Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Bosnia-Herzegovina

dark_horse

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't play Nikopolidis against Turkey, that's all I know.

At least we're 4 points clear now. Cool.

he played ok

toro's foul was useless - but thats what you get with a RM playing LB

no Kats no Patsa - who will be the 3rd midfielder??????

looks like stelios

or a whacky 5-2-2-1

I mean Turkey is already in Nikopolidis head and Chalkias has done a good job for the ethniki and even better job for Aris so he deserves the chance in Turkey.

good point re Niko and Turkey

i really wonder who we'll see

Charisteas and Basinas were sensational

we could finish this in turkey now, great win as it was a win. I think charastea is the first player i have seen try to hump the ball int the goal, im suprised he didnt choke.

bring on TURKIYE

the guy scores and people still s%$#! on him

:LOL:

pah re poor charisteas - he's slow as muid, plays wing and plays well and stillno credit

no Kats no Patsa - who will be the 3rd midfielder??????

looks like stelios

i think otto could field antzas for katsouranis. which is actually another stupid move given he has other options such as tziolis and torosidis but thats otto.

in turkey he will probably not go for a 4-3-3. up front, expect gekas and charisteas or amanatidis with basinas, antzas playing dm and stelios and kara in midfield. todays defense with giourkas for patsa and its a wrap. thats my take on ottos thoughts.

nikopolidis in my view will start. he is ottos starting keeper. period.

to be honest, i have great fear that torosidis might get raped on the left side against turkey. this goofy experiment works against the maltas and bosnias but not a gainst decent opposition.

I would love to see Greece win or tie in Turkey and have Norway win in Bosnia and put Turkey's chances of passing in jeopardy.

After Turkey won in Greece, Turkey thought they would easily win the division and saw themselves as one of the elite teams of Europe. Since that match:

*Turkey-Norway 2-2 (Norway 2-0 at the half and Turkey tied it at the 90th minute)

*Bosnia-Turkey 3-2

*Malta-Turkey 2-2 (Turkey was down twice)

*Turkey-Hungary 3-0 (Hungary got a red card midway through the second half and Turkey scored 3 after that)

*Moldova-Turkey 1-1 (Turkey down at the half)

The curse of March 24 will come full circle in Turkey this Wednesday in Turkey. Greece wins in turkey and Greece passes.

As for Pats not playing in Turkey, dont worry. We'll have Seitaridis back. I think Nikopolidis played today because Chalkias had a yellow and I think Chalkias will play in Turkey.

Great result. We're in, though I shouldn't speak before it's over. [hoping we'll get 1 point in the remaining 3 games]

But, I still see problems with the team. We're trying to play long balls (to Gekas) from 40 meters away...

We should play Turkey agressively and not stay back for the tie.

Anyway, there's time for improvement before Euro 2008. Congrats to the team :gr:

Good result, terrible performance. Basinas was probably the worst player today. The approach the team had today seemed to be "kick the ball up the field, where she goes, nobody knows." Ho hum, oh well woooooops. They just couldn't connect, and they MUST get their asses in gear because if they play like this next summer, they'll lose all their games. I have some questions. Does Otto have any consideration before he fields the players or is it just a random act? Basinas was playing as bad as he was and instead of taking him off in the second and replacing him with Tziolis, he keeps him on. Putting in Lybe in the second was correct but he took out Haristeas; he should have taken out Karagounis who wasn't too great today, not Haristeas who was having a decent game. He takes out Gekas and puts in Antzas??? Leaving no strikers up front. Antzas should have started, right, STARTED this game. He's the best in form defender we have right now so what gives? And Nikopolidis better not start against Turkey because he was responsible for those goals they scored. Halkias has been fine.

With all due respect to Mr. Otto... He was the right person at the right time for Greece; we could not have done it without him. But, he should have retired 3 years ago.

I don't think he manages the team very well. Yes, we're almost in the next Euro, but I just don't see how we can do anything good over there. It was more than evident during the World Cup qualifiers that he was not managing well.

It's hard to criticize a great man who's done so much for the Greek national team, but....

we lose to Turkey and at Hugary but win at home vs Malta and we are at 25 points

Turkey and Norway win out - not including their head to head match - and they are at 24 and 23 respectively

so no matter what happens in the Norway-turkey match we are through

:gr:

Hellas is in, with a home win vs Malta

After doing the math, Greece with 25 points will be at least second,

regardless of any other results.

Nor plays Tur and not both could get max points.

Rehagel does a fine job.

OAKA should be full for the Malta game.

30,000 for the European Champions is really a disgrace. :(

Let's party Nov 17 !!!

For the Polytechnio and for HELLAS :gr:

PEACE

Teams in bold favorite to pass

Qualifying round

Group A Pld Pts

Poland 12 24

Portugal 11 20

Finland 12 20

Serbia 11 17

Belgium 11 12

Armenia 9 9

Kazakhstan 11 7

Azerbaijan 9 5

Group C Pld Pts

Greece 9 22

Turkey 9 18

Norway 9 17

Bosnia-Herzegovina 10 13

Hungary 10 12

Moldova 10 6

Malta 9 5

Group E Pld Pts

Croatia 10 24

England 10 23

Israel 10 18

Russia 9 18

F.Y.R. Macedonia 9 8

Estonia 11 4

Andorra 9 0

Group G Pld Pts

Romania 9 23

Netherlands 9 20

Bulgaria 9 18

Slovenia 10 11

Albania 9 10

Belarus 10 7

Luxembourg 10 3

Group B Pld Pts

Scotland 10 24

Italy 10 23

France 10 22

Ukraine 9 13

Lithuania 9 10

Georgia 10 7

Faroe Islands 10 0

Group D Pld Pts

Germany 9 23

Czech Republic 9 20

Republic of Ireland 10 15

Slovakia 10 13

Cyprus 9 13

Wales 9 10

San Marino 10 0

Group F Pld Pts

Sweden 9 22

Spain 10 22

Northern Ireland 9 16

Denmark 9 14

Latvia 9 9

Iceland 10 8

Liechtenstein 10 4

I didn't see today's game because of a NIGHTMARE! :( Are you ready for this?

Initially I was planning to watch the Greece game on the net at uni, but I was also pumped about Cyprus' game which I couldn't watch at uni. So I made the 4 hour journey to London to watch both games at a Greek bar (Greece started 15 mins after Cyprus finished so I could watch both). I got there 45 mins before the Cyprus game kicked off and had a couple of drinks while playing pool (billiards for our American-based friends here) and was discussing our chances.

To my horror, 10 mins before the Cyprus game kicked off, THE BAR'S NOVA BROKE!!! :xxx: So I jumped in the car drove to the local kafenio to watch the games, but they had closed early because the old men went on some trip, so I drove home (a 40 minute drive and listened to the Cyprus game on the radio). I also had 2 friends at the game so was getting constant telephone updates. I was gutted I missed such a great comeback but consoled myself with the fact that I would watch Greece. So I purchased the game from UEFA.Com AND IT WASN'T WORKING!!!!!!!!!!! :huh?:

I ended up following the goal updates on footienews.com before driving back to uni. So in summary I've driven a combined total of 10 hours today for the games and didn't see either of them... what's worse is that I have no idea where I can watch the Turkey game now. I'm having a panic attack about it as we speak!! :bangin:

As for the game, I'm pleased about the result but am disappointed that we conceded 2 goals. The first was unstoppable so no criticism there, but the 2nd... Kyriako is my fav defender, but don't turn your back when expecting a shot gamoto! Make yourself big & block it!!!

As for Turkey, I don't share Aekrossoponti's fears, I think Torosidi can cope at left back, but I would rather have him in centre mid and have a proper left back there! The danger of that though is that Spyropoulo has no experience and playing him against Turkey away is a "baptism of fire"! What if the pressure gets to the kid? Otto should have given Spyropoulou a chance earlier, but now we have a problem because Katsourani & Patsa are out. We really do have big selection problems imo. Having said that, I'd like to see a positive line up. Let's go for the win and get revenge! I'm not just saying this because it's Turkey, I'd be saying the same thing if it was Norway that beat us 1-4. If we draw Turkey in the finals of Euro 2008 what confidence will this team have? We are the Champions of Europe and it was us that gifted them that win with individual errors (mainly from Nikopolidi) so let's put them in their place by showing them who the boss is...

It's time for the Empire to Strike Back! :gr: :gr: :gr:

Archived