Phantis Forums

Euro 2004

plato-ny

Two years ago, our Greek national team shocked the world by winning the EuroCup.

Our Greek NT set records in Euro/WC history: first team to defeat holders and hosts in same tournament, biggest underdog ever (100-1), first team to keep clean sheets in final 3 matches, oldest coach and first foreign coach to win a Euro/WC. Its also now even more amazing because Greece defeated France and Portugal and these are the same 2 teams who are meeting each other in the WC semi 2 years later.

Lets look back:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

June 25, 2004: (Quarterfinals):

France-Greece 0-1

July 1, 2004: (Semifinals):

Czech Republic-Greece 0-1 (Overtime)

July 4, 2004: (Finals):

Portugal-Greece 0-1

Euro 2004 trophy presentation:

http://www.mentessidis.net/Euro/Euro/Euro2004trophy.rm

On the other hand, it's been two years since this great accomplishment, and Greek soccer is worse off. All those visions of a better domestic league with superior play and competition is everything but that.

We all thought this Euro Championship would change the state of soccer in Greece, but it's done nothing to the game.

Scene's from Livadia, OAKA, Greek Cup in '05 have been some of the truly ugly moments of the game since 2004. And now this, FIFA banning Greece from all international competition.

When will things change for the better??? Maybe we need an investigation just like the Italians are dealing with right now??

this will always be one of the proudest moments of my life..i hate to get all sappy but this was such a beautful moment for me persoanlly and for all the greeks all around the world..i will never forget the feeling i had when the final whistle blew..i was standing in my house in evia with my hands on my head in total disbelief..it is truly a shame it did not have a huge change on our dmestic league and we have not been able to find that sort of form since, but mb thats what makes it so sweet...such a small nation with such passionate fans and such a love for football, struggling for all those years to finally be able to hold our heads high and be proud of a football achievement..its a truly beautiful thing..everyone who was saying how lucky we were..mb we were lucky to an extent, but you could see how hard our players had work..how much passion and how much effort it took for a country such as greece to achieve something so great..regarldess of our defesive nature r anything that happend it that tournament, it will be a moment i believe greece may never be a part of again..mb we will, mb we wont, but i am proud and happy that i got to expereince this sort of feeling in my lifetime and i will take those moments with me to my grave..

ELLAS OLE OLE!!! 2004, a summer we as greek will all never forget!

this will always be one of the proudest moments of my life..i hate to get all sappy but this was such a beautful moment for me persoanlly and for all the greeks all around the world..i will never forget the feeling  i had when the final whistle blew..i was standing in my house in evia with my hands on my head in total disbelief..it is truly a shame it did not have a huge change on our dmestic league and we have not been able to find that sort of form since, but mb thats what makes it so sweet...such a small nation with such passionate fans and such a love for football, struggling for all those years to finally be able to hold our heads high and be proud of a football achievement..its a truly beautiful thing..everyone who was saying how lucky we were..mb we were lucky to an extent, but you could see how hard our players had work..how much passion and how much effort it took for a country such as greece to achieve something so great..regarldess of our defesive nature r anything that happend it that tournament, it will be a moment  i believe greece may never be a part of again..mb we will, mb we wont, but i am proud and happy that i got to expereince this sort of feeling in my lifetime and  i will take those moments with me to my grave..

ELLAS OLE OLE!!! 2004, a summer we as greek will all never forget!

Hi Pao123,

I really liked your post file, its touching and I can relate to it. I can just imagine you there with your hands on you're head and a happy, disbelieving look on your face!

This is a bit long but I'll write it anyway. For me personally it was also a special moment, and as shallow as it may sound, its probably the best period of my life. I grew up in London in an area where there was very little contact with other Greeks, however, my parents instilled the Hellenic way and even as a child I was Greek to the bone. And being sportsmad I would support all Greek clubs in Europe in the hope that they'd acheive something big one day, always to huge disappintment.

Being around Englishmen, Italians, etc, I would be subject to a number of jokes. For example, when I graduated from High School this English dude signed my yearbook saying "keep sleeping well, so you can keep dreaming that Greece might actually win a game one day." So when we qualified against N.Ireland, I was on the internet for at least one hour a day reading up on Greece's build up to Euro 2004, EVERYDAY(!), I s%$#! you not! When the first game FINALLY came and we won I was sooooo proud. I ran the phone bill up to astronomical levels to boast!! :rolleyes: and after the first week I remember telling my friends that I didnt fear anyone, much to their amusement! After we'd qualified to the 1/8 and my near-stroke against Russia :unsure: I would go and play football and commentate for example, if I remember scoring and shouting "CHARISTEAAAAAAAAAAAS! Greece lead the French, phenomenal!!!" I was driving everyone crazy! So imagine what I was like when we made it to the final.

That day me and my brother got our faces painted, wore Greek flags as capes and walked home, coincidently, through some Turkish areas, and it seemed everyone was wearing a Portugal shirt. I only stopped to place a

I agree a lot with Ethnikitsi.....

That could very well have been the greatest day of my life...Unbeleivable. I know it could sound sad that its over football, but something like that is truly amazing... Only really other Greeks can understand how special it was on that day- not even our kids/generations to come will understand...

But for me the best moment was definitly vs Czech Rep. I know its not as big as the final, but it was still in the point of doubt really... When that goal went in the last minute....couldnt beleive it....I almost killed myself celebrating, i jumped on a wall and almost fell into the sea, then proceeded to run through traffic of mixanakia dodging fireworks.... The final for some reason was from an Enlgish channel :tdown: this was in GREECE btw... but I was in the only place with a big screen an "English" Pub...

I didnt beleive Greece would win in the final....it was too good to be true, I was sad before the final because I just didnt want to get my hopes up...It also seemed so damn unfair because Portugal wouldnt have deserved to win it... I mean they do nothing for two years while Greece overcomes so much to qualify, then they get 5 matches with home advantage to go the final...It just seems crappy for host teams to win tournaments.

But they did, and celebrations were again crazy...the next day I went back to Athens to the Kallimarmaro... never seen so many people in one place in my life....it was near impossible to get in...i had to climb up the hill and then climb up the wall just to squeeze in!!! And then waited several hours for the bus to get there...but the entrance was really amazing...it went up in tremendous screams and smoke fireworks, sea of flags, horns and cheering....NOWHERE else in this world does nearly all the city crowd around the bus and meet in a century old public stadium with all the most prominent politicians, religious leaders, musicians and celebrities (despoina vandi was leading Ellas ole chants).....Even watching the reception of the team in Roma for the Italians.....not comparable...

there is a video clip circulating on the internet that i took with my camera....it is of the stadium chanting "natoi! natoi! oi prota8lhtes!! and the place in smoke...

I agree a lot with Ethnikitsi.....

That could very well have been the greatest day of my life...Unbeleivable. I know it could sound sad that its over football, but something like that is truly amazing... Only really other Greeks can understand how special it was on that day- not even our kids/generations to come will understand...

But for me the best moment was definitly vs Czech Rep. I know its not as big as the final, but it was still in the point of doubt really... When that goal went in the last minute....couldnt beleive it....I almost killed myself celebrating, i jumped on a wall and almost fell into the sea, then proceeded to run through traffic of mixanakia dodging fireworks.... The final for some reason was from an Enlgish channel :tdown: this was in GREECE btw... but I was in the only place with a big screen an "English" Pub...

I didnt beleive Greece would win in the final....it was too good to be true, I was sad before the final because I just didnt want to get my hopes up...It also seemed so damn unfair because Portugal wouldnt have deserved to win it... I mean they do nothing for two years while Greece overcomes so much to qualify, then they get 5 matches with home advantage to go the final...It just seems crappy for host teams to win tournaments.

But they did, and celebrations were again crazy...the next day I went back to Athens to the Kallimarmaro... never seen so many people in one place in my life....it was near impossible to get in...i had to climb up the hill and then climb up the wall just to squeeze in!!! And then waited several hours for the bus to get there...but the entrance was really amazing...it went up in tremendous screams and smoke fireworks, sea of flags, horns and cheering....NOWHERE else in this world does nearly all the city crowd around the bus and meet in a century old public stadium with all the most prominent politicians, religious leaders, musicians and celebrities (despoina vandi was leading Ellas ole chants).....Even watching the reception of the team in Roma for the Italians.....not comparable...

there is a video clip circulating on the internet that i took with my camera....it is of the stadium chanting "natoi! natoi! oi prota8lhtes!! and the place in smoke...

Sounds excellent! Wish I was there. I recorded a total of 9 hours of celebrations from the tv and I've never seen scenes like it anywhere! You're right the scenes in Rome pale in comparison... they were quite crap really! You're also right about the fact that no one else can understand it. We're sooo lucky to have experienced it!

Archived