Phantis Forums

How to change '04 into '94; Choking For Dummies

What a truly phucked-display. I've never been more ashamed to watch a Greek national team play, except during WC '94 where they came, shilled, and effed off back to the motherland for some retsina and mounakia.

Of course it's just a friendly, but to put out such a shyte display of football for almost 100,000 people, many of whom made the trip to Melbourne from various other countries, that's the last straw.

Kudos to Australia, who used this game the way it should have been used; as practice for the World Cup, something we missed out on (you'd think we'd have something to prove by missing out on it) by the way!

I never want to see Charisteas, Karagounis, and Nikopolidis on the pitch again, unless it's for their retirement ceremonies.

Ditto Mr. Reheggel; Alas, Otto, we hardly knew ye, but the opposition knows you too well.

:tdown:

For starters the 2004 squad are FAR better than the 1994 squad.

We can all understand our frasturation over this humiliating loss vs. Australia, let's not go too far in comparing the Greek NT 10 years apart. Of course it's a damn shame for Greeks all over Australia & from all parts of the world to witness a match without passion, heart, and determination. :nono:

You mentioned these 3 players, I personally love to have Karagounis & Charisteas as bench players, NOT starters. Nikopolidis MUST go! He's too old to pull off heroics like in Euro 2004. :box:

My 3 players who should NEVER play for Hellas ever again are Kyrgiakos, Vyntras, & Lymberopoulos.

its funny how everyone has become a coach for the greek national team AFTER they won euro!!

Having an opinion its not becoming a coach,adelfe

I travelled all the way from sydney to see this game and its very upsetting to the national team show no interest in this game.

They didn't even try to play soccer on the night, they just wan't to push the ball around. Players like karagounis, basinas and others didn't even want to win fifty fifty balls on the field.

If this is the attitude of these players, then just bring over the under 21 squad instead. Its seems that if there is no economic benefit to them in the game, then they do not care.

Its quite clear that this game meant nothing to them, just a free trip to australia. There is no more pride in wearing the national shirt, unless there is money in it.

The only positive thing on the night was dellas performance. Just back on injury he played a solid game in defence and showed his class. He is an intergral part of the team and without him our qualification chances are slim.

If we had him htru qualifies, I am sure we would be in germany for qualifies.

Another important note on the night, only dellas,giannakopoulos, nikopolidis and samaras went to the supporters at the end of the game and acknowledged them.

The others just disappeared in dressing room. Nptropi sas malakes........

The others just disappeared in dressing room. Nptropi sas malakes........

Mi grafeis tetoia pramata.gia ta alla de leo eheis dikio,alla min trelenesai de tha rthoun na syzitisetai kiolas

its funny how everyone has become a coach for the greek national team AFTER they won euro!!

Well once you win something, you are expected to win something again. The fact that our country is falling behind the way it used to be proves how inconsistent it is, which also proves how Otto should change the team

that is an overstatement, to start a new now it would mean no chance at euro 08. Cmon seriously, you can not put the weight on the shoulders of a bunch of guys under 22. Besides they couldn't do it at the under-21 level or any youth level, why would they be able to qualify on the senior level? Atleast with the guys at euro 04, they did something at a youth level, made the final of the under-18 champinoship. You're asking too much from those who aren't capable at the moment. Anyone who says Samaras was better than Charisteas against Australia should shoot themselves, he was too nervous, he made only one decent pass and it was a back pass, he had a header on net that went somehow the opposite way, his first touch was too heavy and the australian defenders were all over him he had no space (somehting belaruss and Kazakhstan couldn't do was close down space on our players) ... too nervous and its expected, he's never played in front of 100000 people. Nonetheless Charisteas was crap, but I liked him over Samaras in that game barnone.

Vryzas is going to be recalled for qualifying, and he should be. Tatically he is a better option than any other striker we have and its not for his goalscoring abitlities... its everything else he brings upfront. He can be covered by 3 guys and still manage to keep the ball and allow the team to move in on goal, he wins fouls honestly, good in the air wins balls for the most part, not bad defencively he can win the ball back if he loses it. He has a great work ethic, and isn't the kind of player who just gives up. Right now I see him as a better option than Samaras, Gekas or Salp... for tatical reason and because he can hold his nerves better those guys. Amanatidis hopefully will be given more of a chance, he had no input in the australia game.

What's the problem with Nikopolidis? who'd you rather have in net, Chalkias, Kotsolis, Sifakis... Nikopolidis is the best we'll have for years so stop whinning and get used to it. It's not a choice, we don not have quality youth players and we don't have players ready for the big time, in a few years I'd say its possible, but now no. Look at France, look at Germany... France only made through qualifying thanks to Zidane's and Thuram's return. Germany is a joke, they lost to Turkey, lost to Italy 4-1. Fact is every team spot is up for grabs, anyone who performs will get it. But like I said its silly to expect the young guys to really be better than guys who have been together already for more than 3 years and who have made amazing accomplishements. Wait in a year or 2 for some new guys to maybe have a bigger part in the team, as now is not the time for some of them.

Archived