Phantis Forums

Gagatsis upset with Otto

Guest Protathlitis7

Guest Protathlitis7

I read in the paper that Gagatsis (Im sorry I couldnt find a link) has had some firm words Otto because he is spending all his time in Germany and perceives hes not doing enough work with the naitonal team. apparently he claims that if we didnt got to saudi arabia the team would have had no playing time together at all and Otto would have never left Germany.

Apparently Otto also asked if he could coach Cologne to save them from relegation until the end of the season

Im worried about Otto these days after he has a shocking WC qualifying campaign IMO. No doubt we should progress from our group but Im not sure with Otto and what he could acheive in 2008

Hopefully there are many changed to be made still. Imagine is Samaras is still not called up and he just became one of the most highly paid Greek players ever :blink: . Amanatidis, Lagos, Tziolis, Kyriakos, Tavlaridis all need to be brought in to the team on a permanent basis

Zagorakis will be playing his last game against Australia and we will give him a proper send off

Basinas, Anatolakis, Fyssas, Vryzas should not be in the squad as we should only be thinking baout euro 2008

Guest Protathlitis7

Fyssas is pretty old dude. I think hes like 33 which means he'll be 35/36 at euro. even now he is not playing well

As luck would have it we have a quality player in Lagos to play left back

.............................Antonakis....................................

Seitaridis...........Dellas.........Kyriakos/ Tavlaridis.............Lagos

Karagounis.........Katsouranis.......????.............Giannakopoulos

.......................Samaras.........Charisteas/amanatidis/Salp/pap/mantzios

aek66

When we won in Spain, Stelios played also on the left side and he even scored.....

I think, I m not sure though, he played also in Portugal mostly in the left side...

My opinion is, we did not qualify... because .. the guys were not anymore hungry..., lack of practice in September

As we never were a high standard team from the playing culture, we needed to have always this extra drive... but winning the Euro in Portugal... , all lot of motivation was off...

Also a player like Tsiartas in his good days.. helped always the team...

Dellas ,kyriakos and Taylaridis are not very quick players,we need someone that can run,like Kapsis or Katsouranis at that position.Right now we have no playmaker,Karagounis isn't playing with his team .We need a left back also.For the next 6 months the team should be:

Nikopolidis

Seitaridis or Kapsis fyssas

Mayrogenidis Kyriakos

Basinas

Giannakopoylos Katsouranis Karagounis or

Lagos

Charisteas Samaras or

Salpiggidis Mantzios

Bench:Bryzas,Papadopoulos,Koklonis,lakis,Dellas.

We can't lose Zagorakis, we don't have anyone at the moment who can replace him and when the team plays without him they play terrible. I really hope he reconsiders. I remember this one time, before euro 04 Greece played the Dutch. They lost 4-0. All the goals came in the second half, all of them after Zagorakis was subbed off. I'm afraid that if he goes, this will happen again.

I think kapsis is still able to run in the CB position, he is consistent and he does a bang up job on covering some dangerous players, he was great against shevchenko.

As far as Vryzas goes, he's still good. He has proven himself consistently in many leagues and against great opposition. Greece in essence has had problems scoring, but I hardly think guys like Salpiggidis will solve our problems, atleast not instantly. Mantzios, Pap and Salp all should have scored during the LG cup. But once Otto finds a way to get those guys to play at their optimal level we might see some goals.

Aek66 is bang on - about left footers

I don't think we can come close to replacing Zagorakis - he was special - look at how poor we play with him playing at his current level - so we must improve other ways and by having more balance from left to right can be a huge plus

Fyssas - may still be able to play I haven't seen him in Scotland but he is a wiley vet

Then there is Darlas =- Lagos and Leonitou all 22 or younger - one of them will pan out

Everyone want youth well this is a younger - well at least a mix of young - but feasible 11 - plus ages

Nikopolidis 34

Giorkas -24

Dellas - 30

Antzas 29

Darlas 22

Basinas 30

Katsouranis 26

Lagos 20

Stelios -31

Charisteas -25

Samaras -20

Guest Protathlitis7

I agree we have a problem aek66 but Stelios has been one of our best performances since the last euro qualifiyers and he has always played on the left. so if he plays on the left we will get a 3rd fourth play finish :la:

it doesnt matter the exact position from which he scored against spain.

I would rather play Karagounis where I put those question marks but I dont see another option.

I really think if Fyssas plays in euro 2008 we are pretty much farked Can you imagine him trying to defend and even go past the half way line at euro? He was a great left back and had the tournament of his life at euro 2004. but this will be 2008 my freind

You are right though this would be the ideal midfield

Stelios....Katsouranis.....Karagounis.....Lagos

but who is the left back...

...and dont say Fyssas please :P

Maybe Darlas, he is not good enough right now but I guess by the time of the tournament he could have tuned himself to be good enough.

btw, Leontiou will play for Cyprus not Greece wont he???

Guest Protathlitis7

stelios may have started on the left, but he is very uneffective on the left. stelios was injured in portugal...his only effective match was against czech,

:blink: :blink:

are you serious? Stelios wasnt effective at euro? only against the czechs?

Only old players worth possibly keeping around until euro 2008/qualifying provided they maintain a form which is acceptable are Giannakopoulos, Karagounis, Dellas, and Nikopolidis

By the way Nikopolidis is still the best Greek keeper, currently most of our goalies except for Kotsolis are not experienced enough, and for the most part goalies dont hit there peaks until the age of 28 and are good till there mid 30's look at Schmikael, Kahn, Canizarez, Toldo etc ( these are top keepers who played until there mid to late 30's and were still good).

Any way from out euro 2004 team this is who i think should be dropped and added

Nikopolidis- in

Chalkias out- Kotsolis in

Katergiannakis out- Sifakis or Abaris in

Kapsis out- Tavlaridis in

goumas out- Kyriakos in

Venetidis out- Taralidis in

Fyssas out- ?????Vyntra ( even though he is a RB still a solid young player)

Seitaridis in

Katsouranis in

Karagounis in

Giannakopoulos in

Zagorakis out- Tziolis in

Tsartas out- Leontiou in

Kafes out- Fotakis in

Georgiadis out- Skopelitis in

Lakis out- Lagos in

Charisteas out- Sammras in

Vyrzas out- Mantzios in

Nikolaidis out(retired)- Amanatidis in

Papadopoulos or Salpiggidis

In addition these young players are starting to get more playing time now, and are being looked at in high regard by european clubs.

All we are missing is a solid #10... maybe fotakis can fill that void as a play maker?

what do you guys think?

PS potential 11ada Euro 08 qual

Nikopolidis

Giourkas(Vyntra) Dellas(Tavlari) Kyriakos Taralidis

Giannakopoulos Karagounis(Fotakis or Skop)Katsouranis(tziolis) Lagos(Leontiou)

Sammaras Mantzios

Guest Protathlitis7

Skopelitis is really nothing special at all even though he plays abroad and everything. he should not be called

Also am I wrong about Leontiou?? will he play for Greece proper?

I read in the paper that Gagatsis (Im sorry I couldnt find a link) has had some firm words Otto because he is spending all his time in Germany and perceives hes not doing enough work with the naitonal team. apparently he claims that if we didnt got to saudi arabia the team would have had no playing time together at all and Otto would have never left Germany.

Apparently Otto also asked if he could coach Cologne to save them from relegation until the end of the season

Im worried about Otto these days after he has a shocking WC qualifying campaign IMO. No doubt we should progress from our group but Im not sure with Otto and what he could acheive in 2008

Hopefully there are many changed to be made still. Imagine is Samaras is still not called up and he just became one of the most highly paid Greek players ever :blink: . Amanatidis, Lagos, Tziolis, Kyriakos, Tavlaridis all need to be brought in to the team on a permanent basis

Zagorakis will be playing his last game against Australia and we will give him a proper send off

Basinas, Anatolakis, Fyssas, Vryzas should not be in the squad as we should only be thinking baout euro 2008

I cannot believe people want Basinas out! He has made mistakes against Ukraine and Kazak but he was being played out of position! He works hard, wins so many challenges in important areas of the field, he can pass, and has a great shot from distance (which he doesn't use enough). I'm an Olympiakos fan and I'm saying this! BASINAS IS ONE OF OUR BETTER PLAYS AND HE SHOULD BE IN THE TEAM!

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Hi everyone.

---------------------------Nikopilidis----------------------

Seitaridis---------Katsouranis--------Dellas--------Fyssas

Stelios-------------Basinas--------Karagounis-------Lagos

-------------------Charisteas--------Salpingidis---------

Samaras still has to prove his worth He's only scored 25 goals in 88 games in Holland. He has to prove his worth in the Prem before he can play at international level! If he does this before the end of the season then he should go in for Salp. Another option would be to play Stelios up front with Kafes going in on the right! All the talk about Tavlidis, Tzolis, etc. Is dumbfounded, they are not good enough yet for international football!

re Basinas

not doubt he will be a valued member of the next 2 years - maybe even captain

I agree with AEK66 Stelios was not too much of a factor - except vs Czech

But I think that is good news - what we lost offensively with retirements and departures can be filled partly by this guy who has been one of the best wingers in England - if not the best

Let him play on the right!!!!! So he can kick some ass and play as well as he possibly can

Up front there are a lot of young guns - and on the good side only 1 or 2 have stand up - I think Charisteas will stillbe a huge part of the team the key will be finding the player(s) that ech best with him

Any way from out euro 2004 team this is who i think should be dropped and added

Nikopolidis- in

Katergiannakis out- Sifakis or Abaris in

goumas out- Kyriakos in

Venetidis out- Dellas in

Fyssas out- ?????Vyntra ( even though he is a RB still a solid young player)

Seitaridis in

Katsouranis in

Karagounis in

Giannakopoulos in

Tsartas out- Leontiou in

Kafes out- Fotakis in

Georgiadis out- Skopelitis in

Lakis out- Lagos in

Charisteas out- Sammras in

Vyrzas out- Mantzios in

Nikolaidis out(retired)- Amanatidis in

Papadopoulos or Salpiggidis

Nikopolidis

Giourkas(Vyntra)          Dellas(Tavlari)    Kyriakos          Taralidis

Giannakopoulos    Karagounis(Fotakis or Skop)Katsouranis(tziolis) Lagos(Leontiou)

Sammaras                  Mantzios

This is what i think: (adjustments done in Bold)

Nikopolidis- in

Katergiannakis out- Sifakis

goumas out- Kyriakos in

Venetidis out- Dellas in

Fyssas/Darlas both in

Seitaridis in

Katsouranis in

Karagounis in

Giannakopoulos in

Tsartas out- Leontiou in

Kafes out Stoltidis in

Georgiadis out Lagos in

Lakis out- Basinas (his 29 years old with a club now) in

Charisteas in

Sammras in

Vyrzas out- Mantzios in

Amanatidis in

Salpiggidis in

Nikopolidis

Giourkas(Vyntra) Tavlaridis(Dellas) Kyriakos Fyssas/Darlas

Giannakopoulos Karagounis(Stoltidis) Katsouranis(tziolis/Basinas) Lagos(Leontiou)

Sammaras/Amanatidis Mantzios

:gr: :gr: :gr:

Well, my team would be:-

Kotsolis

Darkas Vyntra Tavlaridis Seitiradis

Tziolis

Salpigidis Theodoris

lagos

Gekas Amantaids

Subs:- Sifakis,Krygiakos, Katsouranis, Samaras, Papadopolous.

And, it would be a 4-1-2-1-2, with 4 defenders, 1 DM, 2 wingwers and 1 CAM and obviously 2 strikers. The average age of this squad would be pretty young. The total age of the team is 248, which makes an average of 248/11=22.5454545454545455. That is looking ahead to the future. And, you definitely need to be more attacking as well.

Archived