Phantis Forums

Confed Cup: GREECE - Mexico

Ziaka

Charisteas and the other forward (Vyrsas?) should be coming off the bench. We need more speed up front. These two are good for about 30 minutes and have experience so being substitutes would be idea. The question is which two young players start in their place.

0-0 at half with Mexico

Charisteas and the other forward (Vyrsas?) should be coming off the bench. We need more speed up front. These two are good for about 30 minutes and have experience so being substitutes would be idea. The question is which two young players start in their place.

0-0 at half with Mexico

tHE PROBLEM WITH YOUR COMMNET MY FRIEND IS THAT WE DON'T HAVE ANY OF THESE....

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT OTTO NEEDS TO GO OUT AND FIND FROM THE YOUTH OF GREECE AND GO FROM THERE.....

A good performance by Greece. Zagorakis, Basinas, Giannakopoulos, and Fyssas all had good games. I was disappointed not to see us score but oh well, at least we got the tie and the chance to see some of our younger players in action for a prolonged period of time (Papadopoulos should be starting in the future). Tavlaridis looked really shaky and Vyntra made some clear mistakes, but then again, they are younger players so I suppose it's expected.

Paidia, all the trashtalking about charisteas was debatable,,but today i think he played very well as did zagorakis and stelios, all o vrizas itan entelos axristos.. He wasnt fast enough, could dribble for nothing, couldnt get a cross out, he is , was , and will be terrible, other than that and some gaps on defense it was a good game with more than a few chances, and again charisteas impressed me, got by some defenders, got in front, created some chances, made a couple great crosses, and i was impressed, i thought he was only good for headers. Anyway, it seems when nothing was on the line these guys went all out, hopefully they will have the same effort when the game counts... Geia

we finally saw a bit of amanatidi, papadopoulos and gekas. amanatidi doesn't look 100% fit. papadopoulos and gekas seemed fresh and eager. i was disappointed in the cross that papadopoulo missed. he almost looked like he was afraid of the ball. if he does a kefalia 'psaraki', i think he scores.

easier said than done, trust me he knows when to do those ive seen him score like that- problem was the mexican guy was dragging him back to and to the side.....

Guest GreekSoussou

The cross was very close, but it looked like the defender did committ a foul on Papadopoulos. But that is just the opinion of a biast Greek soccer fan.

Otherwise though I believe the Greeks played solid today, but scoring ZERO goals in the tournament is unacceptable

The cross was very close, but it looked like the defender did committ a foul on Papadopoulos. But that is just the opinion of a biast Greek soccer fan.

Otherwise though I believe the Greeks played solid today, but scoring ZERO goals in the tournament is unacceptable

well we all know wut is our Achillies Heel

and that is our offensive approach

yes we played a solid game and we went with an offensive approach and we still counldn't find the back of the net

we haven't scored since we beat Albania in late march

teams goes through your midfield like its nuttin and that is putting enormous pressure on the defensive line and that does explain some of the goals they have given up lately

yes Charisteas showed some life today

Vyrzas is showing lots of effort out there but he is just not a world class striker

he should have buried that huge opportunity he had early into the game

Amanatidis just looked lost out there his control was pretty bad but he needs time as well

Papadopoulos should have scored on that cross from charisteas i ahve no idea how he didn't put it into the net or on goal at least

can somebody also explain to me why are we passing back all the time to Nikopolidis so he can just kick it into the penalty area

i mean during the confederation cup we have done that on average 7 times in a game

who the hell does that anymore

but he looked very good between the posts in this tournament probably the only bright spot

we have alot of work ahead of us

and i don't know where the answers will come from

but we need alot of help to qualify

SHADES OF PORTUGAL. THE ETHNIKI SHOWED SOME LIFE TODAY AND PLAYED A SOLID GAME, BUT THAT GOAL JUST WONT COME BOYS. ZAGORAKI WAS A MAN ON A MISSION IN THE MIDFIELD, AND PAPADOPOULO MUST START ALONG SIDE HARISTEA INSTEAD OF VRYZA. I DONT FEEL COMFORTABLE WITH GOUMA ALONG SIDE KAPSIS AT CENTRE BACK. CANT WAIT FOR THE "TRAIN" DELLAS TO COME BACK. THIS TYPE OF PERFORMANCE BUT WITH CLINICAL FINISHING BOYS WILL TAKE US TO THE FINALS IN GERMANY, BUT LETS PUT THE BALL IN THE BACK OF THE NET ALREADY. FIVE GAMES AND NO GOALS!!! :gr:

Guys who planted a curse on us. It seems like we have not been able to score since Georgia. We have had many close attempts but it seems the g*****eno won't go in. The goal posts have been about as tight as a 30 year old virgin. I hope we can break this bad spell soon.

I'm happy with the tie. Hopefully we're back on the road to respectability. Now we just need to blow away Kazak for some much needed goal scoring confidence.

Don't forget that Mexico had a clear goal dissallowed for offisde that wasn't.

We played little bit better than the other two games. The midfield was improved with Basinas back at his natural position. The game could have gone eitehr way, and I guess the tie is a fair result. Some good saves by Nikopolidis keeping the team in the game.

luck wasn't on their side that day but I guess it evens things out considering Mexico's goal was disallowed when it was clearly not offside.

Charisteas and Vryzas played their best games of the tournament, Charisteas was better with his headers and crossed some decent balls in but he had a breakaway in the first half and I really thought he should have done better on that play. Vryzas played his best game since Albania but wasn't lucky today. Amanatidis, as much as i like him, he was disappointing, lost possesion on almost every first touch but it's obvious he was still injured but at least he tried.

The midfield, what else can i say about Zagorakis, although his passes were sometimes off he held up the midfield very well and had good touches to dribble around Mexicans. Basinas played his best game back in his natural spot and Stelios was all over the place.

Nikopolidis played his best game because he didn't have to handle any crosses :LOL: but he made good saves to keep us alive. Fyssas was great he sent in some good balls but didn't make many attacking runs. Vyntra on the other side disappopinted me, he started the game well and made some good attacking runs but faded later in the first half and was caught out of position several times but played better in the second half. Overall Kapsis was the best defender he was able to cut out offensive threats but his central partner Goumas disappointed me, he didn't play any better than in the other 2 games.

Gekas i think failed to get into the game and didn't do as much as Charisteas/Papadopoulos who seems to be the future on the left side of attack and Amanatidis in the middle, the future looks good. Tavlaridis was really nervous, he made a horrible back pass to give away a corner and i thought he should have subbed Goumas but thats just me.

lets see if Otto continues with 4-3-3 and what other changes he will make

Archived