Phantis Forums

Why are so many Greek players out of contract?

Grigoris

The transfer period is quickly coming to a close and we still have a number of Greek players who have yet to find a team. Moreover, several leagues have either already started (France, Germany, Scotland) or are about to start (England). Potential key members of our NT are missing important club training and, even worse, are running the risk of not finding a team for the upcoming fall.

The following players are still looking for teams. Does anyone know the current status:

Dellas - last I hear he is rumored to be close to signing with AEK

Fyssas - close to signing with Hearts in Scotland

Kyriakos - close to signing with Schalke

Tsiartas - ???

Dabizas - ??? (I know he has fallen out with the NT, but still curious where he will go. Deals with Anderlecht and Celtic fell through.

One word my man

i don't really think so. dellas age 28-29, soto 25-26

dellas has lots of teams interested in him

Fyssas i'm confident will join hearts, same for soto/schalke

one player not listed is Basinas, he's the one i'm really worried about

last year post-euro several players left greece, this year it's not the same situation, they don't have the same kind of exposure.

One word my man

i don't really think so. dellas age 28-29, soto 25-26

dellas has lots of teams interested in him

Fyssas i'm confident will join hearts, same for soto/schalke

one player not listed is Basinas, he's the one i'm really worried about

last year post-euro several players left greece, this year it's not the same situation, they don't have the same kind of exposure.

Ok...... If you look at the list you'll see that the players haven't really performed since the Euro. They've actually been a bit dissapointing. They have either been hurt or have done nothing for their team.

If you and I were a player it would be difficult to find another team that would be interested in us.

These guys are going over the hill, and if they don't start producing no-one is going to be interested in them (abroad) and their last resort will be to come back to Greece.

A good example is Stelios Giannakopoulos..... He played great for Bolton last year and now he's been linked to Liverpool. Yeah there's alot of red tape now with him making this move but it's something that Liverpool looked at and said that this player can play and was "consistent through-out the year"...

Know what what I mean?

actually last season stelios started out very poorly and even big sam was criticising him but as the season wore on he got much better and became a very important player.

i see your point about players need to be consistent like tsartas who's looking for a club and charisteas and Giourkas have pissed me off since euro they're not consistent at all. it also depends what kind of players the coach likes that's how charisteas ended up in ajax even though he sucks but now yes some of them are getting over the hill.

Yes, I forgot about Basinas. Any definitive word on him? Some reports say that he is going to ride out the next six months with PAO and then go somewhere on a free transfer. That basically means six months of no action for him.

Also, can anyone confirm that Vryzas has returned to Fiorentina and will be on their roster for the upcoming season?

I believe the Fyssas deal with Hearts has been confirmed today.

On the other hand, the last report I saw regarding Kyriakos is that the deal with Schalke is not going to happen.

• 3 weeks later...

GIATI TIN EXOUN DEI OLOI PEXTARADES KAI BENTETES GIA AUTO...KAI OPOU PANE OI PERISOTEROI SKOUPIZOUN PAGKO(Xalkias,Skopelitis,Lakis,Eleftheropoulos,Katergianakis,Fyssas)..Elaxista ta paradeigmata pektos pou epiasan..Zikos se Monaco,Xaristeas se Verder,Maxlas paliotera,Dellas kai Ntabizas molis protobgikan ekso.

• 2 weeks later...

Basically they hardly ever produce anything when they're transferred (occasionally they screw up on purpose just to get back to Greece), and a lot of them go for the quick paycheck, for which I don't blame them.

But it makes the market worse for younger Greek players who would love the opportunity to play abroad. I think Stelios has proven to be the most cost-effective player at Bolton; although Demis got a few goals in at Atletico when he was paired with Torres--they were a great strike team for a while.

Panthira , mono oi kali paizoune,,,(demis, dellas, etc...) i upolpoipi axizoun pagko, ite einai kaliteri paixtes mprosta tous, i einai egoistes(basinas), i den axizoun sto exoteriko(lakis)....paradigma o machlas itan paixtaras kai evale ena soro goal, o basinas pou einai axristos kai de mpori na bgali corner den exei omada.............

• Argy locked this topic

Archived