Phantis Forums

Who here agrees?

Olympiakara10

Outside of Olympiakos, Panathinaikos, AEK, Xanthi, PAOK. Iralkis and maybe Larissa, we'll never really see any other team compete in the greek league....ever. C'mon now. Look at some of the teams: Akratitos, Panionios, OFI(hard times), Aigaleo, etc. These teams will never even come close to winning the greek league, let alone competing in Champions League. Maybe I have a grim outlook but I think it's the sad truth. Because of this, I think the stance of Greek soccer in Europe is not the best because our league is pretty weak outside of the top 3: Oly, PAO, AEK. We need more funders in Greece, more millionares.

I remember times when Apollon Athens, Aris and even Aigaleo had teams to be reckoned with.

I remember Proodeftiki finishing 4th, Pierikos being the top team of the eparchia...

Times change. A good fournia of players, a rich owner and other factors could make a good side out of most teams in Greece.

Btw, in the late 1960s I thought that no team outside AEK, PAO, OSFP would ever win the championship in Greece...

Maybe what the sport needs is equality of players. Maybe there needs to be a limit of foreign based players vs Greek.

It's going to be tough though because Greek soccer is ALWAYS going to be going for the "european spots" so therefore the "Big 3" are always going to be there.

If you want equality in Greek Soccer it has to come w/ their Youth Squads and Academy Teams. We need to produce more and more great young talent to creat a more fresh and exciting protathlima...

There are about a million things that we can all think of and recommend but another great start is to mimic another great league and mirror it (English - German - Spanish) as far as STRUCTURE, that's the key my friend. And with time all will come and fit into the right mold.

Archived