously study the laws of the game.

It's not such a big book and it could help avert serious injuries, not to mention that the game will open up a bit more.

Take a look at page 119 of the laws http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affederati...708%5f10565.pdf

For those not inclined to do this simple research, it says:

"A player who is guilty of serious foul play should be sent off and play

is restarted with a direct free kick"

and right below the rule it has two photographs that illustrate what a "serous foul play" is. Both depict sliding tackles and contact with the cleats on the opponent's lower leg.

If you watched the game, think how many of these exact situations happened in PAOK-Oly today, and what the ref did.

I am not saying who should have been sent off (lest I am accused of anti-olympiakos sentiments), but I have seen this kinds of tackles repeatedly in the Superleague and on occasion from my own team players, and very rarely the ref flashes the red card.

Is it that the refs study the rules when they first get their papers and then fail to keep up with the new changes every year or do they think they are just being "nice" by not ejecting players?? :unsure:

prepei na pane agglia oloi tous.. na tous mathoun 5 pragmata!!! opos eipa kai stou gaurou to forum... tous plirono ta eksoda an theloun... :P :P :P

• 2 weeks later...

Heres another two for you.

1. PK situation. The shooter trips as he approaches the ball but nonetheless makes contact with it and taps it forward. An alert teammate standing outside of the 18 yard box and behind the ball when the kick is taken alertly runs into the box and drills the ball into the back of the net.

Whats your call?

2. Corner kick. Ball rebounds off the goalpost back to the attacker who originally took the kick (without anyone elese touching it). He crosses the ball into the box where a teammate scores a goal.

Is it a goal?

Situation 1: As long as the ball rolled the distance of its own circumference IT IS IN PLAY. The correct call is to award a goal.

Situation 2: The player, in effect, passed it to himself. The correct call is to award an indirect freekick to the opposing team at the point where the second contact was made.

Btw, the call would be the same in a penalty kick situation.

Here's one for you:

a. An attacker eludes the keeper and rolls the ball goalward. A fan, from behind the goal line, charges out and stops the ball from crossing the line thus preventing a certain goal.

How should the ref restart the game?

b. What if the inteference comes from a substitute player rather than a fan. Any change to the restart procedure?

I believe this was on an old ref exam I took.

Lets see if I can answer without consulting the Laws.

1. Since the fan is an outside agent, drop ball at the spot wher the interference took place.

2. As far as the sub is concerned, he gets a red for denying an obvious goal scoring opportunity and I believe its an indirect freekick for the attacking team at the spot of the offense.

I DID consult the rules and...

1. Correct! A dropped ball is awarded at the point where the ball was located when the referee stopped play, which SHOULD be where the interference took place. Needless to say, the fan is first bodily removed before the restart takes place.

2. Absolutely correct!

Back to point 1: Must the referee allow players from both teams to contest the dropped ball? There is no law that says so...

There is absolutely NO LAW whatsoever that mandates a minimum number of players at a drop ball. The ref can drop the ball with ZERO players present.

Two more for you.

1. A team shows up to play without numbers on the back (or front) of their shirts. What is the ref to do?

2. Coin toss. Which team calls it in the air? The winning team chooses what?

I still can't recall anything on numbers! They are used for bookings and replacements but I'm not sure if numbers are even required.

My guess is: the ref may, at his own discretion, pull out his magic marker and number the players himself, otherwise politely ask them their names if he needs to book them.

Archived