Phantis Forums

Topalidi as Coach?

greeksoccerfanatic

According to Balla.Gr Otto has said that he nominates assistant Topalidi to take the reins as coach of our Ethniki, with Otto staying 'around' and being "texnikos symboulos ths omadas". If this is true, which I think is all media b ullshit, then we are heading in the wrong direction. Otto must stay and lead us into Austria/Switzerland 2008, and let us defend our title. Only thing I would expect out of Otto this time around is to work on our offensive game, and step away from the defensive mentality. Lets see what he can do with the 'new' breed, but we still have to wait for his decision, which will come in about a months time.

HELL NO ! this is the last thing we need. I would like Otto to stay but with the udnerstanding that he accetps to bring in new blood and if need be bury the hatchet w/Zikos. If he leaves then all bets are off and we start fresh without his shadow hanging over us. From what I've heard Topalidis is partly to blame for the selection problems we've bitched about .

if i know one thing about otto, then the selection problems were otto in his purest form. otto doesn t change easily. at werder he had a really old team, one striker i believe was about 35 and a defender (bratseth) played until his 40s.

i rehagel believes in you, he believes in you.thats the good part. he had a goalkeeper(reck) at werder who made nikopolidis-style mistakes often, never did he change him.

otto is extremly stubborn.once you are out you are out, so there is no hope of azikos return as long as otto is in charge.

i think topalidis wouldnt be a bad idea. only that the players could in the long run lack respect for him, the respect they have for otto because he achieved so much in club football. remember though that otto speaks no greek and i believe little to no english, so it is safe to say that topalidis has a lot of influence right, he is the one that communicates everything with the players. otto cant...

Topalidis has no gravitas, no street cred. I would love Didier to come but let's face it guys our histroy of political meddling with our NT will not be an appealing prospect for someone like him. He has been rumored as a potential coach for Real Madrid and other teams so why would he come to a team that fell off the cliff ?

Unfortunately, I can not name other prospective coaches who have the pedigree and who would be willing to come. What we have going for us is the automatic qualification for Euro 2008 and the fact that not being in the WC means the coach has extra time to evlaute and plan, but will that be enough ? Do we realistically have the potential talent pool for the future or did we max out with the rpesent generation of players ?

if you believe that topalidis is just a translator you are dead wrong...

I believe that was his job on the NT. To be a communications tool between Otto and the players.

I know he wasn't strictly a translator, but tell me what coaching credentials does he have? Who has he coached before coming to the national team?

i believe topalidis did most of the work...the tactics&selection were done by otto but the training is topalidis...

topalidis coached amateur sides in germany...that doesn t mean he sucks though..he doesn t have the street cred but on the other hand who cares...mourinho didn t have real street cred prior to taking over at porto.

but if you want a name i would say guus hiddink, unlikely arrigo sachi or matthias sammer.

@rodoj. we are not qualified for euro08

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

WE HAVE SAID IT NUMEROUS TIMES. NEVER TRUST TRA-BALLA.GR.

Oi an8rwpoi grafoun m*****es kat'epanalhpsh. Oi idioi den grapsane mia mera prin to mats me thn Georgia oti o Rehagel menei?

Auto to site aksizei na to diavazei kaneis gia tis m*****es pou grafei kai na gelaei. Einai to mono site pou einai enantiwn olwn.

Let's wait for a while and see what Otto decides. It is futile to blather about one "journalist's" scenario!

An o OTTO apofasise na fygei. TOPALIDIS IS THE BEST to substitute as he knows the team and the players and has good influence from OTTO without being as stubborn.

Excellent Solution. If it doesn't work, lets thing about Deschamps

:gr:

Archived