Phantis Forums

Odyssey TV (Canada) Question

Hi,

Anyone here from Canada know the owners of Odyssey TV or anyone they know who knows them? Just wondering if they have any plans to increase the amount of programming from ERT??

I have heard that a company called Ethnic Channels inc. has plans to launch 3 Greek channels next fall, if they get licenses from the CRTC (So ERT Sat may finally be available). So far they have recieved licence approval for quite a few different channels (Russian, Polish, Ukrainian, Asian, etc.) I am curious as to what these 3 channels may be? Does anyone know how long the agreements between Odyssey & Mega and Antenna are?? Personally I think they are Antenna, ERT and Mega but Antenna & Mega are available through Odyssey?! Perhaps one of the channels will be Alpha Sat? They will be applying for these channels in December from what I have been told, I hope they are approved!

Does anyone have any info. about any of this?

Sorry, I can't be of much help on this matter. My guess would be that the three channels are ERT-Sat, Mega Cosmos and Antenna Satellite. I suppose Alpha Sat might be also one of the three, replacing one of tyhe above mentioned channels. Other than those 4 channels, there are no other Greek language satellite channel available anywhere in the world.

Well, regarding the 2 Odyssey channels, Odyssey provides primarily Antenna programming with Ert programming sprinkled in, while Odyssey 2 is Mega Cosmos under a different name.

HellasHab, I believe the company is owned by the Maniatakos family, the same family that owns the Toronto greek cable-fm radio station, CHCR.

I truly hope your information on the Ethnic Channels company is correct. A little competition would go very far in terms of consumers receiving a better product. Frankly, the service provided by Odyssey is sub-par at best. But since Odyssey already provides programming from 3 of the 4 greek satellite networks available, the issue of rights might come into play.

Thanks for the replies.

MikeS, I am glad someone agrees with me that Odyssey is not very good, first rate shall we say. I had Odyssey 1 around the time it first started showing programming from Antenna and I was not impressed and shortly thereafter I cancelled my subsrciption. I would like to see more from ERT, but the owners (yes it is the Maniatakos family) don't care at all about the viewers.

I also hope that this company is successful and I am praying that ERT, Mega and Antenna will be available here as they are in the U.S.- complete channels not some chopped up crap. I want the channel in its entirety. I was told by someone at this company that they are in negotiations currently and that if the channels launch they will cost pretty much the same as the Odyssey channels cost. I hope that perhaps Odyssey's agreements with the 3 channels end soon thus allowing this company to reach New deals with them.

Archived