Phantis Forums

Platini lecturing Greek National Team

Exocet

Guest PAOVaggos

Platini did say basically that there were only two good teams last year. We need to beat Denmark and Georgia to get to a playoff. Otherwise, forget it.

They do need to wake up and I think all of them need to come back to Greece and play in A Ethniki where they belong and were they can bring the game up in the league and be visible to the youth.

Guest Protathlitis

kostoulas (terrible centerback)

THANKS YOU

I've been using those exact words to describe Kostoulas for too long now somebosy has agreed with me :nw:

This big guy mentality by the Spanish French and English cracks me up - the fact is they do crap all in general in the big tourneys - the English win 1 world cup at home and the farthest they have ever gone in EURO is the semis - France had their run in the late 90's (at home for Mondial I might add) useless in WC 2002 and mediocre in Portugal - the Spaniards are absolutly useless in any tourney and we beat the s**** out of them in Spain and the French in Portugal -

The supporters of these countries - and let me throw in the Dutch - always yap like their teams are the favourites in beig tourneys and compare themselves to the Germans, Italians, Argentinians and Brazilians - no freaking way they compare to these teams

Platini should learn how to say no to a forth helping of crepes and think about why he has to go to Kazakstan to have an audience to clap for him - screw him :gr:

Platini should shut his mouth, when we played France it wasn't just defence that won the game. If you remember or have a tape of the game we had a goal disallowed (Bartiz stopped it right on the line) and a crossbar from Fyssas, plus the legitimate goal we scored.

It bothers Platini because he goes to his cocktail parties and has no braging rights whatsever, they belong to the Greek diplomats for the next four years.

Further for those Greeks who think we should not disrespect a legend like Platini, think again. If he was so full of class and a real legend, he would not be talking trash.

Remember when the Greeks were building western civilization and their Empire, the Gauls were hugging trees.

Stand up Greeks, in this matter civility is overated!

Peace,

and will lock us up for 400 years. kahmeve..

Im sorry i dont get it...is this supposed to be funny...are you referencing the 400 years we were made slaves under the uncivilized and barbaric society of the ottoman empire? that is bullshit bro, how can you joke about something like that, every time i try to be civilized, talk soccer, and discuss something in a civilized way someone does s%$#! like this......

This should be about football...but I am tired of lunatics playing with history to make a point. Usually in making this point they give Hellenism a bad name!

If we are determined to refer to history then we should all make the effort to attain, at the very least, a minimal level of information. We all refer to the legacy of Hellenic antiquity (which coincidentally has nothing to do with football!) with such nostalgia and pride...but in my experience very few of us Hellenes in Greece and in the Diaspora have actually picked up the works of Aristotle, Plato, Thucydides, or Homer with any intention of reading and comprehending these significant woks of literature---most Greeks just flash them as a badge culture when they are not using them as decorations on their coffee tables or in their bookshelves. Any civilization that was fostered during the Golden Age in Athens was undone by overzealous imperialists who were of Greek origin themselves: Athens and later Makedonia. As for taking offence to the Ottoman occupation, this is a serious charge and if you dont know what you are protesting against dont bother!...you just do injustice to the truth and we usually end up missing the point. Fact: More Greeks were fighting on the Turkish side of the seige of Constantinople than in the defence of the Great City itself. By the time the capital fell, the Byzantine Empire had been reduced to fighting the Sultans wars and whoring itself out for Catholic assistance! If it wasn't the Turks it would have been someone else. Granted, the next 400 years did unfold under occupation (although not as brutally that some nationalists would like everyone to believe), and Greece did miss out on the benefits of the Renissaince, but lets not forget the numerous destructive GREEK dictaitorships that GREEKS endorsed throughout the twentieth century; or better yet, the Greek fascist supporters who stood alongside Nazi trash just last week in the same streets where democracy was born and was later assaulted by Hitler's killing machine!

Blind pride has its heart in the right place, but it only detracts from the beauty of Hellenism :angry:

buddy i dont think he was implying we won with only spirit and we didnt practice and train and all that nonsense...its obvious this team was prepared to play four quarters as in most games towards the end we pulled away cuz we were trained well........and greek spirit is something to be proud of ...it implies not what you said but that we as the underdogs, fight and fight and claw are way to the top....we had no nba stars and everyone was talking about lith and france and so on.....with hard work, giannakis on the bench , and the greek spirit, the spirit of a lion we overcame a tough france, and beat up on everyone else for four quarters at a time...............the greek spirit my friend is one of a warrior...think about a bunch of 20 somethings just won the euro basketball championship.....and they left everything on the court..........Mpravo paidia kai Giannakis eisai trella re paidi mou

miko i see what your trying to say but my friend its funny how you say things about our history as if you were their...how do you know more greeks were fighting with the turks for const. than your defending it? im sure its not in a history book, and as for the dictatorships and all that, almost every country has gone through a period like that....and how do you know so many people endorsed it..of course their were a few that did and many greek fascists but that doesnt speak for a whole nation nor does it imply the majority of greeks were like this..i know that students were trampled and died for fighting the dictatorship and my whole family was in greece in the 60s and 70s and they tell a different story than yours, one you cant read in any books....you act like all of us are so misinformed and lack knowledge about our greek history , but it sounds like you are the one that is misinformed.....if not misinformed than very cynical....confused....where have you read the crap you said so i can read it for myself.....and as for the comment from aek about the 400 years and all that........looking back i got a little more pissed than i should of, but whether it be the turks or whoever is not the point...the point is we were oppressed by another nation, empire , culture, whatever you wanna call it and they tried to erradicate our culture, our religion, our language, they raped our women, killed our men, took babies and children as if they were their own and forced them and many others to convert or meet their makers......so when i read that post i gotta a little pissed cuz i didnt think it was funny, its like using 9/11 or the holocaust to make a joke...know what i mean...but i got over it.............so sorry if i came off as an a**hole.....

Thank you for your opinions Billy.

At no time in my post did I ever claim to be an expert on history or politics--even though these are the subjects of my studies-- but I am certainly not misinformed on the subjects I have discussed. As for the siege on Konstantinoupoli, no I was not there. As for the books--WHICH DO EXIST- form which I draw my information from, you should consult, "Byzantium" by Sir John Julius Norwich who happens to be one of the foremost authorities on Byzantine history. If you want a Greek historian, look up "The Balkan Wars" by Dr. Andre Gerolymatos; in both books you will get information that confirms there were more Greeks involved in the seige than in the defence of the City(they were mostly mercenaries, recent converts, and citizens of provinces which were Greek but under the influence of the Sultan...Incidentally, Mehmet, the Sultan who took the City, was half Greek!).

Regarding the dictaitorships, I agree that not all the Greeks supported all of Greece's dictaitors but many, I emphasize many, did support the Generals over the leftist alternatives. Greece, like many Balkan and other Eastern cultures, has a long tradition of authoritarian tendencies and leaderships: historians and political scientists attribute this to the difficulties endured by Democratic movements in these socities---this is a plausible theory which I endorse. (By the way, some of my own family members were among those that took part in the Polytechnic demonstrations and others like it)

Billy I am not confused; I haven't forgotten the occupation and subjugation of my people and culture; and I know that it is in the interests of Hellenism and humanity alike to avoid dwelling on ancient history while addressing the challenges of today!

Cheers

(I look forward to your response) :gr:

Hey guys...nice to see a civilized debate in here(i admit i have been in a few of the other kind :LOL: ) you guys make some good points and miko you have more than backed up some of your points...historical points......Aek i see your point too, where is this greek spirit when we lose?.....I dont know but i feel it is their when we win..do you know what i mean, but i believe from your previous posts and mine that we are agreeing to disagree.....i actually learned somethings in the process.....and a major part of our disagreement seems to be you think that people credit the greek spirit soley, but though they sound like that i dont think anyone is that naive to believe the greek spirit alone, for example, beat bremen today...though i admit it it does sound like that sometimes.......Guys, I dont believe in crediting our culture and history for our recent victories in sports, nor do i think we should dwell on history when facing the challenges of today, and we are quick to reference it in times of joy and accomplishment...shiiiiiiiit, i guess ill continue tomorrow, my dog justed pissed on my rug..shiiiiiiiiiiiit........sorry

Archived