Phantis Forums

Mark Philippoussis

DUDE

He won his first title today in 3 years, by beating home favourite Gimelstrob to win the Newport title. Philippoussis hit an array of aces on his way to the title in a tournament which included Andy Murray, Melzer, Karlovic and of course Gimelstrob. The American was completely outplayed and went down in straight sets (6-3, 7-5) to the 29 year old big hitter Philippoussis! Are we about to witness a resurgence??? OLE!

:gr: :gr:

The Scud is definately known more as an Aussie, im not sure if he has much Greek support at all!!

It is good for him that he finally did something after 3 years in the wilderness.

This will gaurantee some more wildcard enteries for another year or so!!

BRAVO THE POO!!!

he is more a greek than aussie. he is alexander the great tattoo on his arm. he often wears rings that give him courage. eg, one of his rings wrote "andras" - man.

all the greeks in aust love him and i have seen greek flags at his games before.

his mother is italian, his father greek. my relatives know their family from ages ago as they worked together at the melbourne markets.

he is aust. but definately a proud greek too :gr:

Does Philippoussis have a strong Greek following as Baghdatis does, or is he known as being more of an Aussie?

Like Levendi2000 says he is proud of his Greek heritage and most Greek-Aussies love him. I am not a Greek-Aussie but have always been a big Philippoussis fan. Most Greeks outside Aus dont really follow him that much though, there's the mentality that 'if he's so proud to be Greek why not play for Greece and not Aus?' Baghdatis was based in France for a number of years he still plays for Cyprus. And to be honest I sympathise with this mentality, even though I like the dude. So to answer your question, no his support isnt as big as Baghdatis team.

Another player who was of Greek origin but didnt represent Greece was of course Pete Sampras and his Hellenic following wasnt like Baghdatis' either. Shame that they didnt all represent Hellenism. Sampras (the greatest ever) would have made a mean davis cup partner with Philippoussis! Doesnt matter Baghdatis will break Federer's reign and make us proud within 2-3 years! (Remember where you heard it first!) :tup: :gr:

Super - bravo big Marco

Sampras always said he was waiting to be approached by a Greek official to represent his parent homeland

Really?????? Do you have a link for that?
No - I read a while back in a magazine (7 years ago?) - he did not wear his background on his sleeve and when asked about Greece he said he had been puzzled why he had never been approached to do any work for the Country

Not like representing it in the Davis Sup - but more like some promo work with camps and that sort of thing

No - I read a while back in a magazine (7 years ago?) - he did not wear his background on his sleeve and when asked about Greece he said he had been puzzled why he had never been approached to do any work for the Country

Not like representing it in the Davis Sup - but more like some promo work with camps and that sort of thing

I dont doubt you dude but I doubt the magazine's report. Greece has always had a tennis federation, even thought the players werent top. It doesnt sound feasible that they wouldnt appraoch the greatest player ever if there was a chance. I seriously doubt it somehow. Also, why didnt he approach the Hellenic federation if he wanted to play for Greece?

Archived