Phantis Forums

Pao vs Rapid Bucuresti

HOLLYWOOD

Yeah, this was another boring game against a mediocre team. We had some chances, and Rapid did too.

Hapoel's last game is at home against Mlada, and if they win, they go to 7 points. At worst, if we lose at PSG we tie with Hapoel, but we beat them in Athens so we will still be first (like Lalin already said).

PSG has an incentive to beat us in Paris because if Mlada does not win at Hapoel, PSG needs the three points to reach thrid place and advance. Munoz did not field all the starters today, so I doubt he will burden them at PSG. I personally don't have a problem with that. I am happy to see our team present in another round and without exerting too much effort.

As for the game. We played a very careful game, making sure we don't lose first, and hoping that we can score up front. No one scores with hopes alone and we were not the exception, although I have the feeling Salpigidis would have nailed the youngster if the last defender had not fouled him (when he was ejected)

There were a few moments when our defenders were caught a little out of line, but they were never caught with their pants down (the one mistake I described in my previous post). Rapid, was added to the long list of teams that could not find a clear shot at goal.

Ebede was good, and Darlas was serviceable. Biscan was good as CB and I am happy to see him play with some nerve. He had one great run in the first half reminiscent of Bekenbauer and Zaets (well, kind off). Morris once again had an excellent game, and Tziolis looked like the notoriety of the past few weeks got to his head and looked a little too loose in midfield. Leontiou had a good game defensively, but had more errant passes than accurate ones. Romero has these moments in every game where he looks really exciting and spreads panic to defenders, but many times he just disappears in the flow of things. Same goes for Ivanschitz on the left. He was nowhere in the game until the last fifteen minutes when he created some excellent chances up front. Mantzios had an ok game, but when Papadopoulos replaced him the entire team moved forward. Salpigidis once again had a good game even though no passes of any merit reached him.

I left Vintra for the end. I usually don't like to say bad things about our players (present or past), but I am not sure how to describe the kid. He is very likable and he truly tries hard but I think everyone has realized that there is no hope for better play from him. The mistakes he made today were really pathetic, and we were lucky we did not pay for any of them. Nilsson was definitely an upgrade (at least he can stop the ball when he is all alone).

Vintra, looked upset when he was replaced and was booed extensively or so I thought from the ERTsat usually-bad audio. Was anyone in the stadium? What happened when Vintra was replaced? Munoz, is covering his player and said he replaced him because he had a yellow card and not for any other reason.

Overall, the team had a very pragmatic attitude, and was very disciplined. We knew what we wanted and we took it.

Hey, two months ago I had us left for dead. Before Munoz came we looked like a joke and now we went through to the UEFA 32 first in our group with a game to spare. Would I want us to make five goals every game? sure. But I 'll take the first place in our group any day.

Three ole for the group winners from me: :nw: :nw: :nw:

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Spastiko paixnidi :angry:

This game should have been won.

Many changes and lots of young Greeks getting experience.

Victor was very missed. :whistle:

Salpigidis' constant effort, was the highlight.

Vyntra tries, but is in a slump, he cannot cross for nothing...

Ivan needs to step up, Mantzios was below par, Biscan surprisingly did OK.

Leontiou made some mistakes but worked hard. Tziollis was in control.

Good to see Darlas back.

PAO is first,

UNLESS:

PAO loses at PSG, and Hapoel beats Mlada Boleslav, in Israel.

PLUS,

Hapoel covers the minus 3 goal differential vs PAO.

Either PAO must lose by 2 or Hapoel win by 2.

PEACE

Spastiko paixnidi :angry:

This game should have been won.

Many changes and lots of young Greeks getting experience.

Victor was very missed. :whistle:

Salpigidis' constant effort, was the highlight.

Vyntra tries, but is in a slump, he cannot cross for nothing...

Ivan needs to step up, Mantzios was below par, Biscan surprisingly did OK.

Leontiou made some mistakes but worked hard. Tziollis was in control.

Good to see Darlas back.

PAO is first,

UNLESS:

PAO loses at PSG, and Hapoel beats Mlada Boleslav, in Israel.

PLUS,

Hapoel covers the minus 3 goal differential vs PAO.

Either PAO must lose by 2 or Hapoel win by 2.

PEACE

I looked up the UEFA regulations for the UEFA cup:

if two teams are tied the following criteria are used:

1-superior goal difference form all group matches played

2-Higher number of goals scored

3-Higher number of goals scored away

4-Higher number of wins

5-Higher number of wins away

6-Higher number of coefficient poings accumulatd by the club in question, as well as association, over the preious five seasons.

So I spoke too soon, and Hapoel can top the table if they win by alot of goals.

We have a +3 goal difference right now, and Hapoel sits at 6 goals for and 6 against.

As the Pao-Rapid game got really borring I wished that the television had a dedicated "Munoz Cam" on the corner of the screen, so at least I could be entertained by his antics.

At one point, Morris found himself ready to take a throw-in from near the Rapid corner flag. As Morris took a few steps back, Munoz run down the line screaming like a maniac to stop him! He yieled for Darlas to execute it and for Morris to return to his position on defense while the fourth referee was running behind him to stop him.

Posted Image

guys it was painful watching Vyntra play today... Munoz was on point when he replaced Vyntra who was by far our worst player...The game took on a different tone when Paps entered the game... we earned a tie which is good enough for 1st.

Lentiou plays very well with the ball & missed a couple of chances late, he always impresses & Tziolis is turning out to be a bull in midfield... There were some positives from our younger players... Darlas had a nice 2nd half....

Morris was our best befender other than the blunder with Darlas...

Rapid had plenty of speed which gave us fits in the 1st half :gr:

Hey guys!

First of all I watched the game and I found that neither team played outstanding. Both teams were mediocre and the 0-0 is fair. I did not expect pana to be going full out even though we always want them to fight for the win, they did what they needed to do and we are now through.

The coach is aware that this weekend pao has to go to harilaou and come away with a win which is not very easy. Aris this year play very offensively and have some extremely skilled players. Hence the mediocracy in this match.

Regarding the match......

There is not much to discuss it was nothing spectacualr but nothing to be pissed about after all RApid made it to the quarter finals last year and htey are a solid opponent. TZIOLIS AND LEONTIOU I belive were the best players along with Morris. I am pleased to see how technicaly sound Tziolis for defensive midfielder of his size and his vision is excellent, lets not forget he is only 22 or 21!!! Leontiou has heaps of skill, I really enjoyed watching these 2 players today.

I hope that these two players go straight to the top it would be a shame to see their careers lead them to a european team sitting on the bench. These guys have potential I hopie they guided properly.

Anyway.... Pao is on to the next round, I think we might see pana's european form return this year!

Cheers

Yes, and I wish I had confidence in Tzigger to keep the young talent, instead of letting them go, and spend more $$$ to bring in washed-up players simply because they're foreigners. I understand that a player wants to go to europe to play but I don't think Tzigger has done whatever he can to keep them. Goodness, look at all of our ex-players now in Europe....

Anyway, can anyone explain to me why it is so difficult to find another player for Vyntra's position???!!!! Really, I cannot understand why this kid plays for us--and plays so often and for so many minutes.....

seriously mantzios is really pissing me off now, i dont want to see him start at all. I want PAO to buyus a young greek prospect that we can toughen up to play in the future for PAO and ELLAS. Mantzios is turning into a charasteas and i dont like it one bit.

when we bought Mantzios he was a top Greek prospect, hes having a tough time

Munoz delight at Greens success

Friday, 1 December 2006

by Graham Wood

from Athens

Panathinaikos FC coach Victor Munoz can contemplate an assault on the knockout stage of the UEFA Cup after the Greek club drew 0-0 at home against AFC Rapid Bucuresti last night to qualify with a game to spare.

Mission accomplished

"We achieved our main objective against a team that needed to win," said Munoz a UEFA Cup Winners' Cup winner with FC Barcelona in 1989. "We didn't give them space up front and we created more chances. In the second half we tried to stop them attacking on the break and looked to score but qualification was our main aim so we are happy.

'Positives'

"It's a virtue not to concede a goal, even if what interests me is the victory and the spectacle," added the 49-year-old Spaniard when questioned about Rapid's domination of possession in Athens. "I took positives from the game and it's not the first time as the same thing happened in the Czech Republic against Boleslav."

Defensive record

Panathinaikos had defeated Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC (2-0) and FK Mladá Boleslav (1-0) in their previous Group G outings and have not conceded a goal in their last four matches in the competition, including the second leg of their first-round tie. It is a feat only equalled by title-holders Sevilla FC.

'Obligation'

Panathinaikos are away to Paris Saint-Germain FC for their final group fixture on 13 December and Muñoz is keen to finish on top of the pile before the Round of 32 begins in February. "Our objective is always to win, it is our obligation to do that," he said.

i havent had time to add my thoughts on this game as i was away for the last day but i will do so now.

PAO played a smart game against a team that NEEDED a win. we left them almost no space and can only remember ONE time they went inside our megali perioxi.

And that was caused by a mistake on D.

I am not really dissappointed by any of the players except one. Loukas Vyntra.

I have been strict judging him in the past and his play against Rapid shows why.

He just isnt talented enough to be a pao player. for every one thing he does right he does 5 things absolutely wrong.

i have nothing more to say about him. his days are numbered. guarantee. Munoz knows that he is a liability. he sees it.

Sure mantzios didnt look good but its fair to say that while he was on the team didnt push forward. we played a sound defensive game and are almost surely guaranteed of finishing first in the group.

later skaters

Archived