Phantis Forums

DIRECTV's Big Fat Greek Launch

I got the standard reply from DirecTV customer service. I got almost the same exact reply last August when asking about Alter Globe.

I wonder why they did not mention RIK Sat in the response, since I asked about that too toward the end.

Thanks for writing.

I've checked our records and found that we're currently not offering the Greek channels Mad World and Star International. However, I have forwarded your request to DIRECTV management. Whenever we add channels to our lineup, we release a statement to the press, so keep an eye on the news to find out about the newest channels or visit our website at directv.com/pr.

You might be interested in getting other Greek channels that we're carrying. For more information, you can visit http://directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPa...ssetId=P4710034.

Sincerely,

Gene B.

Employee ID (I blanked it out for their privacy)

DIRECTV Customer Service

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People are canceling because of the financial situation thats one fact , The quality of programming is terrible on some channels

and to get all channels you have to have both satellite providers,

In my household i have 2 receivers from Dish Network , 2 receivers from DirecTV , 2 receivers from Verizon Fios and about 100 remotes and a bill of $200.00 a month just in programing. i need to start canceling some programing.

DKSat

I believe most people will keep their dish network over direct tv .

As long as ERT world and antenna satellite will have the sports ie basketball soccer and special events like eurovision.

Where I believe Greek tv is heading is on iptv. where people watch all their channels uncut . Boy i can't wait to to watch scrubs with Greek subtitles :LOL:

I doubt I will get a reply from DirecTV if I e-mail them about future Greek channels, but it's worth a shot. I will e-mail them later. But reading the part "once they decide to carry specific channels" leads me to believe what other members have written too, that DirecTV is not interested anymore.

I think you pretty much got your answer from UBI World TV Grk101, looks like they have signed an agreement with DirecTV to distribute the channels they have the rights to like Star & MAD World which is why they are referring you to DirecTV. I would say that they are not interested in adding any more channels and if you factor in what DKSat said then we can see why- subscriptions for the channels they currently offer are dropping and/or not very high. So if not a lot of people are subscribing to the channels they have now then why would they bother adding any others?!

From the replies posted it sound like most people are pretty much interested in the 'Big 3' (ANT1 Satellite, ERT World & MEGA Cosmos) and don't really care about the others. I would concur as ANT1 & MEGA are the top 2 private networks in Greece and ERT World has sports programming as well as the best newscast IMO.

I think the focus should be on improving the quality of the existing channels not wanting to add more, but that is just my view. I would prefer 2 or 3 good channels as opposed to 6 or 7 crappy ones- more is not always better.

:gr:

Surprisingly, I got a reply from UBI:

UBI World TV is a global distributor of TV content of various languages including Greek. We deliver channels via our own platforms in Australia, New Zealand, Asia and Africa; and work closely with the US operators to provide international content to them once they decide to carry specific channels.

For US inquiries of the channels we distribute, please contact DirecTV directly.

Kind Regards

Sam S. Bilge

UBI World TV

I doubt I will get a reply from DirecTV if I e-mail them about future Greek channels, but it's worth a shot.  I will e-mail them later.  But reading the part "once they decide to carry specific channels" leads me to believe what other members have written too, that DirecTV is not interested anymore.

Atleast you got a reply from the person that is in charge of UBI International (Sam Bilge) :gr:

And the reason why subscriber numbers are low IMO is this usually happens around this time of year when its off season in Greece and all shows go on holidays for 2 months or so the same happens here when it hits summer in Greece people usually halt there subscription for the summer months and just watch ERT World free till the new season in Greece starts again when everyone returns from holidays :)

name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>">
name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350">

• 1 month later...

Looks like Mega re-did their site (www.megatv.com) and updated it with a new look for the 2008-2009 season, some promotional stuff for their new shows, and even re-did the Mega Cosmos section. ;) The Mega Cosmos programming guide is now more interactive.

I am hoping that Mega shows ALL the shows they show in Greece on Mega Cosmos this year. In the past we have been left out with some shows (like "Maria h Asximi), but mostly game shows.

On a side note, apparently they had a "Duffy Afieroma" on Mega Cosmos this morning at 5am. That seems random to me. :LOL:

• 3 weeks later...

ERT World will not leave Dish Network if things work out it will be on both platformes Dish and Directv.

DKSat

Which is exactly how it should be. ERT World should be available on various platforms including cable in my opinion, as it is a state run channel. :gr:

Good news if it happens. Maybe we will see a price drop for ERT World on both platforms, but I doubt it..... :ph34r:

I guess this means that ERT World is not under exclusive contract with Dishnet?! I wonder what effect this will have on subscriptions if DirecTV is able to add ERT World to their lineup?

Why is it that international channels are mainly available on satellite and not cable in the USA?! Here in Canada its the exact opposite with Rogers Cable offering more ethnic channels than satellite. I wonder if ERT will be added to cable (at least in NY areas) now that they have added ANT1?!

On another note, DKSat any news on Alpha Sat coming to Dish? It was mentioned on here a while back that they don't have an exclusive deal with DirecTV and Alpha distributes the channel themselves and were looking to have the channel available on both platforms- is that still the plan?!

:gr:

• 2 weeks later...

I think all Direct TV subscribers to the Greek package should get a few months free service... their ad was the most annoying, stupid thing ever.......the POSO ELLINAS EISAI, just made me want to punch Direct TV in the face.

I actually have to say that I really like the "Poso Ellinas Eisai" ad. It came out back in March, just in time for Greek Independence Day. Which I think completely connected with that special day for us Greeks, it was very patriotic and well done. :tup:

I can't seem to find the Dish and Ant1/ERT World thread, so I will post it here. I was on the phone with Dish Network last night trying to resolve a problem with my receiver, and they said that Ant1 will be moving channels on Dish shortly. Dish plans to send out a letter about the move to customers. Not sure if the other channels will move too.

Archived