Phantis Forums

AEK Preseason Friendlies

Damianos

Just thought id open this topic because for people who arent in Greece or dont read Greek it is very hard to keep up to date on how the team is going.

So far as far as i know we have had two frienlies.

I cant remember who the first was against, but we won 5 - 0.

If anyone has anymore information on this friendly or any friendlies before this, please post it. Line up, goal scorers, who played well etc.....

On July the 15th we played SV Wacker Burghausen, a Second Division German side who finished 8th in the 2.Bundesliga last year. We won 4 - 0. The good sign about these two games is that we have kept clean sheets. Our starting line up for the Burghausen game was:

Chiotis

Pautasso Cirillo Dellas Tziortziopoulos

Emerson

Lakis Julio Cezar

Ivic

Lyberopoulos Kapetanos

I am not sure who came on as substitutes, but it is a little worrying to see no youngsters in the line up. Surely this would be the perfect time to play some of these guys and see what they've got. On the other hand all i can think of is that Ferrer is trying to sort out his starting line up so they can gel and we are ready for the 3rd Qualifying round for the CL. So many times we have been caught out in Europe because the Greek League has only just started. I hope we dont get caught out again. Our defence looks really solid, add Sorrentino, plus back ups of Moras, Alexopoulos and Georgeas, and our defence looks really good. I am glad to see Dellas playing, i watched him in the Australia/Greece game and he was absolutely dominant!!!!! As long as he stays fit he will be a pillar for AEK. I guess him playing also means this rumour about him going to Portsmouth is rubish. Also, with Lyb playing, i guess he is not going to Benfica either, which i feel is good for AEK, having already lost Katsouranis.

If anyone has anymore information on this match it would be great to hear. Goals, who came on as subs, who played well etc....

On the 19th of July we meet Czech side Marila Pribram. This will be another chance to sharpen our swords for CL action!!!

Any word on any injuries so far??? None i hope!!

Oh well, thats all ive got, any more information would be great!!!

:tup: LONG LIVE AEK :tup:

The first team that we played was Grödig an Austrian 3rd Division Club...that have been just promoted.

There in the first half, we started with the "2nd Team"... also including the youngsters...

in the second half. it played the "1st Team", regulars from past saison including Pautasso.

First half it was 2 : 0 at the end it was 5 : 0

The Goals have been scored by Kabadais, who played with 1st Team, Lakis and Liberopoulos (3)

In the 2nd game we started with the 1st Team. First half 2 : 0 . And in the 2nd half played the 2nd Team including Lagos and Kone. Final 4 : 0

First Goal by Cesar then Kapetanios - Kyriakidis (distance shoot) and the last by the new acquisition Tozer from Ferencvaros Budapest.

The good thing is that we final score. Not like last year under Santos with this boring football. Ferrer implies an offensive footbal. That's why we score.

A second Bundesliga team from Germany is as good as many First Division Greek Team.

In that game Cirillo and Kapetanios had been replaced due injuries.

Also the young players have as many playing minutes as the seniors....

Damianos, don't listen to the rumors about Lybe transfer to Benfica...... there was never an interests... for obvious reasons.

Pictures from yesterday's game:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Above this is Tozer. I haven't see him play. So I don't know if he is fast or has

a good condition.

But by the picture and his anticipation (movement/position of the body - legs - arms - hands)

I guarantee you that this is a fine football players with a very good technic..

If you don't believe my words.. you will know it soon.

I have to say that I am optimistic for many reasons even though I have not seen any play yet... All I have for data is what I have read from the papers...

First, Ferrer requests attacking soccer which is a major change to what we have had for 2 years. Secondly, Ferrer wants fast attacks from the wings. To me this is a huge decision since in Lakis and Caesar we have very fast extremes. Additionally, neither of those players really excelled in any more of an attacking forward role. And from what I have read, Caesar has really been playing well serving the team with wonderful balls. Again this is still early, but these are MAJOR differences that are seen from last year. Cesar said, that playing under ferrer allows him more freeedom to play his game, unlike when he was under Santos. When Cesar first came, this is the way he played, but eventually his game changed per the team playing style and and his playing performance went to mediocrity.

Another thing I believe becomes an improvement with Ferrer's playing style as this system (I believe, again from not having seen any games yet) will help improve Lymbe's goal out put. I, like Nightsurfer, am not a huge fan of Lymbe because he is slow and not good enough for Europe... But Lymbe does has a nose for goal and can be deadly with his head and strikes when he is NOT REQUIRED to actually lead the attack himself. If we are attacking from the wings, he could be an excellent point man in the middle espeically if we have another striker that compliments Lymbe with fast attacking characteristics.

Additionally, I am happy to see that Ferrer's team is SHOOTING FROM OUTSIDE THE PENALTY AREA. Unlike AEK teams of the past, we do not have to dribble to the "Mikro Perioxi" to take a shot. As much as we have tried in the past, we are not that type of team. And this new style suits us much better (again I have not seen a game yet, this comes from what I have read)...

Lastly, I do not want Sorrentino to go. But things could work out. If no team picks him up before the transfer period passes then maybe he can be explained to that if he performs admirably during league and hopefully into CL group league play - then he would have a ton of exposure and will have a better choice of teams that want him.... and additionally more money for AEK....

There are my preseason thoughts .... so far....

I read the match report in SV Burghausen website in German.

The German official said... that AEK played a very high rythm the whole 90 minutes... and eventhough the changed the whole team in the 2nd half... the rythm was kept very high....

This from a mouth of an German.. this says something ;)

Look what a coach can change... I mean yesterday were the same players except Pautasso on the right back...like last year in the first half..

Dava-G -- As you might know, AEK is after the Uruguay guy name Vargas..

He was the 1st Goalscorer in Argentina last season and he is supposed to be very fast.

Dava-G -- As you might know, AEK is after the Uruguay guy name Vargas..

He was the 1st Goalscorer in Argentina last season and he is supposed to be very fast.

Yeah. We are offering alot of money for him. Hopefully we get him.

Also a strong holding midfielder would be nice. Im not too sure about the Argentinean guy at Athletico but I would think something of his style of play (from what I have heard) would be a welcome addition and allow Ivic to play his game.

Things are shaping up nicely. Hopefully hey will continue this way.

Even tho it's still early we are looking good. The team is playing great soccer and we are scoreing some goals. Hopefully we will stay like this for the rest of the season. :tup:

Well, AEK played another friendly on the 19th of July against Czech side Marila Pribram. The final score was 1 - 1, which i guess is dissapointing in two ways. One, you would expect us to beat them comfortably, and two we have conceeded our first goal. However, it was only a friendly, so i guess it is a time to try some new things.

We started off with the line up of:

Sorrentino

Pautasso Dellas Cirillo Tziortziopoulos

Emerson

Lakis Julio Cezar

Ivic

Lyberopoulos Kapetanos

By looking at the last few games, it looks like this will be our first team line up, with the exception of maybe trying to sign a big name striker, so Kapetanos will go to the bench and come on with 30 minutes to go or something like that.

This is all i heard about the game. Did we change teams again at 1/2 time?? I head that they took the lead and we equalised in the 87th minute through a deflected shot by Hetemaj.

If you have any other information on this game it would be greatly appreciated, who played well etc... Cheers

In other news, Lyberopoulos re-signed for AEK, signing on until June 30, 2009.

AEK have also been drawn to play PAOK in the first round of the season at home.

What is the word going around about Louay Chanko, is he still an AEK player??? I heard they parted ways, is this true??

Dellas, Lyberopoulos and Chiotis have all been made captains of AEK aswell.

Our next friendly is on the 22nd of July against Napoli, who are playing in the Italian Serie B this season. We should really win this game, but it could go either way, and it will be interesting to see how we play as some of the players are starting to get tired after our busy Friendly Match schedule!!

Any more information on our friendly schedule, injuries and general news leading up to the start of the season and our European campaign would be appreciated.

It is official, Chanko is no longer with us. Although I do feel as if he was short changed by the signing of Emerson.

As for the last friendly. From what I read the players must have been tired from the practices and the previous friendlies because their was no movement in the field. Of course its only the beginning and the players are still becoming match fit.

Overnight AEK beat Napoli 1 - 0. Apparently we had quite a few good chances, and it was good to see that we kept another clean sheet. Again we changed most of our team at 1/2 time i think, so everyone that is fit is getting a run (i think Alexopoulos and Kone have niggling injuries).

The team was apparently 35 minutes late for the game because the team bus was held up due to a car crash on the way. I heard Vasilis Pliatsikas got our only goal on 69 minutes after a bit a scramble from a corner. Another goal after a set piece, this we do not want to rely on!!

Anyway, its good to see that they are playing lots of matches and getting match fit!!

Our next match is against, yes, you've guessed it, Benfica. The game is on the 1st of August, where we will meet Santos and Katsouranis. I hope they get a big crowd and a good reception. Also Karagounis will be playing in this match. This will be a true test to see where we are as a club.

Should be interesting to see how Ferrer's more attacking style works against Benfica, who could be more defensive under Santos.

Im looking forward to it, any Squad News, or friendly information would be much appreciated. Not long now until we play our CL Qualifier!!!

papers have small print on our young defender Papasotiropoulos... he seems to have impressed...

and generally the young players seem to have done OK

We now need someone to take the risk in giving them playing time. As a fan I am willing to gain 2-3 future great players and count in yet another 2nd or 3rd place .. but I know I am not with the majority..

We'll see

On the 27th we played an intra club match, where we split up the first team with the reserves etc...

The first half was 8-0, very lopsided, whilst the 2nd was 3-2, totally different teams both halves. I guess we are trying to stay match fit before the Benfica friendly and then the Champions League 3rd Qualifying matches!!

Any news on injuries??

Im guessing well will field our strongest possible line-up against Benfica to prepair for the CL match on the 8/9th of August!!

AEK 3 - 1 Benfica

A very good result, regardless of what anyone says. Our first home game of the campaign. Two good goals for Kapetanos, one on the left, a very cool finish after breaking away from 1/2 way. Lyberopoulos with the other, a tap in after Ivic dinked it over the on coming keeper. Our line up was:

Sorrentino

Pautasso (46' Tziortziopoulos) Moras Cirillo (83' Papastathopoulos) Georgeas

Emerson

Lagos (58' Hetemaj) Julio Cezar (66'........ )

Ivic (46'Kiriakidis)

Katetanos (57' Pliatsikas) Lyberopoulos (87' Tozer)

Dellas and Lakis were rested for the game, as to be ready for the Hearts clash.

It is a pitty Tozer came on so late, either Lyberopoulos needs match fitness, or Ferrer wanted to keep one recognised striker out there so we didnt lose our shape too much. We really need to sign another striker soon, Aloisi or Charisteas would be very nice!!

As for the game, Benfica didnt play their strongest team, and from what i saw of it there wasnt much pressure on the AEK player carrying the ball. However, our goals were very nice, and it was good to see us attacking and not scoring from Set Pieces!!!!

We have another game on the 3rd of August, does anyone know who we are playing??? Thanks.

Also i read somewhere that Alexopoulos and Kone had slight injuries and were training alone from the main group. But the artical also said Sapanis??? Is he still with us, i thought he left??

Also, Julio Cezar and Kapetanos pulled up a little sore from the game, i think they will be rested for the game today!!

Looking at our team line up, appart from needing a striker and a holding midfielder, i think we could use another left back. Someone was saying before that the goal we conceeded was because we were poor in the air heading the ball. When they scored, it was poor marking, but you have to look before that to see that it was Georgeas (playing left back) that let the opposition pass him and cross the ball in without much pressure. This should never have happened in the first place. I know Lagos can fill the role, but he HAS to play in midfield, to create goals like he did against Benfica.

Cant wait for the Hearts game, any more news would be great!!

Cheers (",)

AEK played a friendly last night (3rd August), im not sure who against. They lost 3-1, but played with a 2nd string line up. It was good to see Tozer, Hetemaj and a few other young players got a good solid run under their belts. It was 0-0 at 1/2 time, but apparently AEK came out unmotivated in the 2nd half. Ferrer wasn't too dissapointed, he said it was a good learning experience, but warned the players not to get complacent and over confident. I think Komvolidis scored our goal, a consilation in the 89th minute.

Dellas and Lakis also played after missing the Benfica game, its good that they got a chance to tick the legs over so they are ready for the Hearts game on the 9th of August!!!

This loss could actually be a really good thing for AEK, even though we were only playing with our youngsters, it will bring the whole squad back down to earth, and make sure they arent complacent for the Hearts game!!

Archived