Phantis Forums

EURO 2008: Greece - Hungary

george21

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saw the whole game minus about 5 minutes at the beginning. Mostly, a much improved passing game, particularly in the center-midfield and up front, but a faster team will give a problems.

The ratings:

Katsouranis--5.5/10

He had a horrible first half, was mediocre in the second. I expect much better from this guy.

Anatolakis--5/10

Horrible give-away at the 12 minute mark. If it had been 1-0 Hungary at that point, his head wouldn't be safe anywhere. He also looked exhausted by the half, which isn't good for a defender.

Seitaridis 8.5-9/10

He hasn't played this well in months. A class goal followed by some classy attempts and performed better than most of the midfielders.

Karagounis--8/10

A good solid effort from this guy--three bullets on goal, the third of which should have gone in, but the keeper pulled off a miracle. The only reason he doesn't get higher is that lousy dive near the 3/4 mark when he had the defender beaten.

Chalkias--7/10

He wasn't really tested, but he looked steady the whole way through, and saved our asses early on after Anatolakis' lousy trap. I think after two games he's proven he should start from now on.

Kyriagos--7.5/10

He covered well and did a fair bit of support up front.

Charisteas--6.5/10

He had a few decent chances, pulled out some corners, and hustled a little more than usual, but I still don't think he should have started.

Gekkas--8/10

Great goal, hit the post later on, but showed a lot of composure in front of the net. I think we can all agree he should be starting from now on.

Amanatidis--7.5/10

I think he had a decent game, but maybe expectations were too high for him.

Basinas--6.5/10

I would rate him a little higher if he hadn't done so many crappy back-passes when there was no need. He played much better in this game than against Malta.

The subs: Stelios, Lymbe, Pats--they didn't really have much time to warrant a rating, but I would have subbed Lymbe on about 15 minutes earlier.

Overall, a decent game, and maybe a little bit of a confidence booster for the team.

Kali niki gia tin ethniki omada mas. With Turkey loosing thank God we are first in our group :) we played well tonight and we deserved the win, the hard games left for us to play are Turkey away tuff very tuff to win there so a draw would please me, Norway another tuff game but if we play the same way we played tonight we

should probably get a decent result againts Norway.

We should get all three points againts the rest.

Overall a good game by the Ethniki. We pretty much controlled the entire match.

Seitaridis, Karagounis, Gekas, Torosidis, and Kyriakos had great games (man of the match goes to Giourka).

Chalkias was solid when needed. Charisteas was decent but he shouldn't be starting. Amanatidis saw plenty of the ball but missed half a dozen chances (including the crossbar from 2m out). Basinas and Katsouranis had relatively quiet games.

Anatolakis shouldn't be on the NT period.

how would you guys incorporate spyropoulos, torosidis and giorkas into the same endekada?

i am unsure whether toro can be as valuable in the centre but i believe we need left footed spyropoulos on the left side starting.

The best way would be to play him at Righ or Left mid,and play a 4-4-2.If he can handle leftback why not left mid,and Karagounis can play on the right side.

Boys played well today. Giourkas was the man of the match.

Anatolakis is soooooooooooooo slow. Charisteas can not play wide, sorry Gekas is the flavor of the month.

Patsa should get the start as Kyriakos partner, could be Kapsis-like not very big but technically sound!

whats your take on a 4-4-2 with giourkas and torosidis on the right side vyntra and spyropoulos on the left? with fullbacks being giourkas on the right and vyntra on the left.

i know vyntra is not exactly popular with most users but with pao he was very solid when playing on the left side. when he played against malta he was very good but on the right side. of course stelios would be the more natural choice but he hasnt been up to much as of late and toro and giorkas seems a very tempting and strong right flank.

....................chalkias....

giourkas......kapsis......soto..........vyntra

toro...katsou...basinas/kara..spyropoulos

...............gekas...samaras...................

having said that otto is too fond of his 4-3-3 to change it especially now and thing are somewhat more difficult in a 4-3-3 to fit all three. i would opt for something like this given basinas is out on yellow cards:

......chalkias...

giourkas..kapsis..soto..spyropoulos

......toro..katsou..kara...

salpi.......gekas...amanatidis/samaras

but a 4-3-3 doesnt really work with the players we have.

i would prefer a 4-4-2!

we are 3rd in points per match in all of Europe

the 3rd Bosnian goal looked like Nikopolidis was in net for Turkey

just prior to this goal a Bosnian got hurt and the Bosnians kicked it our the Turks did not return the ball - that seemed to ignite a flame under the Bosnians

I believe that Bosnia are a threat for second spot i knew turkey was going to have a hard time there because the draw they got against Norway was sheer luck easy goal keeping errors that you see at an amater level ;)

Its plain and simple Turkey ran out of luck Greece now needs to take revenge for the loss we incured in Athens in Constandinopoly they to prove to turkey that our keeper let us down, and that we are not a defensive team now that we have Gekas, and really show the world that we can find the net more often :D

I think Otto is trying to make the side more Offensive than defensive which is hard to do when have had a side always relying on their strength {which is defence} we have playing like this for a very long time.

We should beat Moldova but Greece should play a more attacking game with gekas always starting in the first 11, Samaras should replace Charisteas :gr:

You need to play players at their strengths and go from there. I believe Torosidis is best used as a cutter. A defensive midfielder that has free reigns.

You need to put Spiropoulos on the left back.

Having a young guy or two is crucial in the back side.

KPHTH! :tup:

Thank you for the best fans !

With fans like that, you make your island proud.

You deserve to have two teams in the Superleague!!!

Good 30 minutes against the worst team in the group.

It was not a coincidence that Malta beat Hungary...

I was glad to see Seitaridi back in form, after his incidents with the "gaurous" at Karaiskaki.

Gekas got his well deserved start and delivered.

As soon as I saw Anatolaki in the line up. I exclaimed "oh no!"

Everyone except him, and Charisteas, were positive.

I agreed with Otto's plan and substitutions.

Gianakopoulos is too talented to be out of this team and hope he will be able to rebound soon.

Samaras needs to reclaim his spot as well.

Lyberopoulos and Salpi should be ready for some action.

For the first time in years, we have more quality options on offence than defence.

The ancient saying "ouden kako amiges kalou":

Tzigger's incompetence to keep the best Greek players at PAO, has tremendously benefited out national team.

Their improvement in gaining skills and experience abroad, is showing in their performances.

Greek NT fans should be grateful to tziggeraki... :LOL:

Chalkias, Fyssas, Seitaridis, Kyrgiakos, Basinas, Karagounis, Gekas certainly are! :not:

I have looked at many possible combinations of results.

If we beat Bosnia at home, we may not need any points away at Norway or Turkey.

The earlier we get the results, the pressure is on them.

This will cause point drops between our rivals, especially now that Bosnia is back in the chase.

We are only half way!

PAME ELLADARA! :gr:

PEACE

just prior to this goal a Bosnian got hurt and the Bosnians kicked it our the Turks did not return the ball - that seemed to ignite a flame under the Bosnians

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It was a crazy decision by Terim to field Rustu as the starting GK after he had been out for 7-months with a career-threatening knee injury..

And we paid the price.. :unsure:

And guys, it's a no brainer.. We'll take the lead back in November.. ;)

Cheers..

Just remember that in November we are not going to loose 4-1 ;) it is going to get tuffer than what you think ;)

I AGREE WE HAVE SOME QUALITY PLAYERS BOTH OFFENCE AND DEFENCE BUT WHAT I SEE LACKING AND I HOPE OTTO CAN SOLVE IS THE LACK OF DEPTH IN THE MIDFEILD DONT YOU GUYS SEE THIS <_<

Yes it is clear we have no depth in midfield,Otto must use friendlies for this.

Torosdis can play right mid,and even leftmid since he is comfortable at leftback.

Tziolis must be used as well in friendlies, was he not listed as one of the up and comers on uefa.com during his u19 u21 days

Lagos was being intergrated into the lineup, be it out of position(leftback), I believe he is our future leftmid.

Patsa showed at right mid as well vs Bosnia, but I prefer him next to Kyriakos, reminded me of Kapsis yesterday ,he was always in good position.

I believ we should be playing a 4-4-2 vs quality opponents. We all saw how Turkey's speed and ball skill had us 2nd on the ball all day.

our wing play would improve with more speed at our right/leftmids, Giourkas and Patsa caused havoc vs Bosnia. Patsa or Torosidis at Rmid over Charisteas anyday!Spyropoulos and Torosidis on Wednesday would be nice to see,and Karagounis can play on the right side or place him behind the strikers.

We have players, Otto must find the backbone and try them.

I agree w/ everyone... Great night for oyur team.

Even though our opponents weren't top class... We managed to make this a easy match.

Lets keep this momentum going into the next game vs Bosnia..

:tup: :tup: :gr: :gr: :tup: :gr: :tup: :gr: :tup: :gr:

Just remember that in November we are not going to loose 4-1 ;) it is going to get tuffer than what you think ;)

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves. That game is a long way off with crucial matches in between.

For this week Greece needs to beat Moldova and hopefully either Norway or Bosnia might overlook either Hungary or Malta and end up with a tie.

A tie to a team in the lower half is just like a loss at this stage.

I'm very curious to see the outcome of the Bosnia-Malta game as they really celebrated their win over Turkey. This might lead to a let down.

It was a crazy decision by Terim to field Rustu as the starting GK after he had been out for 7-months with a career-threatening knee injury..

Cheers..

Ever since the 4-1 win for Turkey in Greece, Turkey has had 1 point in 2 straight matches that were derbies. And Turkey tied Norway at the last minute. Do I sense a curse?

Cheers..

In fairness to the Turkish keeper, he can only really be faulted on the last goal. The first goal was just horrid defending by Turkey and the second was an excellent shot into the top corner (unstoppable). On the third goal, he misjudged a corner and came out, leaving the goal wide open for the Bosnian player to head in.

From what I've seen, Turkey has big problems on defense (not sure if it was because they were lacking players or something). The game in November should be interesting.

Archived