Phantis Forums

Panathinaikos in DC?

jcoutavas

Does anybody know where one could watch Panathinaikos games in the DC area? I called DishNetwork to subscribe to ERT-SAT which I know carries home games but they said I would need to install another dish. Is there a Greek restaurant or pub in the DC area that would show games?

Living 30 minutes away from DC (and 25 from Baltimore), I can't say of any greek bar/resturant that would have ERT-SAT to watch Ethniki A. I can say though that if your looking to watch the Greek NT, Setanta does list places in the DC area that have Setanta and you can pay $20 to watch the NT games at those establishments.

Drakos13, good point about Baltimore, though the "Greektown" there is looking pretty old, rundown, and "invaded" by and is pretty much down to 2-3 blocks on Eastern Avenue. While there is a damn good greek resturant in Baltimore (Ikaros), i'd be surprised if they had a TV (and Ert-sat) for that matter. My hunch is something in DC may have it.

If you need help with getting to/from either city and/or stuff to do, post back. I'll help you out as best I can. Best of luck.

jcoutavas,

I am not sure about DC, but I have some experience with Dish Network which you seemed to have researched.

I lived in Baltimore for eight years and I agree with Wallofsoccer88 about the state of Greek town in Baltimore. I don't remember any places showing Greek TV, and Ikaros did not have a tv in the restaurant. I am not sure if something changed since I moved.

After many years in the US, I finally get to enjoy greek soccer on TV. I purchased the two dishes from Dish Network, and immediately I regretted not having them before. The expense of the second dish and the "switch" was a pain that I have already forgot about. Besides watching Panathinaikos, AEK, and Olympiakos every sunday, I get to see the Athlitiki Kyriaki for highlights of all the other championship games, as well as the highlights from the european leagues.

Champions League games are not broadcast regurarly since usually an american or hispanic channel owns the broadcast rights to north america. Some lesser games that these channels don't pick-up are being broadcast (like Pao-Wisla). Same goes for the Greek national team.

The only dissapointment so far has been the quality of the game itself. After many years of listening to the games on radio I tended to imagine a more suspenseful game. Actually seeing the players on the pitch is ... well, a let down :whistle: but that's another story.

Here is a page with some basic info on greek satellite tv in the us: http://www.greeklandscapes.com/greek-ameri...tellite-tv.html

regards,

cyberfish

No way! I didn't work in town last summer, I was off traveling quite a bit of the summer (lucky me :D :not: ). My parents do expect me to get a job next summer though <_< . No big deal, I'm curious to see what it would be like working downtown day-in, day-out :unsure: . Where did you work? I live here year-round.

You can PM me back to discuss this, since this thread is getting quite a bit off topic. Anybody else on this board from the DC/Baltimore area?

plus you can get a free superdish upgrade if you already have a dish...the catch, you must subscribe to one international package ( ie mega/ert/ant) and one entertainment package(ie americas top 60, 120 and so on).....................................but if you already have mtv and all that call them , tell them you want to upgrade to superdish and you will add the greek international package...... and just like that free superdish, plus dish has free "tivo" no monthly fee to record , pause, live tv....so you can replay all of paos goals in cl over and over and over and over.......

Archived