Phantis Forums

Apollon-Oly

DUDE

1-0 Apollon, Orfanos header. Apollon's first attack and surprise surprise it came from a cross! Free header and Nikopolidi showed the worst piece of goalkeeping I have ever seen! I thought he got nutmegged but it just went threw him, popo, poli m#$%!s!

halia auti i amina tou Olympiakou! This is a shocking display of football! Only Torosidi can hold his head up high! Apollon have defended excellently. Favalis is the best player on the pitch. Shutting down, harrying, bravo tou. Galanopoulos has been very good too.

Nikolodis not only does he have to wake up but become the keeper that he once was.

It's getting VERY dumb and IDIOTIC to see him not going for balls. He's a damn keeper and he needs to get off his pre-madonna horse and play like a real man

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

Nikolodis not only does he have to wake up but become the keeper that he once was.

It's getting VERY dumb and IDIOTIC to see him not going for balls. He's a damn keeper and he needs to get off his pre-madonna horse and play like a real man

:tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: :tdown:

To be honest I dont think he's a prima donna. If anything I think he lacks the confidence essential for a goal keeper.

1) he doesnt command and direct his defenders

2) he is uncertain when dealing with high balls

3) he isnt dominant when you shoot at his feet

4) he's always panicking

These are weakness but they aren't traits of a prima donna. He doesnt try too much, i.e. dribbling, he doesnt make flash saves that lead to goals, and he trains hard. He just isnt a great keeper anymore. Some goalkeepers rely on positioning, anticipation and handling skills (such as David Seaman), others rely on agility, bravery (such as Gigi Buffon), others are flash and larger than life personalities that are usually agile and intimidating (such as Barthez). Imo Nikopolidis didnt fall in any particular category when in his prime. He always got low quickly and well, he was great at making himself big and saving with his legs, but he was never that agile, never great at collecting crosses/handling. In other words he was reliable but never exceptional. Now he's not as good at getting down low (as age erodes agility of course) he isn't the same keeper. It's difficult to expect much more from him but as a fan I am not comfortable having him in goal. The problem is Halkias is crap, Sifakis isn't good enough, Eleftherpoulos is inconsistent, etc. The sad thing is all these keepers, plus others like Hiotis had great credentials so it's not like we dont have goalkeeping talent, but they are just not being nurtured. It's time to get a top goalkeeping coach on the roster (the English & Italians usually create good gk's) and start training our young talents because otherwise we'll have these problems for a hundred years!

Archived